stainless frets (pics added)

<I'd quit jacking around and just send the neck to Warmoth for eval/repair as Gregg offered, they'll know exactly what the deal is and let you know.>

Well, I would just send it right back, but what could they do?

Gregg said: "No. You can send it back for us to look at if you'd like. If it is confirmed as Stainless, I would doubt if we could tell you what is causing the wear." And... "No metalurgy technology going on at Warmoth,"

That being said, I guess I will give it a shot and send it back this week for evaluation. Hopefully, even if it is determined to be stainless, they would, without charge, replace the frets in question due to the VERY MINIMAL playing time this neck has had on it. IF they are determined to be stainless, there would HAVE to be a metallurgical problem going on. Once again, this neck with ONLY fifty or so hours on it with significant fret wear for the amount of playing time. My other axe with over 600 hours playing time with ZERO fret wear. Both necks marked SS 6105  Warmoth certainly has records indicating how long I've had this neck, so there should be no second thoughts about how much playing is on it.

Sorry you think I am "jacking around", Jack.  :)  Thought that's what the forum was for.  Many folks opinions are certainly better than my own, and there have been numerous interesting replies to this thread.
Bill in SC

Hi Bill,

What Warmoth would be checking for is that they are our SS6105 by size and appearance. If Warmoth put in the wrong frets then the MFG warranty and options apply. Entirely refretting a used neck would be an unlikely option since we veer away from that type of service work.

If you're going to be calling me at Warmoth, we'll yak more then.

I think you should test the fret with a regular fretfile, or any other file. A normal file should cut nickel fret just fine without damaging the file but stainless fret will cut but very slowly and are more likely to smooth out the file rendering it useless. So if a file cuts your fret easily it's not stainless, and if it is there's a problem with it.

My point was, regardless of whether the frets are SS or not, something definitely appears wrong from the pics, on the provisio that there is very little playing time on the neck and that you don't have mechanical vise-like hands, or any other form of blow was sustained on the frets.

Your choices were to ship the neck back and they'd refret it if a mistake was made and the frets weren't SS, take that shot, otherwise you're looking at doing some refretting or fret work on your own nickel.

I'd still check with any wives, girlfriends, kids, dogs or cats in the house as I've owned one guitar for 19 years playing it constantly amongst many others, and the only couple of occasions I've ever seen dents in frets like in your pic was the result of a sharp blow.

I'd still check with any wives, girlfriends, kids, dogs or cats in the house... the only couple of occasions I've ever seen dents in frets like in your pic was the result of a sharp blow.

Cats can be extremely deceitful when it comes to fessin' up, you know....

Back