Stainless steel frets

m165

Just curious did anyone on here ever use Stainleess steel frets on a build and not like them as compared to regular nickel/silver.

No comment, but I'm fairly sure that your question could have been answered by doing a search.

Well, I like 'em both. There just different.

What do you want to know about them?

The warmoth website gives a pretty good description of the differences as well as Dan Earlwine's book about Guitar Repair.  I recommend you buy the book, and look at the wamoth website. 

I love my Stainless steel frets.
the only bad thing I can say about them that sometimes (not all the time!) the ends are not as smooth out of the box compared to nickel.
so keep in mind that there is a small chance that you may have to smooth them down a little.

line6man said:
Max, doesn't Ed Roman hate SS frets?  :blob7:

Ed Roman hates his own mother!

I love stainless. Any time I have a choice thats what I go for. They last longer and they allow me to use
steel strings if I choose.
Alot of frets these days use a softer metal compound than the strings, therefore the strings wear out the
frets faster. Depending on touch, playing style etc.

Line6man I did do a search but still wanted to ask the question, isnt that why most of us are on here?.To give and receive useful info

Any way my reason for asking is that I am looking at buyin a new guitar possibly a Gibson ES 335, tried a couple, but something just does not feel right about the frets, having used Stainless steel frets now on my warmoth guitars, I dont know if I could get used to the nickel / silver  type again, and did anyone else have a similar experience.

SS is a godsend for bending and lead work.  With a good polish job nickel/silver frets are pretty smooth.  They just don't stay that way for long.

Stainless frets are very nice.  They definitely feel smoother and they don't wear down.

If given a choice, I'd always choose stainless.. they're so smooth its not funny. 

Marko said:
I love my Stainless steel frets.
the only bad thing I can say about them that sometimes (not all the time!) the ends are not as smooth out of the box compared to nickel.
so keep in mind that there is a small chance that you may have to smooth them down a little.

Yea, I had this experience as well. 
I love the SS frets, but one of my necks had the sharp ends. 
I had my local luthier doing the set-up.  He filed down the ends at no charge. 
Gotta go with the stainless...  :headbang1:

I like my SS frets.  I can't really say that I've noticed any more high frequencies or a "tinnier" tone.  They're just nice and smooth.  The ends are a little sharper than my other Warmoth necks with the nickel frets which were great right out of the box, but not unbearably so.  They just need filed down a little.

If I have a choice, I would never buy nickel silver frets again. SS is a design improvement that wasn't available during the "Golden Years", so they didn't know any better. Horseshoe & buggy manufacturers all thought automobiles sucked, and I'm sure they had a pile of "reasons" why... and the smart buggy manufacturers switched to making automobile coaches.

If there's a tonal difference, I can't tell, maybe I have to set the amp's treble knob on 3 instead of 4.... I adjust the knobs to sound good anyway, so it's not like a big imposition. I wonder how many people have constructed identical necks with different fret material, played them in a blindfold test with the result recorded on an oscilloscope, and analyzed the frequency differences? Sure, everybody.... I recently bought a little DMT diamond knife sharpener for rounding SS frets, as soon as I get some more I'll let you know how it works. Most of the complainers seem to be people who don't want to work any harder to install or dress them, hmmm, buggies were easier too. But automobiles suck anyway, we have reasons.... :laughing11:

So your question is: Do I dislike going back to play guitars that don't have SS frets?
the answer is no.  However, given a choice I prefer SS, because it has slicker feel and they last longer.

It's funny. Eddie Van Halens latest signature guitar (what a joke) comes with SS frets.
Eddie raves about them like hes the first person to have discovered them.

See what too much booze and nose candy does to you!

i replaced a warmoth neck with nickel/steel frets to SS frets on the same loaded body. i noticed no difference in tone. i play with high gain most of the time so i'm not a clean tone purist like some that didn't like the SS frets. i noticed no difference, and from now on i go SS all the way, just like them better and they don't wear.

Back