Speaking of live music name your top 3 concert experiences.

Tonar8352

Ok this will tuff if you have seen a lot of shows but name the top three concert experiences you have had.

My first real rock show was in 1974 at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium. The Doobie Brothers with some unknown rock band from the mid-west named REO Speedwagon.  That was before REO turned commercial and they blew the place apart.  Gary Richrath with a wall a Marshalls and a 59 Burst.  My ears rang for days. The Doobies rocked hard back then too.

Stevie Ray Vaughn at UC Davis in the early 80’s.  He started the show with Voodoo Chile and did not let up for the next 2 hours.  I walked out knowing that I had been privileged to see one of the most powerful players to come along.

I saw Yes in Oakland at the arena in 1977 and they were amazing.  They sounded so good in that huge hall it was unbelievable.

I have seen many great shows but I think those are my top three.

I think the only two I've seen are
Van Halen. Great show, IMO.
Jethro Tull. I think I was.. 4. I don't even remember the show.

1. Queens of the Stone Age and Rage Against the Machine, in Milwaukee 2007
2. Robert Randolph and the Family Band, in Chicago 2003 - I don't think I have a single song or album by these guys but the concert rocked my socks off.
3. Melvins and Big Business, in Madison 2008

Seeing VH in 1982 was pretty amazing for me. Just everything about it was so over the top.

Metallica on the Justice tour (with Queensryche opening) was really great. Every time I saw Metallica they were great but that show was them at their best, IMO

Bjork at Radio City Music Hall in NYC less than a month after 9/11 - very beautiful and emotional night. Really helped me start to feel normal again after that terrible day.

The first and last times I saw Sleater-Kinney. The first time they exceeded my expectation so much that I was just so happy. I felt like how I imagine it must have felt for people to see Led Zeppelin for the first time. Amazing energy, amazing crowd, Carrie Brownstein flying through the air and doing windmills like a mad woman, Janet Weiss channeling Bonham. Just an incredible band. The last time I saw them was their last show in NYC and it was really tough knowing I'd most likely never see them play again. I saw them a total of six times.

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan when he was touring for "In Step".  I don't think I ever saw anyone else captivate an audiance the way he did, but then again most were probably guitar players who were awe struck (like me).

I saw Metallica on the "And Justice for All" tour, which, at the time, made me realize I was getting too old for those kind of shows.

In the mid to late 80's I saw Jason and the Scorchers, and they put on a great show.

Being an Indie Rock Type, I'm certain that these folks are not household names:

1 - Leslie Spit Trio, in early 1991 at the OLD Barrymores music hall in Ottawa.  Simply jaw dropping.
2 - Reostatics at the alumni theater, Carlton university 1992.  We didn't know who the hell they were - just that we loved every song.
3 - Big Sugar at the NEW Barrymores music hall in Ottawa, early 2000's.  Louder than <deleted by moderators>.  Gordie did not use floor monitors - amazing.

I'm not a fan of big arena shows - but I did see Boston once.  it was kinda interesting.

Oh - and I saw The Tragically Hip at some bar somewhere before they were famous.  I thought they were some Doors cover band  :icon_biggrin:

GoDrex said:
Metallica on the Justice tour (with Queensryche opening) was really great. Every time I saw Metallica they were great but that show was them at their best, IMO

+1
I saw that tour as well.  I can't say which band was better ... they both rocked the house big time.

#2 would be when I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn OPENING for Robert Plant.  No offense to Mr. Zeppelin, but SRV blew him off the stage!

#3 would be Tori Amos ... saw her on stage with only her piano.  An acoustic guitar player joined her for a few tunes, but otherwise it was her show.  Amazing.

Tonar8353 said:
I saw Yes in Oakland at the arena in 1977 and they were amazing.  They sounded so good in that huge hall it was unbelievable.
So jealous!!!!!!!!  :sad:

I have seen YES about 5 or 6 times, once with a full orchestra and one time with both versions of YES united on a rotating stage!! they were all great, but I will never forget the one in a fairly small place (vicar street theatre) in Dublin. I was so close, leaning my arms on the stage!  + it was the classic line up with Anderson, Howe, Squore, white and Wakeman!! so that's 1.

