Staining a rosewood fretboard

Davidh

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to build a strat with a dark rosewood fingerboard, however Warmoth just told me they can't pick a particularly dark rosewood fretboard...
That pretty much sucks but I was thinking that I might stain the fingerboard myself when I get it.

Has anybody got any experience with staining, did you get good results? and what did you use?

Thank alot!

David.

Take a look at the unique pick fingerboard options and select the exact fingerboard you like.  You might find the Indian Rosewood to your liking.

I've done it and used Fiebing's oil leather dye. Worked great and still looks good. I believe this is the same that Stew-Mac sells.

you can get the Fiebings in a few colors too... from black to reddish brown, to walnut, to chocolate... lots of nice stuff .. AND you can mix it too for intermediate - ie, reddish brown plus black.

Yeah they suggested the unique pick fingerboards too, but those are mainly different grains and not colourings, unfortunately...

So SrDeMaFp you used a leather dye?! What made you do that?

StewMac sells it in black if you want to see it.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/1/Black_Fingerboard_Stain/Pictures.html#details

I can't say that I've used it, but if CB likes it....it works.

I've got some here in dark dark brown.  I dont know the color... the label is all stained over.  Its old, its from my leatherworking adventures...  and its one nasty bugger to get offa yer fingers.  I mean it damn near dyes to the bone.

If you google the new Tandy Leather Co, they sell it, will ship to you, may have a store local.

Davidh said:
So SrDeMaFp you used a leather dye?! What made you do that?

Mostly the fact that I'm a tinkerer by heart. The board was really light and I wanted to make the board look like ebony so, I gave it a shot. Worked like a charm. :icon_thumright:

Back