Spruce-top/Bocote-neck Strat completed

Great Ape

Gotta do SOMETHING while tru-oil dries....So;
          Spruce top on chambered Alder, vintage tint natural binding
          Bocote-on-Bocote neck, '59 roundback, 6100SS frets, vintage-style tuners
          Duncan AlnicoII in neck, Duncan JB bridge, Bladerunner trem.
P9290140.jpg
P9290141.jpg
P9290142.jpg

That is one cool feckin' guitar, GA.  Classy, and also sorta sports a "you lookin' for a fight?" vibe to it at the same time.

That sir ..... is a bloody beauty  :headbang: ..... Would blend in well in my stable  :laughing7:

Bet ya love the Bocote neck, I know how mine is  :icon_biggrin:

Now how about a pic of the back side ?
I wanna see the lovely back side of the Bocote neck.

Nice strap too.

Hey .... is that an Ape I see in the refection  :icon_jokercolor:

Indeed-that is positively a primate! Yes, I love the bocote, and I'll post a pic of the back(and the binding) when I get some decent light-it's been raining for days here in the Northeast...and, I've discovered that gloss black is no picnic to photograph-monkeys appear outa nowhere in it!! :toothy10:
On a different note: Doug, did you get my PM?

And by the way, this is another example that confirms my operating theory that you should only have one busy thing per guitar:  Fingerboard, or top lam, or pickguard - but never two or more.  Great balance to this baby. 

I'd say you could probably apply the same principles as you would to clothes: it's OK to have more than one pattern (ie a piece of busy-ness), but not on the same scale. So you could have quilt maple, which is quite a large scale visual, and then have a smaller scale pattern of some other kind on the pickguard.

Can't think of an example offhand but in principle it should work. In the end, I guess, the same with clothes: if it works it works.

:blob7:  Thank you  :icon_biggrin:

Oh yeah, gotta love the Bocote  :headbang:

Did you notice it had a fuzzy / fury feel on the neck back, mine was until I sanded it much smoother.

Updown said:
:blob7:  Thank you  :icon_biggrin:

Oh yeah, gotta love the Bocote  :headbang:

Did you notice it had a fuzzy / fury feel on the neck back, mine was until I sanded it much smoother.
Of course, man-IT'S MONKEY FUR!!

I like this guitar a lot, thats what Bocote grain should look like for me. The binding, chambered body, the bridge. How is that bridge? looked forward to this put together.
Real nice :icon_thumright:

Really like your guitar - subtle but very custom looking. This and a couple of bodies that have come and gone very quickly from the showcase recently are giving me bad GAS for a solid-colour something with masked binding.

Anybody know why Warmoth insist on a lam top? Surely it wouldn't make any difference? Or am I missing something?

They don't insist on a top, unless the body is chambered or hollow. They're always offered for aesthetic reasons; custom builders often want custom appearances. But, you don't have to buy into them. The "Body Builder" is somewhat confusing on that point - it looks like you have to make a choice when you don't.

Back