Studs! :-D

ChrisMC

I called to see if I still had time with my build to mail them my studs to install, since I don't own a drill press (yes I know you don't 'have' to use a drill press to install them, but that's one of the more safe ways to be sure they go in straight and true), and since my body is in paint...the guy (not Spike, it was someone else) said, "Paint takes WEEKS...yeah, you have time."  So I mailed them. That's one less thing I have to worry about when I receive that gorgeous hunka swamp ash and flame maple. 

Not my original ones though....heck no...occasionally, I know it's difficult to imagine...but occasionally, all the major carriers (yes, even FedEx...even UPS...even USPS...even....all of them) lose a package.  The ones that came with the Floyd unit are still sealed in their original packaging.  I bought two more, and shipped those.  They received them today.  I left them a note.  I hope they got the reference.  If not they'll think I'm weird.  :icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• Just Tap it in!.jpg
    Just Tap it in!.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 156
Nice, I may do the same. I had not ordered the bridge when I ordered the body, so I didn't think I would have it in time. But now that it's taking longer, I may have time. It's only been 8 weeks and my body is getting dyed and bound so it could take up to 16 weeks!

I typically use flat mount bridges, so I didn't look at this one. Then I thought, maybe it's addressed to me? JK

Yes a drill press is "ideal", but any sort of perpendicularizer would be fine. Perhaps the easiest it just to use a long punch that you can ensure is vertical.

on my LP Junior, I just threaded bolts into the studs, then used a rubber mallet to (slowly) put them in.  I checked the backside about 100 times to make sure I didn't have a 440 screw or something between the body and bench before I started  :)

Mayfly said:
on my LP Junior, I just threaded bolts into the studs, then used a rubber mallet to (slowly) put them in.  I checked the backside about 100 times to make sure I didn't have a 440 screw or something between the body and bench before I started  :)

This is pretty much how I've done all of mine, except that instead of screwing bolts in to the studs I put a dowel rod in the cup and beat on that.

A roll pin punch would be ideal. Something you tap three times and then screw something in and never touch again is probably ok, but I killed a car jack in one tire change using an impact driver (not a hammer drill. Just an impact driver. Pact driver has torque peaks but not the axial  load of a hammer drill)

stratamania said:
An easier way to do it is buy the studs from Warmoth and have those installed.

That would indeed be the easier way to do it, if only they had them in stock, which at the time of placing my order, they did not, in which case…that becomes the more difficult and delayed way to do it. So I jumped on Reverb and bought my Floyd unit, and subsequently bought the second set of studs and mailed them in.

Back