suitable body wood for maple/pau ferro neck

vtpcnk

how many of you have maple/pau ferro necks?

and what is the body wood of the guitar?

i'm basically looking for opinions on a good body wood match for a maple/pau ferro neck - for a thinline.

Seriously?
you must be taking the piss again!!
why don't you open just one 'Thinline' Topic???

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
line6man said:
The Fender SRV Strat has a Maple/Pau Ferro neck on an Alder body.

I was thinking the same, but there is no SRV Thinline...yet.

I don't see why that would make a difference. Alder or Swamp ash are both good ideas. If it was my build I think I would like to try mahogany.

If there is one thing that this forum has taught me, it's this.  The thickness of and variety of wood used for the neck effects the tone far more than the body ever could simply because thats were the majority of the scale length is.  Don't believe me, what are the tops of most Les Pauls that have solid finishes made of?  Probably not maple.  The effect of a cap on the tone is neglible, solely for looks.  Besides, for the sake of the LP analogy, whether it's a TOM Stoptail or OFR, the posts should be anchored well into the body wood and not the cap anyway.  This is on solid bodies, a Thinline may throw that out the window.  A thing to remember too, in theory a laminant top and body should not even be touching each other no matter how firmly compressed during drying.  They should both be touching the same piece of dried glue.  What are the good tone glues out there that make those two dissimilar woods sound good together?

To quote Tfarny, quoting Ken Warmoth,

We’re glad to
answer questions about woods and tones, but this can really
be addressed in rather broad generalities, since there is no
exact science to it. Not only does each individual piece of
wood have its own tone, but everyone hears things a little dif -
ferently, and the spectrum of pickups available is just huge. It
is much easier to work on the dimensional specifications of a
piece than on the tone.
- Ken Warmoth 2002

Are you thinking a natural / clear finish or a dye or a solid colour.  If natural / clear then it becomes more important, however as can be seen from the large number of variations in the pictures on this site,"beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  Search on Pau Ferro and go with something you like the look of.  :glasses9:

I have a Maple neck with a Pau Ferro Fretboard...on a gecko :laughing3:
I like it. it's stong and clear, not too bright and clangy, very stable and resistant to temperature changes, the Pau Ferro looks great too.

The body is Koa. I love the combination. The Koa is a little bit heavy, but as your building a thinline, it won't matter much 'cause it'll be hollow.

For my bass, the wood combo balances well and is very comfy.

My 2 cents.

>Are you thinking a natural / clear finish or a dye or a solid colour.

i was more interested in matching tone woods - not the finish or colour.

because mahogany body with mahogany neck seems to be the preference - so was worried if a maple neck (with a pf fretboard) would go well with a mahogany body (with a maple cap).

thanks.

vtpcnk said:
>Are you thinking a natural / clear finish or a dye or a solid colour.

i was more interested in matching tone woods - not the finish or colour.

because mahogany body with mahogany neck seems to be the preference - so was worried if a maple neck (with a pf fretboard) would go well with a mahogany body (with a maple cap).

thanks.

Warmoth have some good notes on their website regarding the tone qualities of the various woods they use.  I think the contrast betewee the maple and mahogany / Pau Ferro would look good  :glasses9:

I have a Warmoth tele with a maple / pau ferro neck - the body is solid mahogany with a candy tangerine finish. I have fitted a Fender noiseless tele pickup set & Danny Gatton tele bridge. The guitar has a tight snapply typical telecaster type of tone with perhaps slightly more sustain than my 52 Fender Reissue Tele (Swamp Ash / Maple / Maple). I am very happy with the tone.

I have a Warmoth tele with a maple / pau ferro neck - the body is solid mahogany with a candy tangerine finish. I have fitted a Fender noiseless tele pickup set & Danny Gatton tele bridge. The guitar has a tight snapply typical telecaster type of tone with perhaps slightly more sustain than my 52 Fender Reissue Tele (Swamp Ash / Maple / Maple). I am very happy with the tone.

I have a classical with a pau ferro board.  The sound has more snap than rosewood, and more warmth than ebony.

I am about to venture down this same road as well, that is find the good combination with maple/pao ferro.  I am buying a MIM fender strat and going to switch the neck from the standard rosewood to the Warmoth maple/pao ferrro and assess the tonal changes. 
There were some good comments on the Suhr guitar building website to look at as well. :guitaristgif:

Back