Unique Choice is back!

What's the difference between "universal" and "standard"? I see that for the UC for bodies and fretboards.

What's the difference between "universal" and "standard"? I see that for the UC for bodies and fretboards.
If you click on a unique choice you'll see the difference between the two options.

Example:
To have this Unique Choice lam top used in the construction of your custom body, simply add it to your cart. Then choose ‘Unique Choice’ as the lam top wood when configuring your custom body.
This Lam Top is Standard size, and fits the following bodies only:
  • Stratocaster® Replacement Bodies
  • Hybrid Strat®
  • Telecaster® Replacement Bodies
  • Hybrid Tele®
  • Tele® Custom
  • Tele® Deluxe
  • La Cabronita
  • Carved Top Tele®
  • 7/8 S Style
  • 7/8 T Style
  • Soloist
  • Carved Top Soloist
  • Regal
  • Jagstang
  • Musiclander
  • Mustang
  • Velocity
  • Carved Top Velocity
  • VIP
  • WGD
All other bodies require a Universal size lam top.*

So, just ran into this from the website:
When ordering the body in the custom builders, remember that Dye, Burst, and Transparent Finishes are only available on Maple UC tops. All other woods require a Clear finish.
Can I still specify transparent finish in the online order somewhere, even if the builder doesn't allow me to for a UC top? Or do I just need to contact sales and order both body and UC top manually?

When ordering the body in the custom builders, remember that Dye, Burst, and Transparent Finishes are only available on Maple UC tops. All other woods require a Clear finish.
Ref: https://warmoth.com/unique-choice-guitar-lam

What you are referencing from the website is from this link. https://warmoth.com/unique-choice-guitar-lam

The statement on that page applies only when ordering Unique choice tops.
However, you can, of course, order Dye, Burst and Transparent finishes on suitable tops that are not a unique choice in the builder.
Can I still specify transparent finish in the online order somewhere, even if the builder doesn't allow me to for a UC top? Or do I just need to contact sales and order both body and UC top manually?

You could add the body and top into your cart, but the builder does not know which top you have chosen and whether it can be done in transparent. So, you could order the body and top with no finish and add to the notes during the checkout steps the finish details you want and that you authorise the up charge. Another way to do it would be to contact sales with the choices you have configured and selected and do the order process manually. This is like how asking for things like matching finish headstocks and so on have always been done.

Last edited:

@stratamania has it right.

When you choose UC Lam Top in the custom builder the template will give you the same finish options as if you had chosen Flame Maple. This would include Transparent colors.

As far as the instructions you quoted from the info page, we may expand on that in the future, but for now we are keeping it simple. Warmoth has incredibly complex products. Writing instructions for just about anything on our website is a delicate balancing act between making things easily understandable and covering all possible options and combinations.

As we wade slowly into these new waters we are opting for now to make the UC instructions as simple as they can be, aka "colored finishes are for Maple only, everything else must be Clear". For more experienced users (pretty much everyone on this forum) you can feel free to choose a Transparent or Burst finish over, say, a Black Korina lam top. But again.....be careful. Tobacco Burst over Black Korina looks nice, but Blue Burst or Transparent Green finish over Black Korina probably looks like crap.

You can see the issues we are trying to avoid.

When in doubt, add instruction or requests in the Notes section at checkout.

Folks have to also take into consideration, with the many choices Warmoth offers, there are some limits to some of these options with regard to compatibility of one component to another. This presents a challenge when utilizing a “Conditional Logic” entry system, and it can take some time to iron out all of those details into their proper place for a completely error free option implementation. With this in mind, there is no other “parts” website out there to assemble a complete parts list for a build that is anywhere near where Warmoth is in this game. Most May have some similar features, but definitely without the extensive options that Warmoth offers. The more options, the greater the challenge to make it comprehensive and completely compatible across all combinations. USACG May have had “some” options, but nowhere this many. Many manufacturers keep their options listings to a minimum for this very reason. Warmoth has always been, and continues to be light years ahead on this proportionately.

Back