String sets--standard or custom

How do you guys buy your string sets?

• standard gauge 6-string package

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Custom string set made from my own pick of strings

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Hmm, I've been using a 10-52 set for the past couple years. And I can never decide if I want to increase the gauges of the trebles, or lower the gauges of the basses.

My thinking is this . . .

String-bending(NON-tremelo/fixed bridge)guitar players that do the natural "wrist vibrato" prefer Lighter gauges.(Wrist/finger fatigue)
Floyd Rose users think a thicker gauge = less string breakage
Low Tuners prefer heavier gauges. (String Flutter)
Sustain lovers think a heavier gauge produces greater sustain .
Tone lovers think heavier gauge = heavier tone

Maybe just smoke up my -_ _ _ ?

kreig said:
My thinking is this . . .

String-bending(NON-tremelo/fixed bridge)guitar players that do the natural "wrist vibrato" prefer Lighter gauges.(Wrist/finger fatigue)
Floyd Rose users think a thicker gauge = less string breakage
Low Tuners prefer heavier gauges. (String Flutter)
Sustain lovers think a heavier gauge produces greater sustain .
Tone lovers think heavier gauge = heavier tone

Maybe just smoke up my -_ _ _ ?

I guess you can put me in the sustain lover/tone lover camp.  But I play hardtails and use "wrist" vibrato even with 12s.

I disagree about Floyd players... they tend to play 9s or even lighter in my experience

Blue313 said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Custom
:icon_biggrin:
013 - .015 - .023 - .034 - .042 - .060

Looks like a set of .012's with both E's swapped out for even heavier ones...that poor neck. :sad:  Is this a baritone or an acoustic? :laughing7:
Is my Epi sg, i just had to play wit the truss rod

Thou shalt use Fender 150 pure nickle wrap strings, and be happy with them like Leo said to be!

=CB= said:
Thou shalt use Fender 150 pure nickle wrap strings, and be happy with them like Leo said to be!

And watch as my fingers fall off one by one?  :tard:
I play Fender Stainless 10-46 but I'm investigating other nickel-free options. Would there be a big jump, tone-wise, between these and D'Addario Chromes? And are those completely nickel free? My fingertips usually start itching after 10 to 15 seconds of playing whenever I try a guitar in a store  :-\

kboman said:
=CB= said:

And watch as my fingers fall off one by one?  :tard:
I play Fender Stainless 10-46 but I'm investigating other nickel-free options. Would there be a big jump, tone-wise, between these and D'Addario Chromes? And are those completely nickel free? My fingertips usually start itching after 10 to 15 seconds of playing whenever I try a guitar in a store  :-\

Have you tried ProSteels? I'm not sure if they have nickel or not but I don't think the allow has a lot of it if they do. Chromes are flat wound and supposed to be more mellow sounding. ProSteels are "super bright"
http://www.daddario.com/DADFElectric.aspx?ID=1

GoDrex said:
Have you tried ProSteels? I'm not sure if they have nickel or not but I don't think the allow has a lot of it if they do. Chromes are flat wound and supposed to be more mellow sounding. ProSteels are "super bright"
http://www.daddario.com/DADFElectric.aspx?ID=1

I haven't, but they are on my "To try"-list :) Just interested to see if anyone here already had some input. I've never noticed much difference between different kinds of strings sound-wise, but feel is always noticable. Elixirs, for example, feel great - but they last half has long as other strings and are twice the price...

I have a couple of sets of prosteels - just waiting for some other strings to wear out before trying them. I usually use the typical nickel plated steel. Thinking of trying pure nickel on my strat, to see if there's a difference in tone.

I use Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkeys (12-56 I think). I like 'em alot, having come from 6 years in acousticland playing mostly a 12-string strung with 11's or 12's. I used 10's once and they felt like playing spaghetti. So now I can swap from electric to acoustic and the acoustic is easier to play!  :blob7:

Whether there's a real difference in sound or not, you feel like you're sounding better when you're playing heavier stuff.

I have Elixirs on my acoustic, and 'been using Ernie Balls on my electrics for 20 years...

btw , I put d'addario XL 009-42's on my acoustics... it TOTALLY reduces the "noise artifact" when your fretboard fingers slide across the strings as you are playing . Easier to bend strings as well . . . TOTAL GUITAR PLAYER WISDOM ! ! ! ! :hello2:

TheTurtleMaster has spoken

EDIT *please note that the XL 009's are for "Electric" , as these are nickel, not bronze.

kreig said:
btw , I put d'addario XL 009-42's on my acoustics... it TOTALLY reduces the "noise artifact" when your fretboard fingers slide across the strings as you are playing . Easier to bend strings as well . . . TOTAL GUITAR PLAYER WISDOM ! ! ! ! :hello2:

TheTurtleMaster has spoken

I like the D'Addario 010-047 (EJ-15) for my acoustic. I only recently tried a set of Elixirs on there...

Custom
:icon_biggrin:
013 - .015 - .023 - .034 - .042 - .060
As i said, i THINK thats it, i'm not sure, but they're colse to GHS Zakk boomers.
As far as I know, his GHS sets were .010"-.050" and .010"-.060"  :icon_thumright:

Back