Static pops from pickguard and control route cover screews

David

Hello friends.  Hey on 2 of my guitars I have this issue with static electricity.  On one if I if brush the pickguard screw near the tone pot quickly with my finger I hear a pop noise through the amp.  On another it is a screw on the control route cover if it rubs against my clothes a certain way.

Normally I would think it was grounding, but it seems odd in this case since those screws are not connected to anything electrical.  Neither of thse guitars have shielding in the cavities, which I suspect is the solution here, but I wanted to see what the experts (you guys) thought.

Thanks,
David

David, I can't help you because I don't know the answer, but I can vouch for this being a real problem.  If I hadn't seen it myself I'd dismiss it as impossible but I had a cheap electric that suffered from this.  I touched pickguard switches that were not electrically attached to anything else and the pickups clicked.

The only shielding is the little piece around the pots and switch that come on the Warmoth pickguards.  I have some conductive paint from StewMac that I use occasionally.  Perhaps it is no coincidence that both of these guitars don't have that paint in the control cavities.  It just seems odd since there screws aren't connected to anything but the wood.  It makes me wonder if the shielding would help.

Back