SSL-5 copy? Tap wire and push pull pot

monchavo

I have a build I'm revisiting after five or six years. It's got a beautiful vintange tint Warmoth neck (with what they call "bonus birdseye!".

The bridge pickup is supposed to be a tappable single coil. Based on the SSL-5 it has three wires - black, white and yellow. I've looked for suitable diagrams online to connect it to a tone control push-pull pot without success. Even the useful Fralin push-pull resource doesn't seem to quite have what I need. A fine trove however: https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/03/29/push-pull-pots-mods/

Two questions: Unfortunately the pickup winder chap I bought them from is MIA. Supposing the pickup is a direct copy of the Seymour Duncan unit, I could just measure it with my multimeter (ill do this in a moment) and that will give me readings indicating which the "hot" and "cooler" wire is - but I am not clear how I  would connect these successfully to achieve the tap. I would like down to be tapped and UP to be full throated (like a sort of "pull to boost" arrangement).

thanks !

:band:

So, Yellow is "tapped" black is ground and white is hot on the pickup itself.

The yellow wire running from the pickup is connected to LUG A
The white wire running from the pickup is connected to LUG C
The black wire running from the pickup is connected to the volume pot ground lug

The black wire on the push pull pot in the diagram below is wired to the top left lug on the 5 way switch.

Will this work?

As the middle lugs are common this means the wire attached to the middle lug will be "on" whether the push pull is up or down. My thinking is that in this approach, when the pot is DOWN the white and the black will be engaged, IE "full" and when the pot is up the black and the yellow will be engaged - hence "tapped". Am I doing anything wrong here? Do I need any jumpers?

Is the SSL-5 approach different in that in this case you're not actually sending a coil to earth, simply losing some windings?

Thanks

Attachments

• pushpull.png
    pushpull.png
    458.1 KB · Views: 137
Based on what you have said Yellow is "tapped" black is ground and white is hot.

Using A, B, or C of your diagram.

Yellow to A of the Switch, white to C,  run a wire from B of your push pull to your selector switch.

Run black to a ground point elsewhere. It must be grounded.

This should work assuming it is a tapped pick up where you lose some of the windings. If you find it taps in the down position of the push pull instead of up reverse the yellow and white wires.

stratamania said:
Based on what you have said Yellow is "tapped" black is ground and white is hot.

Using A, B, or C of your diagram.

Yellow to A of the Switch, white to C,  run a wire from B of your push pull to your selector switch.

Run black to a ground point elsewhere. It must be grounded.

This should work assuming it is a tapped pick up where you lose some of the windings. If you find it taps in the down position of the push pull instead of up reverse the yellow and white wires.

Yes, forgive me, I realise in my haste and excitement to post that I had reversed my original intention above (where UP is full and down is tapped). Thanks for your reply, I look forward to testing it out.

No apology needed... I hope the wiring works out. Let us know how you get on.

Bear in mind I am not familiar with the internals of that pickup so the guidance is a logical assumption.

Back