2/ The Who in the royal albert hall, London in '89. they played a 'best off' followed by a full version of tommy. complete with guests. extremely exciting! I saw them another time 5 years later in Holland doing quadrophenia live, which was almost as good, and quadrophenia is permanently in my top 3 favorite albums. which helps.
(I had to give away my tickets for the above mentioned metallica/queensryche tour to attend this concert!)

3/ Hard to pick a 3rd one, but my first "real" big hall concert was Iron Maiden in I think 85. I had never experienced anything like that before. complete with giant eddies, and lots of fireworks!

couple of honorable mentions:
- Pink Floyd in 88 on a floating stage in Venice!! fantastic experience.. and it was broadcasted live all over Europe!
- Most U2 concerts I have been to. haven't missed one tour up till the previous one. the 80s where the best!
- Queensryche in May.. 3 suites containing Rage for Order, Empire and American Soldier! can't get much better. and  great value for 35 bucks!

mayfly said:
Being an Indie Rock Type, I'm certain that these folks are not household names:

1 - Leslie Spit Trio, in early 1991 at the OLD Barrymores music hall in Ottawa.  Simply jaw dropping.
2 - Reostatics at the alumni theater, Carlton university 1992.  We didn't know who the hell they were - just that we loved every song.
3 - Big Sugar at the NEW Barrymores music hall in Ottawa, early 2000's.  Louder than <deleted by moderators>.  Gordie did not use floor monitors - amazing.

I'm not a fan of big arena shows - but I did see Boston once.  it was kinda interesting.

Oh - and I saw The Tragically Hip at some bar somewhere before they were famous.  I thought they were some Doors cover band  :icon_biggrin:

Dude, Big Sugar and Reostatics were awesome! Two more Canadian bands I never got the chance to see, along with the Headstones, my all-time favourite Canadian band. Hugh Dillon is a great lyricist and has a really good rock n' roll voice.

My top three shows would have to be Kiss on the Plains of Abraham this summer (with 90,000 people in attendance) and Millencolin and Streetlight Manifesto, both at the Impérial in Quebec City (on separate occasions). If anyone out there does not know Streetlight, check them out. This ain't your daddy's ska band.  :laughing7:

Oh yeah, tomorrow night I finally get to see Social Distortion in concert!  :headbang:

I saw Yes on the Union tour - in the round, when it was the combined bands:

Jon Anderson / vocals
- Chris Squire / bass, backing vocals
- Bill Bruford / drums
- Alan White / drums
- Trevor Rabin / guitars
- Steve Howe / guitars, backing vocals
- Rick Wakeman / keyboards
- Tony Kaye / keyboards

that's some insane amount of talent on one stage

I'm a bit young and when I had time to watch concerts I didn't have the money, now I got the money but ain't got the time...
But lets see:

1) Rob Halford on Rock In Rio III 2002 - I had never heard of him, didn't know he was Judas Priest singer and haven't heard a song of Priest as far as I remember, even the Ressuration album... They gone to stage after Sepultura who made a freaking good show, but they played soooo hard, with so much will that I got SPEECHLESS! To you understand how good was the show, Iron Maiden went just after and played not with much will and it sounded to me really bad (add that on first 10 songs they played 8 of the Brave New World, new record at the time, that I didn't have listened...) Before Eddie went on stage I left the building...

2) Deep Purple in Pacaembu Stadium 2004 - They played very very well, very tight, was amazing... The opening bands were Hellacopters and Sepultura, both amazing shows too...

3) Aerosmith on Morumbi Stadium 2007 or 2008 - They start played many "mtv ballads", but it was perhaps the most tight band I ever seen, when they start to play some of their old rocks, it become just wonderfull!!! The opening was Velvet Revolver, they looked pissed off or without inspiration, perhaps they had a fight before the stage...

#1 Tool - Calgary Saddledome 2002 Lateralus Tour
     First time I had seen anybody use video images as part of the act, and the only one I've seen to use it well.  Also the only band I've seen that didn't use a typical stage setup.  Also played a 2 1/2 hour set and only played 11 songs.  Not everybody's thing but I loved it.

