Strat #2, almost done

DocNrock

Master Member
fstrat.jpg

fstrat2.jpg

back-1.jpg

head-1.jpg

neckbody.jpg

Hope you like it as much as I do.  The body is chambered black korina with a flamed korina top.  The neck is wenge, with an ebony fingerboard, mop dots, and SS frets.

The pups are Rio Grandes.  Muy Grande at the bridge, Dirty Harry Jr. middle, and Tallboy neck.  The electronics are somewhat unique, I think.  The volume and tone pots are 280 and 250k CTS, the cap is a Jensen paper/oil 0.047uf, and the third "tone" is a voodoo tone mid shaper by Rothstein Guitars.  I'm looking forward to stringing this bad boy up tomorrow and plugging in!

:cool01:

Stunning, Doc.  I still think you should blacken the f-hole.  But I assume it looks brighter than usual in the camera flash?

I would've loved this guitar more than now with 2 other things:
1: no pickguard! I hate pickguards on nice woods.
2: humbuckers (3 times, please) instead of singlecoils. I dont like singlecoils (except p90's, and not even as my main pickup, but as a secondarry)

but still...I wish I could make as many warmoth's as you can!!

Seeing the front of the axe clearly, I would definitely blacken the inside of the f-hole on this one

Dbw:  Thanks!  You are absolutely correct.  The flash really brought out the f-hole.  It is not nearly that "bright" in person.

Orpheo (and Wana):  The pickguard was a necessary evil given that the body came top-routed.  That said, I'm thinking about eventually changing it to tortoise shell.  Regarding the pups, every guitar I have has at least one bucker.  For this particular build, I wanted to go with single coils, albeit spankin' hot single coils, just for the hell of it.  And regarding the number of Warmoths, this is only my second complete build.  I think I have a ways to go to catch up to you, my friend!

Jack:  I may still, but like I said above, it is really much more subtle in person.

Here's a pic under more ambient lighting:

sfday.jpg

Dude, I like the pickguard.  In general, I'm not a fan of the straight wood look, but with the black pickguard and hardware, I actually dig it.  I like it just the way it is.

I think it looks great how it is. Tortoise shell would be too busy (for me) on that wood. I tend to think if you have a lot going on with the wood you should go plain with the pickguard. And tortoise works best (though I don't really like it at all) with a solid color paint job or very plain wood. But I could be wrong. Seems like with black hardware, black looks the best.

Big agree on the tortoise... too busy.

I still say blacken the f-hole... not enough contrast in certain lighting.

Mr Real Nice said:
Dude, I like the pickguard.  In general, I'm not a fan of the straight wood look, but with the black pickguard and hardware, I actually dig it.  I like it just the way it is.

Thanks!  Stick around here for a while, and I guarantee you your thoughts on the straight wood look will change.  After seeing all the incredible builds on here that capitalized on the natural look of the wood, most all of the builds I have going use the character of the wood rather than paint and graphics.

So, it is settled regarding the pickguard...it stays.

The only problem I have with blackening the f-hole is that I think it will become too prominent, then.  I'd rather it be subtle (not like in the flash pictures, however).

Personally I don't think tortoiseshell on Tobaccoburst Black Korina is too busy at all, but hey, maybe I just have a predjudice on the matter.......

DSC00503.jpg

anyway, Doc, the strat looks awesome.

Thanks, Guitlouie!

The completed specimen has been posted in the Gallery for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3859.0

:cool01:

louie has a good point there as that looks pretty damn good. I guess I'm having trouble picturing it. Oh and the tele body looks a lot lighter so maybe the contrast helps. I don't know. Maybe it will look great and I'm totally wrong. It won't be the first or last time.

I likey Doc, I think the black pickguard looks great. I wasn't really sure it would or not.......very nice. :icon_thumright:

guitlouie said:
Personally I don't think tortoiseshell on Tobaccoburst Black Korina is too busy at all, but hey, maybe I just have a predjudice on the matter.......

DSC00503.jpg

anyway, Doc, the strat looks awesome.

Personally, I don't think there should be any pickguard on Tobaccoburst Blank Korine  :icon_biggrin:

stratmay13th031.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
What's next on the list ???... :icon_scratch:

Thanks, Doug.
Depends upon what the big W sends me next.  My guess is it'll either be the tele or my copy (version?) of a San Dimas Charvel.

And to Marko...thanks, also!

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:

Thanks, Doug.
Depends upon what the big W sends me next.  My guess is it'll either be the tele or my copy (version?) of a San Dimas Charvel.

What's the tele going to be? The San Dimas is a spalt isn't it..... :icon_scratch:

DangerousR6 said:
DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:

Thanks, Doug.

What's the tele going to be? The San Dimas is a spalt isn't it..... :icon_scratch:

Tele is either quilt or flame (don't remember) maple top red to yellow burst.  Soloist is spalt.  San Dimas is Alpine White hardtail with EMGs.

Back