STOP WHATEVER YOU WERE DOING!!!!!

fdesalvo said:
It never ceases to amaze that he still walks among us.

I second that! I watched him walk on stage at the Garden in'72 for Jagger's birthday concert, drinking a bottle of jack like it was iced tea. He drank and chain smoked the entire time. I thought he looked half dead then. But as the show went on, he never looked drunk, never missed a beat. When they played Sympathy For the Devil the whole place shook and you could feel the floor bounce under your feet.

Couple/few things...

You can build up a tolerance to a lotta things, alcohol being one of them. Not that it doesn't affect you - it always does - but you learn to work around it. Many recreational drugs are that way as well.

Speaking of working around it, Keef has a tendency to play open tunings that allow him to do very little work. Makes life easy under pressure.

Money buys a lotta privilege, like miracle-worker health care. Your typical heroin addict just dies eventually. But, there are ways around that if you can afford it,

Well, I'm convinced there gonna cremate him and put his ashes on some Schedule III list.

Cagey said:
Speaking of working around it, Keef has a tendency to play open tunings that allow him to do very little work. Makes life easy under pressure.

I saw the Stones this past July. Great show, but Keef couldn't have hit the strings more than 75 times all evening. So, yeah, with the open tunings and that unique, staccato (let's call it "airy") style, he definitely keeps things pretty easy for himself.

Mick, however, is a beast. My grandpa didn't move like that at 72. Hell, I don't move like that at 30.

Cagey said:
Couple/few things...

You can build up a tolerance to a lotta things, alcohol being one of them. Not that it doesn't affect you - it always does - but you learn to work around it. Many recreational drugs are that way as well.

Money buys a lotta privilege, like miracle-worker health care. Your typical heroin addict just dies eventually. But, there are ways around that if you can afford it,

True.  More on this.  There is no theoretical dosage ceiling on opiate drugs, heroin included.  The biggest danger of heroin is not actually the heroin itself, it's overdose, contaminated needles (hep C, hiv, etc), adulterants in the dope--AKA "the cut" or the idiots putting fentanyl in heroin (killed my favorite actor Philip Seymour Hoffman), inconsistency in potency, the criminal lifestyle it takes to keep up a habit, getting killed and/or robbed for your stash.  And actually opiate withdrawal is almost never life-threatening as long as there are no comorbid medical issues such as liver failure, etc---you'll THINK you're dying, you'd rather be dead, but you won't die, you'll just surf about 2 weeks of pure misery.  Alcohol, benzodiazepine, and barbiturate withdrawal, however, can kill you.

So, technically, if you get super-pure, uncut, consistent heroin, and use clean/new needles, and be judicious in your administration (hard to do), you really can function rather normally.  The problem that comes in is tolerance.  Ala Guns-N-Roses song, Mr. Brownstone..."I used to do a little but the little wouldn't do it so the little got more and more, I just keep tryin' to get a little better, a little better than before...we've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...he's been knockin', he won't leave me alone..."  Ya'll know the deal.  I been free from that dance for 8 years.

Back