#2 Coheed and Cambria - 2008 Calgary @ Mac Hall
     First time I had seen this band at one of their own shows instead of something like Warped tour, surrounded by real fans, they didn't get booed off stage.  Phenominal show, Also had one of the best opening bands I'd ever seen.  Pride Tiger.  The drummer was the lead vocalist and he played right up front, great energy.

#3 Finger Eleven @ the Coke Stage in the stampede grounds.. somewhere around 2000.  My first concert ever.  Out doors, one of my top 5 bands.  Rowdy but respectful crowd, Went together with all my band mates.  Too bad that place went to crap in the last few years.  I'd never go see a rock show at the Coke Stage again.

runners up:

Rise Against in the shaw conference centre in Edmonton 2005.  I was so tired fighting to keep my place at the front during the first 3 bands that I pussed out, but ended up fighting my way back to the front 4 more times that show,  Plus it was amazing.

Tom Cochrane 2008 Lethbridge Enmax centre.  Great energy.  Laid back as far as the crowd goes. it was all seating but about 3 dozen people came up to the front to stand at the foot of the stage and rock out with him.  he's old but he's awesome.

RUSH, Vapor Trails tour. Saw them three times that tour, but the first one at Chicago Tweeter Center was a spiritual experience. They were always my fav band, and I had seen them seven or so times before they took their break. Neil had a bad period of life there and I thought they were finished. And then getting to see them again, and they rocked. I felt like a girl at a Beatles show. Seriously had to choke back a couple of tears. I know, I am pathetic.

Saw Jethro Tull at a small place, maybe 2000 seats. It was just a few years ago, Aqualung Live. Played the entire album. It was fantastic. Not all Tull appeals to me, but Aqualung is one of my fav albums ever.

Too many to choose from to pick a third. But, the worst show I ever saw from a headliner was Cheap Trick. I was a mild fan until I saw them.

Whooo!  Seen way too many shows to pick out three favorites, or even remember them all.
My first concert, not really a rock & roll show, was Three Dog Night and must have been ~1970.  Thought I was cool because I got one of the drummers sticks.

First real rock & roll show was Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, and The Buddy Miles Blues Band.  Must of been ~ 72
This was back in the days when everybody did a 4 hour show with a 30 minute intermission in the middle.

When I think about the best, I have to go back to those old shows because they just rocked on and on and on...

Black Sabbath [I think Masters of Reality Tour] ~72
Pink Floyd [some time after Ummagumma ~72 ? & Dark Side of the Moon ~ 73-74 ?]
Yes [many, many, times. Never missed em' 73, 74, 77,78,84,&87]

Seen Stevie Ray 3 or 4 times and was amongst the best shows.
The Boss used to do some killer shows.
Santana used to do some killer shows before he went commercial
If ya like da Ray Gay, UB40 did some killer shows that would keep you on your feet for hours.
Never saw the Beatles, but have seen McCartney 5 times and all were great just for the Beatles tunes.
David Bowie 3 times and all were killer.

My favorite recent shows have been Rage Against the Machine twice.

Just too many shows and too many lost memories to name all the good one's.
Hope I am never too old to rock & roll... :headbang1:

1.)  Tool in '07 at the Fort Worth Convention Center.  I'm a casual fan, but the place was packed (albeit not a large arena) with fans that knew every word to every song.  It was their church.  Danny Carey's kit uses 22 channels, Adam Jones has lot of energy for a guy that isn't your typical lead guitar player, Justin Chancellor A+, and Maynard?  Well he's just Maynard.  If you were to make a list of how to have a sucessful show, it might include moving around, engaging the audience between songs, etc. etc.  They did none of this and rocked it!

2.)  Eric Sardinas and Big Motor in '08 at Hat Trick's in Lewisville.  This is a small club but he is a big name that has toured with Satch and Vai.  He will change the way you think about the Blues and Resonators.  I've heard his CD and it doesn't do him justice.  A Resonator with the guts of an MXR crammed into it playing through a Rivera full stack!  Loud!

3.)  Napalm Death and Carcass (may have been Cannibal Corpse), it had to be about 1992 or so.  Nothing really special but it was my first real show.  I was 16 and got to drive to Houston with two friends, I had my wisdom teeth pulled 2 days earlier and was all vicodin'd up in a mosh pit.

yep, so many great shows it's hard to pick three.

