Suggested new routes for bass bodies

rubendlr

How about -
• Reverse P, a la Spector and others.
• Slant J and Reverse Slant J
• Filtertron/TVJones
• Guitar sized humbucker
• Delano Xtender, both single oval and pseudo P spilt styles.
?

What do you think?

How about P and reverse P in a bridge position?  BC Rich have basses with two P pickups, and I've seen them here and there for awhile.  Why not give DIYs the option to make their own double P pickups axe.

How cool would that be?

Attachments

• doubleptrouble.jpg
    doubleptrouble.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 384
There was a P-bass in the showcase recently - a screaming deal - with routed for a std P neck and a reverse P bridge. It seems W will do all sorts of 'off-menu' things if you ask.

Yeah, but when your wallet is on a "diet", looking "off the menu" can sure hurt.

swarfrat said:
Yeah, but when your wallet is on a "diet", looking "off the menu" can sure hurt.
Ain't that the truth. Better keep an eye on the showcase then (because that's not dangerous to your wallet at all).

Yeah, another cool one would be to be able to get a J Pickup in the neck while keeping an MM in the sweet spot, a la Music Man's HS models.  If you get the MM in the sweet spot rather than bridge position, you lose the option for a second pickup of any type.  While I'm it, I think it would be cool to have other pickups available in the sweet spot.  EMG sized soapbars, TV Jones bass pickups, and the Guild/Dark Star/Novak Bisonic pickups come to mind as possible candidates for this route.

rubendlr said:
• Reverse P, a la Spector and others.
• Slant J and Reverse Slant J

Don't they do this already? It used to be a $45 upcharge.

rubendlr said:
• Filtertron/TVJones
• Guitar sized humbucker

I'm fairly sure they could do this, as well. You just have to call in and ask nicely.

The term “sweet spot” is a very ambiguous term. There is nothing "magical" about it, really. There are different "sweet spots" for different pickups. When it comes to these oddball pickups, that makes it a very difficult problem to wrangle. Where are the "sweet spots" located for these various pickups? Do we just corral them all into one generic "sweet spot" position and call it day? Do we take the time to hunt down original examples of all the basses in question, measure for exact "sweet spot" location, write the CNC programming for each, cut and assemble multiple bodies to test every "sweet spot" rout for compatibility with all our other options, etc etc...for a pickup rout that we might sell once a year?

It's one of those things that sounds great on the surface, but when you are the one faced with actually bringing a product to market you quickly realize the potential reward is not worth the investment.

The trouble with the choosing a Music Man pickup in the sweet spot along with a normal-position neck J or P is that the routs collide. So again, do we take the time to R&D alternate J/P neck position routs, when the potential return is selling 1 or 2 a year?

Not trying to pick on you rubendlr...just offering some insight.  :icon_thumright:

Oh, I know you're not picking on me.  I believe they collide when you put the neck Jazz pickup where Fender traditionally puts it, but that's not what I meant or want.  I mean to put a J pickup where Music Man puts their single coil.  Like in this picture of a Stingray HS.  The bridge pickup is the same place it always is, the so called sweet spot.  You can tell because the pickguard is not any different that one on a normal MM bass, except for the fact that there is a single coil in the neck position.  I do believe that that route is significantly further from the bridge than the neck pickup is on a Fender Jazz. So yeah, you couldn't do the standard J neck route, but a totally different one that is closer to the neck.  The basses share the same 34 inch scale, but the pickup positions are completely different. 

But I get your drift on doing all those pickups in the so called sweet spot.  You're right, they are not MM pickups so who knows if they would even work there. 

But to further show you what I meant on my original suggestion, here is a Sterling bass whose pickups have been replaced. You can see the bridge pickup is where it always is and that the neck pickup is a J style rather than the original Music Man single coil which doesn't have the same mounting tangs a J pickup does, but is pretty close to it in dimensions.

Heck, while I'm at it, Warmoth doing a MM style pickguard would be cool too, and yes I realize that the control route is completely different from a Precision, but since this is all pie in sky stuff anyway, why not?  As has been mentioned before in this forum, there has been 3 maybe 4 suggestions from members/customers that actually ever got implemented.  So yeah, but I guy can dream, right? 

Attachments

• mmhs.jpg
    mmhs.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 422
  • modifiedstingray.jpg
    modifiedstingray.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 434
Back