Stoked about first gig!

Justinginn

So basically my band played our first gig today. It was a whole lot of fun and pretty cool as we're all under the age of 16. Half the band is still in middle school and our bassist is shorter than his bass. I'll try to post a video if I can. Just needed to rave about how amazing my Middle Schoolers were. Our 6th grader guitar player (crazy shredder who lives for 70's rock) decided at the last minute to sing on a couple songs and turned out to be a pretty good frontman. I'm stoked.  :headbang1:

Congrats!

I just took a strole down memory lane and watched my fist gig a couple weeks ago, while coverting the VHS tape to dvd. ( I was much skinner then and had hair!)

Bill

Sounds cool, man.  My first ever "gig" was in school, also, only it was an utter disaster.  I was still trying to tune up when the other guitar player said "Ready?".  Only he did not wait for an answer, and started into Cinnamon Girl.  The rest of the band started playing along, but there I was with an out of tune guitar, and a horrible temper, so I turned my amp up all the way, and jammed my guitar right up against the speakers and just let it howl!  I walked away and went to go talk to some girls.  I was like, "Do you like this band?  I'm in it."

I'm glad yours went better!

Congrats.  That is one of the best feelings you'll ever have.  The worst is when you break a string on stage in the middle of a solo.    :laughing7:

DocNrock said:
Congrats.  That is one of the best feelings you'll ever have.  The worst is when you break a string on stage in the middle of a solo.    :laughing7:

Especially with a floyd!  I was really lucky and never broke a strin on my kramer during a gig, I waited until I was in the studio doing some demo tracks to do it...

riverbluff said:
DocNrock said:

Especially with a floyd!  I was really lucky and never broke a strin on my kramer during a gig, I waited until I was in the studio doing some demo tracks to do it...

Yup, been there, done that, got the t-shirt, on stage with a Floyd, that is.  I just turned around, hit the standby switch on the amp, swapped a guitar, turned off the standby, and jumped back into the solo where I should have been.  I think I was off by a bar or two, but my band had my back, and we came back in together.

Yeah thanks guys. We were about to start a song while our only floyd-equpped guitar player was tuning up but it morphed into a bass/drum solo that sounded cool even though it was completely made up on the spot. That's how we roll.  :headbang:

Nice. My guitar has had wiring issues for forever and I got it out of the shop two days before the gig. Then I blew a fuse and I got stuck with a 6 Amp fuse in my amp that was designed for a 1 amp fuse. There were a couple times during soundcheck that it started making weird sounds and I had to turn it off.  :laughing11:

Putting a 6A fuse in that amp won't have caused the strange sounds, but what caused your fuse to blow in the first place may have. Actually I'd say that if you really want to replace a fuse with one that's above the correct rating, you should do it with a fuse that's still intact. Once a fuse has blown, it means that whatever it was in has experienced a situation where it was either blow the fuse or fry altogether. If you then replace the fuse with a heavier one (or a fast blow with a slow one) it could very well be 'fry' the next time. And while on the subject of frying, YOU could be toast as well. Seems like a pity to be electrocuted in the middle of the ecstacy of your first gig.

I know. I told the rest of the band that my amp could blow and they just started singing Thunderstruck. I think the issue the first time was with us being overseas and using stuff running on American voltage. The last time I played out (church) someone used an adapter instead of a transformer and we didn't realize what was at the end of the power strip until my amp blew its fuse. There's not much by way of electronics stores where I live so it's been hard to find the right replacement.

riverbluff said:
Congrats!

I just took a strole down memory lane and watched my fist gig a couple weeks ago, while coverting the VHS tape to dvd. ( I was much skinner then and had hair!)

Bill

I recently got a video of one of my last gigs... and I was much skinnier then  :sad:

Back