Staining/Dying Alder body.... Orange?????

Locnar1975

I was really curious if anyone has attempted to stain or dye alder orange, and how it turned out. 

Hoping I can do a look similar to this pic, but I'm pretty sure that ash used. 

Let me know how it worked out for anyone that attempted it.

Attachments

• FrontBack.jpg
    FrontBack.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,481
You are correct - the photo you posted is ash with a curly maple top.  Alder does not take dye or stain well, but you can use orange pigment or Transtint dye to make an orange toner (tinted clearcoat) and spray that instead of dyeing the or staining the wood.  Alternatively, you could use a wood conditioner -- which is basically a very thin shellac or other finish - to diminish the likelihood of blotching.  But I'd go with a toner to stay on the safe side.

10704345_784561824937276_842323909249568924_o.jpg

This is not the best picture, but I died the alder back of one of my guitars with Cordovan Transtint.

People say that dye doesn't work on Alder, but the back of this guitar looks outstanding. I have been thinking of doing a total build of alder and doing a dye burst. I think it would look incredible.

I think dyed alder can look outstanding.

I'd suggest getting alder - the actual wood for the build if possible - and test your finish approach.

Oh, yes - always, ALWAYS test your finishing schedule on scrap of the same species as the actual production part before you go balls-to-the-wall with it.

Back