Superglue finish

Wyliee

I picked up a fretless Deluxe 5 neck a while back. (Just in case I might need one someday....)  I've tried the Pedulla Buzz basses and was impressed with the acrylic fingerboard finish.  Several months ago there was an article in Bass Player magazine by Dan Erlewine that showed him applying a superglue finish to a neck.

I decided to give it a shot.  I used the two superglues Warmoth offers, along with some 0000 steel wool, 100 grit sandpaper and about 800 or 1000 grit.  I used the back of the 100 grit to apply the superglue, starting with thin to fill the grain and then thick superglue for levelling.  What you see is 6 coats done over about two day.  In all, there is about 2 hours of work in the finish.

94350759912_0_ALB.jpg

54350759912_0_ALB.jpg

Now I'll have to build a bass around it to see just how durable the superglue really is.  I was surprised how quickly this was done.  And I didn't accidentally glue anything together!

You once told this (but with less details)
and you said you would give us some pics! We are waiting for!  :icon_biggrin:
Looks like a nice project!

I'd like to see pics, too - I know you're trying....  :icon_biggrin: This must have been done in a dust-free Warmoth booth with goggles, gas mask and all, right? The fumes from that stuff... :evil4:

cool, a friend of mine wanted to pull the frets on his squire and fill with some wood putty for a fretless. i told him super glue would be better/tougher and probably perfect for a fretless. i'll send him these pics so he knows i'm not nuts.

stubhead said:
I'd like to see pics, too - I know you're trying....  :icon_biggrin: This must have been done in a dust-free Warmoth booth with goggles, gas mask and all, right? The fumes from that stuff... :evil4:

Uh, no.  Done almost entirely in my garage.  I took advantage of a Warmoth buffing wheel to get the last little extra polish.

Yes, the fumes were pretty nasty.  A dust mask didn't help too much at all.  Fortunately, each application took about 5 minutes to do and I waited about 30 minutes between coats before sanding down.

John Grisham and Tom Clancy drive me nuts, Dean Koontz is alright....hope there is some good stuff further down that shelf!!! JK,  it is just good to see a reader, they seem to be going extinct.  Oh, and the superglue finish looks fantastic, you better get a body to go with that STAT!

NonsenseTele said:
Is superglue the same of the super bonder glue?? :tard:

don't know. look for the words cyano acrylate. i don't know if this has a spanish or portuguese or what ever is spoken in brazil, sorry i'm an ignorant american and a little rusty on foreign cultures.

:icon_scratch:
Nobody knows the culture of 5% of the world... But I believe you at least should have had learned in scholl that Chemistry, Math, Biology and these things are (bad or well) teached in the entire world... And, like many more things, have not begin/been discovered in USA....  :tard:

DiMitriR33 said:
NonsenseTele said:
Is superglue the same of the super bonder glue?? :tard:

don't know. look for the words cyano acrylate. i don't know if this has a spanish or portuguese or what ever is spoken in brazil, sorry i'm an ignorant american and a little rusty on foreign cultures.

wow that didn't make much sence. it should read.

"i don't know if this has a translation in spanish or portuguese or what ever is spoken in brazil"

i do beleive it should be the same word. but i can't know for sure. there are words for substences that even the brits spell and/or say diferently from us.

That looks pretty cool... not sure how I'd feel about playing on such a glossy fretboard, though.  Let us know...

I've used both epoxy and thick CA with accelerant to fill dings in guitar bodies and necks, which you then sand down. Neither one of them seemed particularly hard to me, certainly no harder than ebony or rosewood.
(I've never sanded pau ferro, yet, much as we love each other  :hello2:).

I know that people who play fretless shorter-scale guitars often go to an auto glass shop and get a glass fretboard made, or even commission a stainless steel one (wallet say "ouchie!"). What are held to be the advantages of filling in the grain gaps in a wood fretboard with a relatively soft material?  :dontknow:

DiMitriR33 said:
wow that didn't make much sence. it should read.

"i don't know if this has a translation in spanish or portuguese or what ever is spoken in brazil"

i do beleive it should be the same word. but i can't know for sure. there are words for substences that even the brits spell and/or say diferently from us.

Yeah!  :)
Sorry for my bad mood, I woke up this morning before I wished (5am instead of 5h30am... I'm not very good in this hours of day  :icon_biggrin:)

It's quite near in portuguese, I just could not find the official site how it's correctly...

Wyliee said:
stubhead said:

Uh, no.  Done almost entirely in my garage.  I took advantage of a Warmoth buffing wheel to get the last little extra polish.

Yes, the fumes were pretty nasty.  A dust mask didn't help too much at all.  Fortunately, each application took about 5 minutes to do and I waited about 30 minutes between coats before sanding down.

Forgive the late reply...You're right, a dust mask won't do anything, you really need a properly fitted respirator.  After all, it is glue you are breathing into your lungs.  But in reality, most hobbyists won't  go to that much trouble. 

However, 3M (and others)  makes a dust mask that is impregnated with carbon and has some capability to filter organic vapors.  It is not intended to provide true protection, but they are cheap and better than just a plan dust mask.  Try googling 3M Model 8247. 

Back