Straight off the Brown Truck!

Bass-Adrenaline

Well ive been waiting 2 months for this and it finally arrived!  :toothy12:

Guess the woods and win an E-Cookie! lol  :icon_thumright:

Ill also get better pics when it stops raining. The body isnt as bright as it looks in the pics.  :dontknow:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVWdZuoJuvE[/youtube]

DSC01908.jpg

DSC01910.jpg

Thanks guys and/or gals!

The neck is next on my list. Im pretty sure i have it all narrowed down. All i have to do is see if the wood i want will fit a gecko 5 neck. I wish warmoth could offer more neck woods for geckos but the tilted headstock wont allow it.

Bass-Adrenaline said:
Thanks guys and/or gals!

The neck is next on my list. Im pretty sure i have it all narrowed down. All i have to do is see if the wood i want will fit a gecko 5 neck. I wish warmoth could offer more neck woods for geckos but the tilted headstock wont allow it.

What is your idea? Think Wenge or Rosewood would be the best... Perhaps Gonçalo Alvez... Officially they only make it Maple or Wenge, not sure if they would make another by request...

Wenge and Maple are the only options. Im sure there are other woods they could do but that doesnt mean they will.

Ill be going with a Wenge neck and havnt decided on a fingerboard wood yet but i have a few ideas floating around in my head.

Wow, that's beautiful.  Gecko 5 medium?  What pickups are you planning to use?

Bass-Adrenaline said:
Thanks guys and/or gals!

Which wood do you want for a Gecko neck?  Over the past few years they have made Gecko necks from quite a variety of woods.  (I should know, since I bought a number of them from the Showcase.)  Some woods may be available on a limited basis, but it really depends on what raw stock they have on hand, which neck blanks are made up already, how busy they are, etc.

DangerousR6 said:
Where's the neck? I'd have a call to the brown truck guy.... :dontknow:

If only he would care. When i got my GK cab he asked if it was an amp and when i told him what it was his response was "Whatever you say boss".......

tubby.twins said:
Wow, that's beautiful.  Gecko 5 medium?  What pickups are you planning to use?

Which wood do you want for a Gecko neck?  Over the past few years they have made Gecko necks from quite a variety of woods.  (I should know, since I bought a number of them from the Showcase.)  Some woods may be available on a limited basis, but it really depends on what raw stock they have on hand, which neck blanks are made up already, how busy they are, etc.

I actually had some SGD pickups made for it and they should be here anytime now. It is a gecko 5 medium.

Well the woods i asked about i couldnt use simply because of strength at the joint from the neck/head area. I would like an ebony neck with a bloodwood fingerboard or the exact opposite. I didnt ask about either of those woods as necks so idk if they would work. If need be ill stick with wenge though.

Bass-Adrenaline said:
I actually had some SGD pickups made for it and they should be here anytime now. It is a gecko 5 medium.

Well the woods i asked about i couldnt use simply because of strength at the joint from the neck/head area. I would like an ebony neck with a bloodwood fingerboard or the exact opposite. I didnt ask about either of those woods as necks so idk if they would work. If need be ill stick with wenge though.

Good choice of pickups.

Unfortunately, neither Ebony nor Bloodwood are available for Gecko necks, or in fact any of the Warmoth necks which have an angled headstock.  Warmoth told me that those particular woods (among others) would not work with the scarf joint.  Apparently most of the really smooth, dense, small-pored woods don't glue well that way.

You'd be more likely to get one in Rosewood, Canary or maybe Bubinga (in that order).

Beautiful! Great choice of woods and finish! I'll be sure to dedicate at least one beer to celebrate for you!

I love the video, I'm not sure i coulda restrained myself from holding the camera in my mouth somehow, and rippen her open with both hands like x-mas present

Beautifull Looking Body

If they started with a taller billet, could Warmoth make a 1-piece neck with a tilt-back headstock?

It would cost a bit more, but the neck wouldn't need a scarf joint, and could be any species.

Biggus Pickus said:
If they started with a taller billet, could Warmoth make a 1-piece neck with a tilt-back headstock?

It would cost a bit more, but the neck wouldn't need a scarf joint, and could be any species.

In theory, yes.  However, in practice, some wood species aren't strong enough to be Gecko necks, due to the increased length and string tension.  Other woods are hard to find in the correct dimensions to make a Gecko neck blank.

Also, I've heard (from several sources) that scarf joints are stronger overall than cutting an angled headstock from a single piece of wood, or even a laminate sandwich of several woods.  I know other luthiers such as Carvin do this regularly.

Warmoth uses very dense and stiff woods such as Purpleheart and Bubinga in their laminated Gecko necks for a good reason.  The only 1-piece Gecko neck (with a scarf joint) that I've ever seen that DIDN'T have any laminates was made out of solid Bubinga.  It was in the Showcase for only a few weeks, and I can only assume it has found a happy home since then.  :)

Back