1) A.R.M.S. charity show ...Page, Clapton, Beck, Joe Cocker, guys from the stones, Ray Cooper. the stadium went ape shite when Page got on.. Ray Cooper blew my mind with his tambourine. 1983 Oakland coliseum

2) ABWH at the shoreline. first time I got to see "Yes" with Howe, Wakeman, and Bruford I didnt know at the time that they were taping the show for pay-per-view. Got a video of it now. Ive seen yes 5 or six times after. At one show I went to in SF (the Warfield i think) Roger Dean was there pleading to the folks at the ticket counter to let him in..."you've gotta let me in, I'm Roger Dean!!" Of coarse they didnt know who Roger Dean was. It really was him. it was very funny.

3) Chuck Berry at the Circle Star in Redwood City. I think this was about 76 or 77. The Circle Star had one of those "in the round" stages like Yes used. Chuck "boogied on his finger and then wiped it on the wall" I must have been about 7 or 8 but had heard most of his stuff by then, my dad had a large record collection.

Brian

My first memory ever was of a pink floyd concert. I was about 3 and a half.

1. Jonny Lang- house of blues, dallas. seen him there twice and can't decide which is better.

2. Los lonely boys- palladium ballroom, dallas. not necessarily their best performance, but after watching henry play i picked up a guitar and actually stuck with it.

3. John Mayer- superpages.com center. the sheer enormity of the event, and the way he was able to captivate an audience so big that even the lawn seats way in the back were standing room only, was amazing and impressive.

Unfortunately i be po'... so i don't see everybody i want to when they come to town.

Sooooooooo many to choose from............

1.    Metallica - Wembley Stadium, London, 2007
2.    The Who - Isle of Wight Festival, 2004
3    Muse - Wembley Stadium, 2007

Notable others.............
Pearl Jam, Melbourne, Australia, 2006
Ozzy Osbourne, Wembley Arena recently, cant remember when
The Hollies, Mayflower Theatre, Yeeeeaaaaaars ago, was about 12, so cant remember, went with Mum and Dad.  First ever concert and it was brilliant.
Band of Skulls, Hamptons pub, Southampton, about 3 weeks ago. Seriously amazing atmosphere in such a tiny venue.
The Hamsters, (Hendrix and ZZ Top tribute act), loads of times.  Always amazing
Paul Carrack (ex Genesis, and Mike and the Mechanics).  I recorded him live for a radio session he was doing for us.  Doesnt coutn as a concert, but his voice was incredible.  just him and his acoustic guitar.

Numerous others that dont spring to mind right now.

I have only two really special standouts, U2 in Copenhagen on the Elevation Tour in '01 and Bergman Rock in Malmö in '04 or something. U2 were amazing and my ears rang for days after - I was exhausted after jumping around all the time too.

With Bergman Rock, well... after a few songs I simply vanished as a conscious being and literally didn't wake up again until it was over. Talk about religious experience, it's something I'll never forget. I only knew one song of theirs before and had to write a review for a morning paper of the show as well! It wasn't very coherent...

After those two there have been several memorable concerts: Anna Ternheim on her first national tour, Soundtrack of Our Lives on the Origin tour, U2 on ZooTV (my first concert ever, it was way too much to handle at the time), Peter Gabriel on Growing Up, Ed Harcourt in Malmö on '01 or '02.

I've missed both Leonard Cohen, REM and King Crimson in the last few years due to being poor and/or unemployed. It sucks.

best live concert for me was in london 1996 at hyde park. ticket price 10 pounds! bands : alannis morrisette, bob dylan, eric clapton, the who, plus david gilmour.

second best is u2 in madison square garden in 2005 or 2006 - fantastic show.

third best show was zappa plays zappa in madison square theatre. nelson murphy brock was in killer form but the highlight was the duel between dweezil and steve vai.

i have seen a lot of others too : van morrison (he was drunk on that day and was abusing the audience!), jethro tull (martin barre is such a great guitarist), deep purple (don't like steve morse), aerosmith (i think brad whitford is better than joe perry), iron maiden, buddy guy, john mclaughlin with shakti, eric clapton with steve winwood, steely dan etc.

i wish i had seen these people live : frank zappa, cream, genesis with peter gabriel, pink floyd, stevie ray, otis rush, magic sam etc

Back