StratoPaul in the works

Suzanne

Hi Folks, I've been lurking here for a few years - lurking because I have simply been SLACKING on my first Warmoth build. I couldn't afford to finish the project, but now I can and it *should* be done within a couple of weeks! I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing all of the amazing guitars you all have assembled along the way. I share the passion and frankly hanging out here with you people is not good for my checkbook! Mully I saw your white strat with the natural binding and vintage pearl PG and ebony FB and nearly fell out of my chair. Not surprising that one won GOTHY.

Anyway, here's the detail on what I have brewing. I have a beautiful mahogany LP body, tobacco burst, gloss black back. I had a blingy Brazilian Rosewood neck on mahogany built to match it, but in the end, I did not like the neck style at all - never have. I realize the purists may gasp at such blasphemy :tard: but you know how it is when you like and dislike something. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. SO... I just ordered another neck to complete this - A STRAT NECK, Goncalo Alves with Black Ebony on the FB. Call me a sinner, but I LOVE the Strat neck on the LP body. THIS I will be happy with. I'm more of a Strat girl in the end, but I wanted something that had that true Gibson sound. This Gibby knock-off will just play like a Strat, that's all ;)  Maybe I'll start a trend.

Here's a picture of the body with the original neck, some close-ups of the neck inlays, the headstock and then the Photoshop mock-up of the body with the neck on on order.

stratopaul-origneck-full.jpg

stratopaul-origneck.jpg

stratopaul-origneck-headstock.jpg

This is what is should look like when complete... super clean, no inlays, gold strings even

stratopaul.jpg

I'll post new pictures when it's complete.

Welcome aboard, although usually I'm outside the box, and I'm akin to being non-traditional. I like your LP the way it is, but in the end as you say, it's your guitar... :rock-on:

I like your body the way it is  :doh: .....  I mean the whole guitar the way it is.  :icon_biggrin:

But .... thats what Warmoth is all about, you do what you want and would like.
Kudos to you  :icon_thumright:

I'm having trouble making up my mind. Love the body, love both necks. I prefer Strat necks myself, but there's nothing wrong with side-by-side designs. I seriously doubt the Strat neck is going to improve playability at all - it's not the neck that makes Les Paul designs awkward to play - so no gain there. I guess for me it comes down to appearance. The Strat neck on an LP body is a bit jarring. The Les Paul is an iconic design. Break the lines, and it's just... off. I guess I'd leave the side-by-side neck on there and buy a Strat or Tele body to put the other neck on. Then you are having twice times great fiddle! What could possibly be wrong with that?

I think it'll be great! My new warmoth (vote for it in the guitar of the month!) has an ebony fb with no inlays - and it's fantastic. Gold frets even. The black ebony fb is the best fingerboard I've ever played on, ever.

It's really funny (and great) how we all like different things.  I wouldn't put two humbuckers on a strat or a set of single coils on an LP.  Why?  Only because it just doesn't look right to me.  But to someone else it may look just fine and if it's what appeals to them, then that's great.

I like the pics of the guitar as it was setup, but if a Strat neck looks good to you, then go for it.  I want to build an LP and would go with a Warmoth style headstock.  It's still the 3+3 layout of the LP headstock.  For some reason the Warmoth LP headstocks don't look quite right to me.  I don't know if they're slightly off or is just a visual thing from the missing logo at the top.

That's what's great about The Moth, you do what YOU like. There's a lot of traditionalists here, but also a lot of open minded people about being a unique individual. I like it both ways- your choices for the traditional look, then your personal preference. Welcome... :eek:ccasion14:

Not my taste either to be honest ... but who cares what anyone else thinks as long as it works for you  :headbang1:

oh wait, what?! a strat neck? It's not just blasphemous, it's just....

:dontknow:

:icon_scratch:

:help:

sduck said:
I think it'll be great! My new warmoth (vote for it in the guitar of the month!) has an ebony fb with no inlays - and it's fantastic. Gold frets even. The black ebony fb is the best fingerboard I've ever played on, ever.

I gotta agree. LOVE ebony. I've got the first-run LE Les Paul Robot with ebony and, although I would call myself a maple fan, I prefer that ebony fb to both my (maple) strat and tele necks... I think it's the fact it's unfinished so that's primarily what I'm hoping for in this new neck - unfinished all around. Plus, (sorry hard-core traditionalists) I just can't get over the look of it. Makes me smile and I'm probably guaranteed to have the only one on the planet ;)

I say build the strat...and send me that neck ASAP...it is awful :laughing8:

Seriously...I love it the way it is.  The gold hardware haters will soon chime in but I love it.

Ironically I'm not a fan of the gold so much either, but I chose to go this route on this guitar just to change things up. Everything else I own is chrome.

Now about that neck har har... I probably WILL sell it. I just don't like it... it's the gold inlays that actually put me over the top. Otherwise I might have stuck with it.

Anyway, that neck is mahogany with a gloss black finish on the back and a tobacco burst on the headstock. The FB is Brazilian Rosewood. Gold 6150 frets, gold inlay. There's no binding on the neck. It's strat length. That cost me just over $700 (gah) and I'm willing to let it go at a significant discount if anyone is actually interested. $400 plus shipping U.S. only. I think I have my account set for private messages or email. Contact me.

The gloss black on the neck?  That may have killed it for me.  Post a photo.  What profile?

Suzanne you're on the right track in my book.  Guitar looks awesome with the neck.  Consider this rockin' example of a warmoth neck and body taken to the extreme.  Your cool factor just went way up.  Don't discredit the neck for the inlays.  I don't consider it bling at all.  If you play live, it will look cool under the stage lights.  Something to think about.

Attachments

• joe perry rs guitarworks guitar.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 472
Oh man that is awesome! I love that! I really love some of these guitars where people have considered the artful nature of it as well as its ability to sing. I love the steampunk look some people are doing now too. Very cool.

Well, today I'm here to tell you that I have the guitar back from the luthier who did the set up for me and I am shocked at how amazing this thing looks  :eek:  I was a little worried there because my Photoshop mock-up has the body looking much more orangey than it is and when I put that black ebony fb neck on there, things seemed dark. Well forget that. The gold frets and gold strings brightened everything up.

I just realized I never posted the photos of the neck when it arrived! Sorry to sound girly but I almost cried when I took the neck outta the box. It's incredible (see photos) INCREDIBLE. Goncalo Alves with ebony fretboard and the Goncalo they chose for me was out of this world. Absolutely a stunning neck - no inlays.

Anyway, here are the final specs:

Mahogany chambered body w/ natural binding and tobacco burst finish
Goncalo Alves neck with ebony fretboard - natural, no finish
Schaller mini locking tuners
Graph Tech black TUSQ XL nut
Optima 9's gold $30 strings there cough hack
Gold 6150 frets
Gibson Burstbucker Pros in both positions
Schaller strap locks
Gotoh bridge

Everything is gold (true, I am NOT a fan of gold either, but this guitar wanted gold and it works. who am I to get in its way?)

The luthier used .11 capacitors, not .22. He made a few decisions on my behalf HUM... but I'm not that experienced to have my own opinions on that so for now I'll trust his ideas and make changes later if necessary.

The guitar has an amazing warm, bright and fat tone. The strings (I think) give it a more metallic, chimey sound as well when you have the bridge pickup active.

As far as the Strat neck on the Les Paul body? Well, that will forever be a topic of conversation. Love it or hate it, this guitar has a soul unlike any other. Enjoy the photos.

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg