String Trees, Telecasters, and Barbara Mandrell.

Glimmer said:
Surf n Music said:
If you order an actual set from schaller they come staggered. I think Warmoth sells them in singles so they are all a standard length. My set of schallers from the factory are staggered.

Hmmm. Mine won't ship until the neck's ready, and that's going to be a few weeks. Wonder if I should cancel them and get them from Schaller directly...  :icon_scratch:

I like them being staggered. Even the complete sets off ebay are staggered for the locking ones and you get em quicker. I only go direct from schaller with different type finishes. It is a personal choice but I would.

vikingred said:
I am going to agonize for hours over the placement of these.  They're going on a canary vintage strat headstock.  I do know they go UNDER the strings.  But, but, but, where?  Template?  Guess?  No, I'm not going to my local tech.  I insist on doing it myself!  I guess I could look at internet pics....  :help:

[youtube]ND63_SHrScM[/youtube]

Surf n Music said:
Glimmer said:
Surf n Music said:
If you order an actual set from schaller they come staggered. I think Warmoth sells them in singles so they are all a standard length. My set of schallers from the factory are staggered.

Hmmm. Mine won't ship until the neck's ready, and that's going to be a few weeks. Wonder if I should cancel them and get them from Schaller directly...  :icon_scratch:

I like them being staggered. Even the complete sets off ebay are staggered for the locking ones and you get em quicker. I only go direct from schaller with different type finishes. It is a personal choice but I would.

Googled "schaller string tree" and nothing.  Sorry to be a moron (I'm busy at work), but where???

vikingred said:
Surf n Music said:
Glimmer said:
Surf n Music said:

Googled "schaller string tree" and nothing.  Sorry to be a moron (I'm busy at work), but where???

We were talking staggered schaller tuners. I don't think schaller has  the string trees. Those ones you found look pretty darn nice. As far as string trees go those look cream of the crop.

Yah dude.  This guitar is gonna be a MACHINE.  I am loving the feel and mojo of this more than any build so far.  The frikkin' Spalted Maple Strat.  The Bare Knuckle Warpigs are insane.  Especially through the JHS Muffellatta. 

Check out these string trees:

16398953081_ce68383bc5_b.jpg

WOW!  :toothy10:

They're on on's spalted maple Tele, a real beaut IMO.

Are they the same as yours?

Those look really nice.  Yes, I think mine are the same, only gold.  That pic is just badass.  It almost made me jones for a telecaster.  I now have 7 strats.  1 old strat, 3 warmoths complete, 1 almost complete, 1 basswood unfinished to be woodburned, and one soloist.  Never a tele.  It just seems so "country".  And country I am not.  But, I like the "Telebastard" in that work in progress thread.  T E L E C A S T E R.  T-E-L-E-C-A-S-T-E-R.  TELECASTER!  :help:

Permit me to encourage you in a Telecaster-ly direction.  And by all means, give the carved-top Tele some thought.  They are very, very comfy to play, in addition to being quite attractive to look at.

See, e.g., Quty Pie.

peace

Bagman

vikingred said:
Those look really nice.  Yes, I think mine are the same, only gold.  That pic is just badass.  It almost made me jones for a telecaster.  I now have 7 strats.  1 old strat, 3 warmoths complete, 1 almost complete, 1 basswood unfinished to be woodburned, and one soloist.  Never a tele.  It just seems so "country".  And country I am not.  But, I like the "Telebastard" in that work in progress thread.  T E L E C A S T E R.  T-E-L-E-C-A-S-T-E-R.  TELECASTER!  :help:

As you must know, Jimmy Page played a Tele in the Yardbirds and at the beginning of LZ. Ain't no twang on the first Zep LP.

(On another note, I recall reading somewhere the Hendrix had tried a Tele and didn't like it. Said it had only two sounds: bad and worse.  :icon_smile: )

vikingred said:
Yah dude.  This guitar is gonna be a MACHINE.  I am loving the feel and mojo of this more than any build so far.  The frikkin' Spalted Maple Strat.  The Bare Knuckle Warpigs are insane.  Especially through the JHS Muffellatta.

Ha those pups got some serious output. It is gonna be a shredda!  :headbang:

Glimmer said:
vikingred said:

As you must know, Jimmy Page played a Tele in the Yardbirds and at the beginning of LZ. Ain't no twang on the first Zep LP.

(On another note, I recall reading somewhere the Hendrix had tried a Tele and didn't like it. Said it had only two sounds: bad and worse.  :icon_smile: )

The telecaster is easily the most expressive instrument I've ever played.  And the list of instruments includes guitar, mandolin, mandochello, flute, tenor sax, tin whistle, harmonica, drums/percussion, trombone, piano, organ, and voice.

Telecaster trumps them all for just pure expression.

All this Tele talk and I forgot to share a pick of mine:

YD7DAzR.jpg

It's a '64, alder body, maple/rw neck, in oly white with a forearm sweatburst accented by dings, dents, gouges and chips of a various sizes and a generous dose of buckle rash on the back. It wasn't relicked, aged, or distressed, just played and not fussed over. Currently strung with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 12s.

:glasses10:

That's how a guitar is supposed to get worn.  Lovely axe.

And speaking of Telecasters, consider this piece by one of the foremost practitioners of Telecasting active today, Jim Campilongo, in tribute to one of the gods of yesteryear, Roy Buchanan:

[youtube]dD5rCNr-8aU[/youtube]

Mayfly said:
Glimmer said:
vikingred said:

The telecaster is easily the most expressive instrument I've ever played.  And the list of instruments includes guitar, mandolin, mandochello, flute, tenor sax, tin whistle, harmonica, drums/percussion, trombone, piano, organ, and voice.

Telecaster trumps them all for just pure expression.

Are you trying to make me GAS for one?  Stop ya'll.  You know I'll do it.  And I don't wanna do it.  I don't.  Wanna do it.

Very nice, Bagman67. Here's one for you, RB doing "Misty":

[youtube]_x1i_gXfGec[/youtube]

Enjoy.

I didn't get my first Telecaster or even spend any time playing one until I had already been playing guitar for over 20 years.  Having finally heard the word, I have:

Not.

One.

Regret.

Glimmer said:
Very nice, Bagman67. Here's one for you, RB doing "Misty":

[youtube]_x1i_gXfGec[/youtube]

Enjoy.

DEM FINGERNAILS!  Man.  Ok.  Really, I can't do this right now, I've got 2 strats and a soloist in progress.  Next year, I'll do a tele.  Maybe.  They are cool.

Back