Stock guitars. If you had to.

I've modded the F out of my PRS SE semi hollow and it's my number one. Put a lot of cash into it - upgraded pickups (SD Jazz N/Pearly Gates B) upgraded bridge, tuners, nut, added push pull coil tap and phase switch and a tap killswitch. I LOVE that guitar, and it's korean made. It was a quality instrument at a good price when I bought it. Now I sincerely doubt there are many situations I could get in that would make me sell it.

I love my Warmoth, but I'd buy just about any production PRS without worrying about quality.

The only stock guitars I'm impressed with any more are Agiles, and they're not perfect. They need locking tuners.

Every guitar I own preferably...

locking tuners
low friction string tees (preferably none at all)
1 11/16 or larger low friction compensated nut
stainless steel frets
a flat enough radius not to fret out with low-medium string action (preferably compound radius)
A sufficiently thick neck (no wizards, standard thin is marginal)
A satin finish or no finish if unnecessary
Strap locks
A fully intonating bridge (preferably with individual saddle height adjustment)
Either awesome humbuckers with decent single coil sounds through the use of coils taps, or awesome single coils with decent humbucker sounds with series/parallel option, or some other versatile setup like firebird pickups (hums with single coil qualities), P-90s (single coils with hum qualites), P-rails (jack of all trades), or combinations of singles and buckers like an H-S-H or similar.

In short, I think every guitar should be in tune and intonated, and STAY that way once new strings settle, regardless of whether it's got a tremolo or a hardtail. It should be easy to play without slowing you down and cramping your hands and fingers. It should have its sonic strong points but be able to cover other sonic territories in a pinch so that I don't have to take multiple guitars to a gig.

I can't do all of these things with with every off the shelf guitar, but there are off the shelf guitars that I like that don't have all of these things, so I do what I can. It sure helps to have a fender scale neck pocket and a pickguard.

I cannot think of a single guitar that would not need major modifications to suit my desires.

I'll never buy a factory production guitar again UNLESS it's such a great deal that I cannot pass it up.

If I bought a new Gibson Les Paul, I'd leave it stock, but I ain't gonna spend that kind of money for one.

The longer I play the more I like thin necks. The wizard and standard thin are great, but anything over that thickness and I have a hard time wapping my fingertips to the 6th string.

Pickups would be my second change. Most of the stock pickups I hear are flat and not very responsive. I always swap them for something hotter.

MikeW said:
Pickups would be my second change. Most of the stock pickups I hear are flat and not very responsive. I always swap them for something hotter.

I hear you on always changing stock pickups for hotter pickups. The only time a pickup is too hot for me is when it's literally on fire.
:headbang1:

Thanks again for the replies everyone. One item I forgot to mention is strap locks. After putting strap locks on all my Warmoths & modified stock guitars I get so turned off at the idea of using a strap lock-less guitar. The first time the strap unbuttons I'd rather just stop playing. Is anyone with me on that small detail or am I just being picky?

I'm with you on the straplocks. I even keep spares around, just in case. I won't have a guitar/strap without locks on them.

"Straplocks are like condoms, you may be able to get by without using them, but sooner or later something bad IS going to happen"

My first W died a horrible death because I didn't have straplocks on. The button pulled the screw right out of the wood on the front horn and the sucker dropped right on the headstock. The neck was never the same after that...

Lesson Learned!

MikeW said:
My first W died a horrible death because I didn't have straplocks on. The button pulled the screw right out of the wood on the front horn and the sucker dropped right on the headstock. The neck was never the same after that...

Lesson Learned!

MikeW, I think you've just convinced everyone that comes across this discussion to run out and get strap locks. I'm so sorry for your first W.  :(

When I ordered my 1st W J-Bass, I was inistent on the string thru bridge, matte finish, and reverse headstock.  Those were deal breakers for me.  The 21st fret, battery box, and chmabering were nice little additonal options.  I wanted a blocked and bound neck, but those were showcase only bass options at the time.  Good like finding a reverese headstock with blocks and biniding for a J-Bass in the showcase.  Well, now Fender is making something I could live with.  A blocked and bound J-Bass with string thru bridge, active pickups, 21st fret, and side jack.

MikeW said:

Lesson Learned!

Would straplocks have helped in this instance?  If the entire screw pulled out, sound like the hole was drilled too large for the retention screw.  :icon_scratch:

Would be a Jackson or a Charvel, my first 2 guitars and I just love how they play, great neck profile and big frets!

I've had the same basic soft leather strap for 7-8 years now and I can count the number of times it has come off on the fingers on one hand - on stage it has never happened. What do you guys do to your poor guitars?! :)

kböman said:
I've had the same basic soft leather strap for 7-8 years now and I can count the number of times it has come off on the fingers on one hand - on stage it has never happened. What do you guys do to your poor guitars?! :)

+1. I've never had a problem with a normal strap. Y'all must be using your guitars as hula hoops.

I've never had a problem with house fires, either, but I still buy insurance against it. I've seen what fire can do.

Nightclub Dwight said:
MikeW said:

Lesson Learned!

Would straplocks have helped in this instance?  If the entire screw pulled out, sound like the hole was drilled too large for the retention screw.   :icon_scratch:

I beat that poor guitar to death really. It was the early 80s and I was playing in a punk/hard rock band and I modded the hell out of it and it just kept coming back for more. Not sure that straplocks would have stopped it, but they would have helped.

The real problem was that I was young and dumb and not paying enough attention to what I had or to maintaining it properly. I really regretted breaking that guitar afterward too. I went though two Kramers and a cheap LP Studio before I got a Charvel that was equal in quality.  Needless to say, I've also been WAY more careful with my guitars since then. 

if I were to buy a PRS, I'd get only the private stock, and ask for a rosewood neck, ofcourse, with a bigger neck, bigger frets, and other pickups.

if it were to be a guitar really just off the rack, I wouldn't buy it at all :)

Back