Stew Mac Nitro wood prep

thumb55

With my final sanding is finally done, according to the Stew Mac book (to avoid fisheyes and cloudy finish) I should wipe the guitar body down with (in this order)

1) Naptha
2) Mineral Spirits
3) A solution of warm water and ammonia

I understand the naptha and mineral spirits, but wont the water/ammonia raise the grain again?

I'd like to just skip the water and ammonia, any risks?

This will be getting a blue stain and a nitro clear finish.

That sounds like a good question for StewMac, or just check this link & see if there is any info you may find helpful; http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Finishing.html

Never read that book; which final sanding are you talking about? Generally if doing a dye finish, it's grain fill and dye (or vice versa) then your sealer coat. Sanding sealer generally flows a little rough and after finishing those coats you need to sand the sealer coat back smooth to #320/400 before starting to shoot your nitro top coats. I just blow it off with a compressor and use a clean rag with some mineral spirits or lacquer thinner to do a final wipe down to ensure any residue from sanding the sealer coat is gone, what are the other steps up to Naptha/Mineral Spirits/Dilute ammonia? Using both the mineral spirits and naptha seems redundant and I don't get the need for ammonia solution at all?

it seemed redundant to me too. 

It's an alder body (3 piece) with a quilt lam top. (not spectacular, but nice for my first try with nitro)  Just after recieveing it I dribbled it across the kitchen floor (nice right?) I lifted the dents and repaired the crack (really small, top lip of neck pocket)  There was a discolored part of the alder in the tummy cut so I sanded that out.  The final sanding I was talking about was after raising the grain with some alcohol I sanded back to 320. 

I was going to use the naptha and mineral spirits and skip the ammonia/water.  I just wanted to bounce the Idea off someone first.

next step will be the dye then sanding sealer before the nitro.

Back