Sperzel Tuner EZ Mount Screw Up

alexreinhold

First time using Sperzel tuners and I ran into a very frustrating problem. I installed them exactly as per how they are supposed be installed.

Now here's the important part - BEFORE I tightened the nut of the E-string tuner, the screw thread of the nut had already given up and dissolved itself from the tuner. There was no force applied whatsoever. I noticed the moment I tried (!) to tighten the nut - again, not after I tightened. When I took out the nut, I couldn't believe my eyes. So with a lot of work (and a screw that was just the right size) I managed to pull out the ripped off screw thread from the nut. The only option I saw was to super-glue it back to the tuner. It actually works but when I tune, the nut also moves slightly - so it's an intermediate solution at best.

The frustrating part about this is that I live in Europe and got them custom made from the US - so replacing them will be costly and time consuming. Also, the fact that these are EZ Mount makes things worse because I can't screw them into the headstock. Has anyone of you had similar experiences with Sperzel? My other guitars have locking tuners from Fender, Kluson, Planet Waves and Schaller and I NEVER had any problems with those. Below is a picture of what happened:

Screenshot-by-Snip-My-at-31-Mar-2022-at-09-42-55.png

Send Sperzel an email and a link to this thread etc and ask what they can do. Perhaps they might send you a replacement.

http://www.sperzel.com/contact-sperzel-usa.php

stratamania said:
Send Sperzel an email and a link to this thread etc and ask what they can do. Perhaps they might send you a replacement.

Did just that after I wrote the thread :)

I've got a set of sperzel tuners on my warmoth XII.  I didn't have the same problem that you had, but I was not very impressed with the quality.  What happed to me is that the (custom) tuning buttons stripped on the posts making tuning impossible.  Fixed with a different set of buttons.

They are still on there though...not enough of a PITA to make me want to change them completely.  But close... so close...

alexreinhold said:
stratamania said:

Did just that after I wrote the thread :)

Great minds and all that  :icon_thumright:

I'm surprised they even responded to a custom request.  I sent inquiries a few times and never got a response from either their form or a direct e-mail. :(

:yourock:
Mayfly said:
I've got a set of sperzel tuners on my warmoth XII.  I didn't have the same problem that you had, but I was not very impressed with the quality.  What happed to me is that the (custom) tuning buttons stripped on the posts making tuning impossible.  Fixed with a different set of buttons.

They are still on there though...not enough of a PITA to make me want to change them completely.  But close... so close...

Interesting, sperzel claims to machine their tuner bodies from bar stock. Afaik, all other tuners in that general style are die cast, and Alex's observed failure would be consistent with that, and very surprising in a machine part. Do you have a take on which way they were built?

Alex, care to send me the busted one for forensics?

Sadie-f said:
:yourock:
Mayfly said:

Interesting, sperzel claims to machine their tuner bodies from bar stock. Afaik, all other tuners in that general style are die cast, and Alex's observed failure would be consistent with that, and very surprising in a machine part. Do you have a take on which way they were built?

Alex, care to send me the busted one for forensics?

I'm not a mechanical engineer so I can't really comment much. BUT, Sperzel did as follows:

I see you have Ez-Mount  the problem is with the Ez-Mount if you do not mark or spot where the prongs will be , with a small center punch or Awl to help lead the prongs into the wood as you draw the tuner down to the neck
from the front with the nut and washer slowly , it puts a lot of stress on the fine threads and you may hit a hard spot in the wood . We could send you a replacement tuner by Post Office . That is for the Low  E correct  ?
This also happens if you try and get the tuner to sit flat on the neck and that little extra turn bottoms out the nut .

After I sent them my address, they haven't really responded but I think I might get a new one from them (which - if true - kudos to customer service).

In any case, I am very happy to send you the broken one, am based in Europe though. PM me for coordination.

Interesting, I'm taking it you didn't fail to drill a hole for the alignment pin, and then use the pin to to create the hole? I mean I could make that work, however I'd use an arbor press were I to go that way.

Will pm directly.

Sadie-f said:
Interesting, I'm taking it you didn't fail to drill a hole for the alignment pin, and then use the pin to to create the hole? I mean I could make that work, however I'd use an arbor press were I to go that way.

Will pm directly.

I didn't drill but used a screwdriver with pressure for a mini hole. Also, keep in mind, the neck is wenge - meaning it's fully of mini holes.

My guess would be that the threads were cut too deeply, resulting in insufficient wall thickness between the root of the thread and the ID of the center bore. This would explain why you were able to get the broken section back out. Usually this is next to impossible.

For clarification from the Sperzel website for all you drillers  :icon_jokercolor:

The Sperzel EZ-Mount requires no such drilling for the mounting pin. There are two prongs projecting from the back of the housing that actaully sink into the wood as you tighten the washer and barrel nut onto the headstock. These prongs efoortlessly perform the same task as our standard mounting pin - keeping the tuning key from moving on the headstock - without the added drilling.

PhilHill said:
My guess would be that the threads were cut too deeply, resulting in insufficient wall thickness between the root of the thread and the ID of the center bore. This would explain why you were able to get the broken section back out. Usually this is next to impossible.

To be fair - it's still a miracle to me that I managed to do that. I had this one thick screw that fit right in. I celebrated - wife didn't know what was so exciting.

alexreinhold said:
For clarification from the Sperzel website for all you drillers  :icon_jokercolor:

The Sperzel EZ-Mount requires no such drilling for the mounting pin. There are two prongs projecting from the back of the housing that actaully sink into the wood as you tighten the washer and barrel nut onto the headstock. These prongs efoortlessly perform the same task as our standard mounting pin - keeping the tuning key from moving on the headstock - without the added drilling.

Well shut my mouth! Never heard of such a thing!!! Also seems very unfair as I am going to have to drill 12 tiny holes for mine!

Spud said:
alexreinhold said:

Well shut my mouth! Never heard of such a thing!!! Also seems very unfair as I am going to have to drill 12 tiny holes for mine!

Well, at least your screw threads won't fall off then ;-)

alexreinhold said:
Spud said:
alexreinhold said:

Well, at least your screw threads won't fall off then ;-)

I think that I actually drilled the holes for mine...

Update: Sperzel has outstanding customer service. They send a replacement all the way to Germany free of charge. Respect!

IMG-20220427-151316.jpg

IMG-20220427-151348.jpg

Back