Strat type guitar assembly started.

I did the wiring last night. It went well, but I fryed one pot, but I had a spare. Those Warmoth pots must be very delicate, because I have never ruined a pot before.  :icon_scratch: I will probably replace the harness with something from RS guitarworks later. But it sounds great now. I loose some highs when volume goes down, I might try some vintage wiring.

I have it wired 2 volumes and 1 tone (not easy geting decent diagram for that).

kagp3zmq_IMG_9148.JPG

9v9fevfk_IMG_9150.JPG

But now the guitar is DONE and I´m very happy with it.  :eek:ccasion14:

I will find time soon to take decent photos of it outside. :)

Gilmore said:
I did the wiring last night. It went well, but I fryed one pot, but I had a spare. Those Warmoth pots must be very delicate, because I have never ruined a pot before.  :icon_scratch: I will probably replace the harness with something from RS guitarworks later. But it sounds great now. I loose some highs when volume goes down, I might try some vintage wiring.

Warmoth doesn't make pots; they just source those CTS things everybody raves about. They're actually nothing special, but they're better than nothing. If you want a good pot, you have to buy a milspec Clarostat. They're pricey little rascals, but they're sealed and they last more than a week.

As for losing highs when you turn the volume down, what you want is a treble bypass cap on your volume pot. That'll take care of that problem. It's just a very small (usually .001uf) cap to give you a bit of a high-pass filter. Values, schemes and diagrams are at the link.

Cagey said:
It happens. The vibrato springs have a resonant point to them and will vibrate in sympathy with certain notes/chords. What some guys do is get some 1/4" surgical tubing, and slide it inside the springs. It has a deadening effect, so the ringing sound goes away. It works well, because it expands/contracts with the springs as you use the vibrato. Also, because it's silicone, it lasts a very long time.

I've also seen this done with strips cut from packing foam - sort of like the foam you might find in a photography lens case. It's always good to have a few options to skin the same cat - depending on what you have on hand at the time.

Back