Superwide in action!

Zaman

Here's a video of me playing my Fender Strat with a Warmoth Superwide maple neck. I'm playing through the Splawn Quickrod which is the best amp I have ever played, and I've owned all kinds of boutique amps. I'll never play anything Mesa again that's for sure. The Strat has a DiMarzio Tone Zone S in the bridge. I am using no effects of any kind.

The Warmoth Superwide (1 7/8" nut) has a FAT Boatneck contour. For me, at least, its a shredder's dream. Enjoy!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTlj52uJtT8[/youtube]

Wow! That sounds great!  My brain doesn't even think as fast as your fingers fly on that neck, very impressive.  And it didn't sound like speed for the sake of speed, very articulate

Next to mayfly your my new fav player on this board

The plastic tote up against the wall was most likely made at the factory I work at.... :icon_biggrin:

Nice chops too.... :party07:

very nice! i'm really starting to love my superwide. at first i was unsure. then i decided it was the greatest innovation of all time in open chords and rhythm playing. now i'm really starting to be able to move around the fretboard pretty well on it. great playing! my superwide doesn't do all those squeals and shredding :dontknow: :icon_biggrin:

I've been down with pneumonia for the past week. No fun!

Thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate it. I just really wonder why Superwide necks have no caught on more. The space it gives you allows for much more accurate and dynamic fretboard action.

I guess I have never played a neck that wide. I would be worried that I would not like it, or that it would take a long time to get used to it.

Zaman said:
The space it gives you allows for much more accurate and dynamic fretboard action.

i definitely second that. it took a while for me to get used to, but i don't think my playing has really come out quite as cleanly before

Zaman said:

Thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate it. I just really wonder why Superwide necks have no caught on more. The space it gives you allows for much more accurate and dynamic fretboard action.

My hands are probably far too small for it. I remember my old kramer 1984 had a huge neck thing sounded great but it just didnt work for me  :(

Love my parker fly though. The neck just feels awesome!! I can't remember a time I felt more comfortable playing a guitar. Soon as I save up the dosh im gonna do a warmoth strat build which ima try get as close to the parker as i can. Everyone needs a strat in their collection!

Zaman said:

no fun at all man. I had pneumonia last year and I was out of school and bed-ridden for 12 days. Good luck and get well soon  :icon_thumright:

elfro89 said:
Zaman said:

My hands are probably far too small for it.   :(

+1, similar situation for me.

Wow thanks for that! I've been thinking of getting the 59 roundback neck contour for my guitar. I have massive hands and it feels so comfortable but I was wondering how shredding would work on that! I guess I have my answer.

Luke said:
59 roundback is heaven. Go for it!  :icon_thumright:

Yup. When you pick up a wizard neck guitar at the store you're like "Whoa! I can fly on this thing!" Sure you can...for about 10 minutes of playing. Its deceptive. Some people love it though. So I guess to each his/her own.

CrackedPepper said:
What happens after 10 minutes?

people claim thin necks give you hand cramps.
never had it happen - but i still HATED playing on a wizard neck. ugh

dNA said:
CrackedPepper said:

I had it happen once, but I can't say it was just from the neck being so thin..

But that's the rumor anyways.

i had an old ibanez RG570 with the original wizard neck. had cramps and pains in my hands for years while playing. just always figured that my hand strength wasn't built up. THEN i got a gibson les paul bfg and realized that the thin neck was what was killing my hands. definitely makes a difference. at least for me!

dNA said:
CrackedPepper said:

I think somewhere along the line somebody somewhere developed hand cramps after playing on a thin neck, drew a cause/effect conclusion where none was justified, and the myth was propogated somehow. Might have been a famous person who made the false leap of logic, so it was given a legitimacy it didn't deserve. Now a lot of people pick up a thin neck and immediately wonder if they're going to get cramps from it, and even participate in furthering the myth.

Any time I've had hand or wrist pain in my fretting (left) hand, or observed it in others, it has always been as a direct result of improper posture, hand orientation, or lack of practice. Neck thickness has never entered into it, although some people will blame it. Beats the snot out of taking responsibility for a personal deficiency.

Given a choice, I will always choose a thin neck. I find I can reach around it more easily, and race around on it more freely. Thick necks require more work and greater reach, and I'm fundamentally lazy <grin>

But, I suppose having an instrument that doesn't get in your way could cause problems - stranger things have happened - so I could be wrong.

I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, so I didn't just pick up an Ibanez one day with a preconceived notion that I was going to develop hand cramps from playing on a thin neck. I have owned the entire Ibanez Jem line and various other Ibanez and Jackson paper thin neck guitars. I worked for Fender as well so I know full well why Charvels, being a lead players guitar, will never have the paper thin necks you find on Ibanez or Jackson.

You will get weaker tone on a thin neck as opposed to a thick neck. That is fact and not myth. Your neck plays a HUGE role in your tone.

You will absolutely get hand fatigue due to the overall lack of support a thin neck offers your hand. When you're playing on a thick neck, you are forced to grip the entire neck and have more resting contact between your hand and the neck itself. On a thin neck its just the tip of your thumb. That is not myth.

Most people who think they have small hands will play just fine on a 1 11/16" nut boatneck contour neck.

Ultimately, there are no set rules as human anatomy doesn't get stamped out on a conveyor belt. If a thin neck is comfortable for you then its the right neck for you. If a thicker neck is your cup of tea then good for you.

Cagey said:
dNA said:
CrackedPepper said:

I think somewhere along the line somebody somewhere developed hand cramps after playing on a thin neck, drew a cause/effect conclusion where none was justified, and the myth was propogated somehow. Might have been a famous person who made the false leap of logic, so it was given a legitimacy it didn't deserve. Now a lot of people pick up a thin neck and immediately wonder if they're going to get cramps from it, and even participate in furthering the myth.

Any time I've had hand or wrist pain in my fretting (left) hand, or observed it in others, it has always been as a direct result of improper posture, hand orientation, or lack of practice. Neck thickness has never entered into it, although some people will blame it. Beats the snot out of taking responsibility for a personal deficiency.

Given a choice, I will always choose a thin neck. I find I can reach around it more easily, and race around on it more freely. Thick necks require more work and greater reach, and I'm fundamentally lazy <grin>

But, I suppose having an instrument that doesn't get in your way could cause problems - stranger things have happened - so I could be wrong.

Zaman said:
(snip)
You will absolutely get hand fatigue due to the overall lack of support a thin neck offers your hand. When you're playing on a thick neck, you are forced to grip the entire neck and have more resting contact between your hand and the neck itself. On a thin neck its just the tip of your thumb. That is not myth.

(more snippage)

Ultimately, there are no set rules as human anatomy doesn't get stamped out on a conveyor belt. If a thin neck is comfortable for you then its the right neck for you. If a thicker neck is your cup of tea then good for you.

I disagree with your first quoted point, and agree as to your second.

If you are talking about straight-ahead rock'n'roll, the way most of us play it, you may have a point - a lot of us grab the whole neck in our clumsy mitts and and fret with the thumb and such, so yes, much more hand-to-neck contact occurs.  But a lot of classical guitarists and jazz purists (and some mere mortals, as well) subscribe to the idea that the ball of your thumb belongs on the back of the neck, and the support is not really supplied by the instrument - it's really a matter of your arm supporting the hand that contacts the neck, and not the neck supporting your hand.  I think you are on to something when you suggest that certain types of playing are facilitated by a thick neck, but I think also that you overgeneralize here.

As for the the second point, well, "we hold these truths to be self-evident."

Peace

Bagman

Back