Spruce top Tele

nullref

Got home from work this evening and couldn't resist taking a quick couple pics of the Tele.  Eight weeks seems like an eternity at times...  Thankfully, I have a completely free weekend for assembly, setup, and "testing"...  :laughing7:

The body is Spruce on Padouk, double bound with white binding.  The neck is also Padouk with a Ebony fretboard and stainless steel frets.

Tele-Front_zpsubpbwtha.png

Tele-Back_zpsyyxyc1ib.png

That piece is gonna be a real  :glasses9: looker.
Very classic beauty and I will be will be watching her...
:rock-on:

I love the double binding! I wish they'd offer it with comfort contours. I know it's hard, but it's possible.

Nice! I love the acoustic vibe from the spruce over padouk. You're gonna love the padouk neck, especially if you "polish" it.

Good start!

Ah, I think I might add a spruce topped guitar to my list. Awesome looking tele dude.

I haven't heard much mention of spruce as a top wood around here, but it looks stunning and you might have started a trend. I mean on acoustics it's the nr1 choice for tone wood on tops isn't it?
Lovely.
Will be interesting hearing your opinions on it.

Thanks everyone.  Really looking forward to getting to it today...  I'll post some more pics of it later on.

anorakDan said:
Nice! I love the acoustic vibe from the spruce over padouk. You're gonna love the padouk neck, especially if you "polish" it.

Yeah, this build started with the idea of making an electric version of my Taylor 614.  I switched to Padouk after inquiring about custom ordering a Flame Maple body, which is a showcase only kinda thing apparently.  Really glad I switched though...

amigarobbo said:
Is it hollow or chambered?

It is a solid piece of wood (2 piece). I would add, it is not as heavy I expected it to be.  I'll try and find a place with a semi-accurate scale to weigh it.

That's a stellar combo, I have a Padouk neck with an ebony board on a strat and it's quite awesome to play - so smooth.

Always wanted a spruce top telecoustic - but I hate under saddle piezos. A bridge plate piezo (a la JJB or K&K) with no soundhole could be a winner though, prodied it had an actual acoustic body and not just a teleslab.

swarfrat said:
Always wanted a spruce top telecoustic - but I hate under saddle piezos. A bridge plate piezo (a la JJB or K&K) with no soundhole could be a winner though, prodied it had an actual acoustic body and not just a teleslab.
What's wrong with under saddle piezo's? I have a stratocoustic and an 80's Kramer ferrington, and both sound just great...I did change out the neck on the stratocoustic with a Warmoth neck and the plastic saddle to bone...

I understand the saddle(s) can make a lotta difference. Martin, for instance, likes to use Graphech saddle material on their electrified acoustic guitars.. Also, many say the undersaddle solution works best if there's a mic inside the guitar to mix with the piezos. The Fishman stuff uses that technique, as do some of the better L.R. Baggs units. Taylor's system is also a mixed pickups arrangement, but it's piezo + magnetic rather than a piezo + dynamic.

Back