Speaking of live music name your top 3 concert experiences.

MUYFUE said:
Anyone who's seen Clutch knows they can kick it out! So much fun!

I finally got to see Clutch last Saturday in Edmonton...gosh dang, I have to agree with you.  That stage presence is just deadly.

thumb55 said:
bbl4ck said:
thumb55 said:
Incubus at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City 2001.  My favorite place to see a show.  Nice vibe, great band.

I lived in Kansas City for 16 years.  The Uptown Theature is one of the best places for a concernt I have ever been.

Love it  :headbang1:

it's great isn't it.  Liberty Hall in Lawrence and Starlight Theater are nice too.

+1  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Love them both as well...

1 = Andrew Bird... you can't understand until you've witnessed the genius and the insanity for yourself.  It is very hard to describe, but there is just this wall of sound... like you're in a pool of this weird otherworldly gorgeous music... to put it the way my friend did, "I forgot I had a body".  I tell people to buy a ticket whenever he is in town, even if they don't know who he is because his live act is so mind blowing I cannot imagine someone not being impressed. 

I don't really like to go see the huge name bands in general.  I don't like paying $50 for nosebleed seats where I can't even see the band.  Belle and Sebastian was a great show, as was The Decemberists, but they were at the Hollywood Bowl and I couldn't see much.  It was worth it though because the LA Phil played with them. 

hannaugh said:
1 = Andrew Bird... you can't understand until you've witnessed the genius and the insanity for yourself.  It is very hard to describe, but there is just this wall of sound... like you're in a pool of this weird otherworldly gorgeous music... to put it the way my friend did, "I forgot I had a body".  I tell people to buy a ticket whenever he is in town, even if they don't know who he is because his live act is so mind blowing I cannot imagine someone not being impressed. 

I don't really like to go see the huge name bands in general.  I don't like paying $50 for nosebleed seats where I can't even see the band.  Belle and Sebastian was a great show, as was The Decemberists, but they were at the Hollywood Bowl and I couldn't see much.  It was worth it though because the LA Phil played with them. 

+10 on Andrew Bird. He is such an incredible musician in all his parts (vocalist, classically trained violinist, guitarist, whistler!), but then when you put them together at the same time - and he DOES do them at the same time - something magic happens. So good, so good.

hannaugh said:
I don't like paying $50 for nosebleed seats where I can't even see the band. 

Agreed to the 100100 power :icon_thumright:
Unfortunately, all the big acts these days are all about the almighty $$$$$. 

I got spoiled by having season tickets to Sandstone Amphitheater in Kansas City for 6 years.  Seats were third row center aisle.  Now, having anything but great seats is not bearable.
Fortunately, or unfortunately as it may be, ticket scalping is legal in Phoenix.  I am able to get great seats for any of the big shows, but pay through the arss for them.
I boycott anything but the best shows that are charging the outrageous prices and stick with the local acts where I can have a great time at a livable price.

What can be done to real in the cost of current shameful prices  :dontknow:

SNARK- the "Death Razor " tour
Ux32 - 2004
15 RABID PHILLIPINOS -  last tour  ..amazeing!

Well, this is a good old days post, but it didn't used to be expensive... the top bands like the Stones and Zeppelin might charge $7.50, but you could see mid-level bands like the Grateful Dead or the Allman Brothers for less. Musicians weren't so all-out greedy, back then (The Eagles and Zepp actually started the trend toward piggishness as the highest virtue). I was amazed the first time I paid more than $10 a ticket, and that was sometime in the 1980's. There were a lot of great local bands around, and they weren't immediately merchandised to the core. Austin in particular was ridiculous - walk into any bar and get blown away by some total unknown. Boston, San Francisco, New York - even the concerts used to be a fun time, not an "event." Being rapaciously greedy was actually considered "wrong" :eek: - creak, creak, grumble thud. [wheelchair icon/]

I'm with you there. The prices on these bigger shows is out of hand.
On the other hand, they tend to be for the groups that have a long history and won't let the crowd down.
The best deal around, in Texas anyway is the ACL festival.
It's expensive up front, but there are SO MANY great groups playing it's worth it.

seeing Sleater-Kinney for $17 in 2006 was the most rock and roll for you dollar I could find...

unfortunately I never got to see these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugazi#Business_practice_and_ethics

New favourite show of all-time: Social Distortion at the Impérial in Quebec City last night. Simply fantastic rock n' roll/country/punk. First opening band was good, second one sucked, but what are ya gonna do?

Oh, it cost $39.50.  :laughing7:

Social D is great! I got the DVD from a few years back, and man it must have been great to hear those Pauls roar!
Did they play the P-90 Gold Tops? I bet it was sweet. I can never understand anything Ness is saying, though  :toothy12: Makes it more fun to sing along!

stubhead said:
creak, creak, grumble thud. [wheelchair icon/]

Stubby did you just fall out of your wheelchair??  :toothy10:

Most of the shows I go to cost between $10 and $20. I think this is pretty fair, though I certainly smile a whole lot wider when myself AND a buddy can go to a concert for a lone Jackson.

I have seen a ton of shows -- but I always come back to the small room experience.  The best three shows -- all of them in Minneapolis at First Avenue (yes, the place where Purple Rain was filmed):

1.  Sugar -- if you don't know who they are, look them up.  (OK, it was Bob Mould from Husker Du).  They were great, and the whole bar was dancing to these post-punk masters.
2.  The Suburbs reunion concert in '94 -- a mainly local Minnesota band that should have been bigger than they were.  Listen to Rattle My Bones.  Once again, the whole place was rockin'!
3.  Bad Religion in '94 -- I had just moved back to MN and the LA shows sold out in minutes.  I walked up, got a ticket and had a fantastic time in the pit.  (if you have been to any BR show you know what I mean).

Honorable Mentions:
-  Ride at Slims in SF.  Shoegazing at it's best.  (I couldn't hear right for days)
-  Paul McCartney -- yes, a big ticket show (actually very big ticket), but a tremendous performer, and today is the 40th aniversary of the Abey Road picture being taken.  {http://www.abbeyroad.co.uk/visit/}

MUYFUE said:
Social D is great! I got the DVD from a few years back, and man it must have been great to hear those Pauls roar!
Did they play the P-90 Gold Tops? I bet it was sweet. I can never understand anything Ness is saying, though  :toothy12: Makes it more fun to sing along!

It was amazing! Ness played the "Orange County" Gold Top for most of the songs, but also had a tobacco burst Paul with a "13" sticker on it (if the song is any indication, 13 is his lucky number). Both with P-90s. The rhythm guitarist, whose name escapes me at the moment, played a handful of LP Juniors with P-90s and one blonde Tele. Everything just sounded phenomenal. Those guys have great tone.

The Impérial is relatively small, but it was packed, and it's really cool to hear a few thousand (mostly) francophones singing along at the top of their lungs to a song like "Prison Bound." I know I was a little hoarse this morning! Sadly, they didn't play "99 to Life." However, Mike Ness did threaten to "come down there and choke a bitch" when some guy started clobbering people and throwing stuff.  :laughing7:

Classic. You just made my day :icon_thumright:

I can here him too, all scratchy "ahhm gonna haive ta come down there...and..."
I live through you!  :tard:

Back