Suhr “natural oil finish”

bruzanhd

I’ve just tried out a Suhr Reb Beach model and the body had a natural oil finish. I really liked the feel of it. I’m wondering what they use if anybody here knows. Tung oil? Tru Oil? Something else? Any wisdom appreciated.

The Suhr Reb Beach has a Natural Body Color, finished in oil. So it is not natural oil as such but which oil Suhr use would be speculative.

Both Tung oil, Tru-oil, in addition to boiled linseed oil and Danish oil etc are possibilities for an oil finish body.

Tru-Oil is really an oil based varnish, so my vote would be on something more like Watco oil (Danish).

Triple Jim said:
Tru-Oil is really an oil based varnish, so my vote would be on something more like Watco oil (Danish).

Fender Custom Shop and Musikraft use danish oil as their "aged oil" on necks, it's so that would be a solid bet. But, danish oil is also a varnish that becomes "hard satin" (according to Watco).

John Suhr has recommended Emmet's Good Stuff for people who have necks that need to be sealed and still want a "raw" feel to the wood, but it's not something anyone would advertise as a oil finish, it's a wipe-on stain urethane.

DuckBaloo said:
Fender Custom Shop and Musikraft use danish oil as their "aged oil" on necks, it's so that would be a solid bet. But, Watco danish oil is also a varnish that dries into a hard satin.

John Suhr has recommended Emmet's Good Stuff for people who have necks that need to be sealed and still want a "raw" feel to the wood, but it's not something anyone would advertise as a oil finish, it's a wipe-on stain urethane.

I have to wonder what Warmoth put on my "unfinished" roasted maple necks.  The literature says they were treated with a sealer, and it smells like some kind of oil.  They sure smell good.

stratamania said:
The Suhr Reb Beach has a Natural Body Color, finished in oil. So it is not natural oil as such but which oil Suhr use would be speculative.

Both Tung oil, Tru-oil, in addition to boiled linseed oil and Danish oil etc are possibilities for an oil finish body.

Danish oil is an interesting possibility I’ll have to look into. I only called it “natural” because that’s what they call it on their website; “natural oiled finish”. If it was a neck I’d just use tung or linseed but I’d never felt a body finished in oil like that before so I was very intrigued by it.

John Suhr is a regular over at The Gear Page (user name: Husky), you might try posting there.

bruzanhd said:
stratamania said:

Danish oil is an interesting possibility I’ll have to look into. I only called it “natural” because that’s what they call it on their website; “natural oiled finish”. If it was a neck I’d just use tung or linseed but I’d never felt a body finished in oil like that before so I was very intrigued by it.

On Suhr's website it says what I mentioned earlier. Natural Body Color, finished in oil, which is different than saying a "natural oiled finish". It is in all likelihood an oil based finish such as Danish oil rather than a natural oil.

Direct from Suhr.

BODY
2-Piece Koa Body Wood
Natural Body Color
Oil Finish

stratamania said:
bruzanhd said:
stratamania said:

On Suhr's website it says what I mentioned earlier. Natural Body Color, finished in oil, which is different than saying a "natural oiled finish". It is in all likelihood an oil based finish such as Danish oil rather than a natural oil.

Direct from Suhr.

BODY
2-Piece Koa Body Wood
Natural Body Color
Oil Finish

A yes I see that. You’re correct. I was just looking at some random reverb listings and such and so the term I had mentioned got caught in my mind. I think danish oil makes sense now that I’ve read about it a little. Thanks for the recommendation 👌🤘

No worries, hope the project works out, and remember to share your progress... :icon_thumright:

Back