Stainless fretwire question

dudesweet157 said:
\  The absolute ONLY thing I did to them was round over the fret ends when I rolled the fretboard edges. 

How does one go about rolling over the fret board edges?

I just bought one of these little beasties on my last LMI order, looks like it will be useful:
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Rasps%2FFiles&NameProdHeader=Pippin+File
Most of my favorite nut and fret files aren't even specialty guitar products, just stuff I've accumulated over the years. Of course you can wrap sandpaper over any narrow file or a little stainless ruler:
narrow file + sandpaper = wider file. Friggin' Einstein, I is! :sign13:

How does one go about rolling over the fret board edges?

I posted my response in the tips and tricks area, as this is an unrelated topic and deserves its own attention....

Does anyone know how much different the 6115 feels from the 6105 stainless? Do they feel noticeably taller and easier to bend strings with than the 6105? Im used to 6100 frets

On regular NS frets... I can easily tell the difference between the 6105 and the 6230.  To me its night and day.  I can play ok on either, but the 6105 feels a bit better and is easier to bend on.

The 6230 lets my finger touch wood (if I get heavy handed) when I play - while the 6105 does not unless I REALLY press.  Beginners may have a problem with tall frets if their touch on things is rather heavy - pulling the string out of tune by over-depressing at the fret.

Having said that - the 6115 seems just overboard tall to me.  Dont like it at all... your mileage may vary.

The Stainless Steel frets... are like buttah to bend on.  You CAN nick them with strings if you whack a string onto a fret, but you can do the same with NS frets.  If you do, it polishes out easy, same as NS frets.  Other than that - they seem indestructible.

I had a ss frets on ebony fingerboard, it sounds stiff, but I don't know if it's the ebony or the frets....  :icon_scratch:

I have 6105's on my TFS6, and with it being a 24.75 scale, the narrower fret width makes it much easier to play in the upper registers.

With my left hand vibrato being too strong sometimes, I am leaning towards stainless steel for when I finally start replacing frets.

Back