Stock guitars. If you had to.

jalbertochavez

After having built a couple complete Warmoth guitars I can't look at stock guitars the same anymore. Long before I ever even knew I could build my own custom I would be excited to walk into a music store, look up at the nice, expensive guitars and think, "Wow". After having built my own guitars I now walk into music stores and see the expensive guitars on the shelf and think, "It's frets are too small" or "If I got this guitar I'd have to change the pickups to get it to sound closer to what I want" or "Pssh, I could build 3 custom Warmoths for the price of this single guitar."  However, sometimes I'll see a stock guitar that's only a few modifications away from being what I would want. So, my question for y'all is, if you had to buy a stock guitar what changes would you know you'd have to make for it to be something closer to what you would want?

Im pretty particular on neck back shape, fret size, and nut width! so those are three things you cant really change easily. (thank god for Warmoth)

A good set of locking tuners are always a 1st upgrade I do on less pricey guitars. I feel like this is an upgrade that really pays off!

I'm pretty sure a White Falcon only would need my preference setup to be good to go.

But I know what OP means. 99.9% of stock guitars give me that close-but-no-cigar feeling. I have become such a guitar snob.  :icon_biggrin:

Pickups for me! I'm pretty particular about necks too, but if it's close then I'm usually ok with it.

PRS and Suhr are my brands of choice. Based on my experience with both, it would be highly unlikely that I would need to change anything to make them better. Suhr's pickups are awesome... I'm planning to use an Aldrich set in my zebra build.

Suhr & Tom Anderson would be the only guitar's I'd consider...although Carvin Les Pauls are pretty cool.

It's nice to read the Carvin love. I have a lovely flame-koa topped AE185. It sounds and plays like a dream. It should be the only guitar I could ever want...but it's not.

I'd just want bigger frets. And i'd have to widen the nut slots cause i play with heavy strings. Then it's just a matter of seeing if the neck warps or not over time.

I have yet to own a Warmoth, but it's edging closer as I save up for it. The only real alternatives for me are Hagström guitars (amazing necks) and Greco/Burny/etc Les Pauls.

Thanks for the replies. As for myself the first changes I know I'd have to make on a stock guitar would be the neck because I dislike small frets and round neck radius'. I'd also change the pickups because while some stock pickups are great I usually have my own idea for a set that would sound better. And I'd have the tone controls removed since I never use them. Please continue. What else would you change on a stock guitar if you had to buy one?

The only stock guitars I'd want, are ESP, and they're ready to go, except that I'll have to change the Seymour Duncans to EMGs on those models I like (like the blue hardtail Horizon).

Things I don't like on stock guitars:
Thin necks
Small frets
Radius under 9 and over 13
Locking tremolos
Black vintage style tremolos
Strat guitar input placement
Strat volume knob placement
Single coil pickup rings

Hard to find a guitar without any of these...

Pickups, definitely. I've been making excuses for not installing my new neck pickup and I'm on a constant lookout for a good alternative to my bridge pickup. I have yet to decide on what I really want though... Another addition would be some kind of vibrato bridge, Schaller makes one I have my eyes on.

Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
The only stock guitars I'd want, are ESP, and they're ready to go, except that I'll have to change the Seymour Duncans to EMGs on those models I like (like the blue hardtail Horizon).

I agree with Big V. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with picking up an ESP or, for my money, a Jackson/Charvel off the wall (assuming
they're not 'entry' models of course).

Jackson's usually have EMGs stock, and I could just as easily change or keep what an ESP comes with.

ORC

Don't forget the strings!

I always use "pure nickel" (nickel-wrap) strings because I hate the thin, grating trebly tone of steel-wrapped.

pickups, I have changed out the pups in most Fenders I ever owned, but the PRS Ikeep stock, I like the old P90s of gibsons, gretch has nice pickups

but over all pickups

I never had the money to go the "bootique" route, that is why I got into Warmoth! (sure, I could have purchased one good PRS or Suhr or Anderson instead of 7 or 8 Warmoths)

If I had to go stock, I would go for used any time, preferably japanese, since I feel that those are the most value for money when it comes to 'vintage' guitars.

anyway, the only other interests (fetishes) I have besides Warmoth and Fender, are heartfields (which is also fender) of which I currently own 6, and Westones (Matsumoku), of which I own 5 at the moment. Both are no longer made, so I am really stuck with looking for used ones on Craiglist, Pawnshops, etc.. 

Back