Speaking of live music name your top 3 concert experiences.

btw in india we get some old bands who probably cannot sell out concerts in the usa/uk anymore. we got uriah heep a couple of years back (but without david byron - is he dead?). deep purple, iron maiden, mark knopfler, buddy guy and elton john were here all within the last two years. sepultra and megadeth as well. the stones played here in 2003 - but unfortunately i was in usa then! i am sure somebody will bring in clapton and santana soon - because they are sooooooooo popular here. out here since we have a huge population, lot of people turn up for these shows and the crowds generally never fail to impress the performers. and a lot of performers are so surprised and pleased that they have fans in such a faraway place who know a lot of their songs and sing along with them - i saw bruce dickinson so visibly moved and he kept his promise to come back with his band and play another show within six months. yea india has changed - a long way since the 80s when the only bands we knew were boneym and abba!

Well, I'm old... I saw Yes in '77, the Stones, Zepp in '75, the "real" Who etc. By far the most mind-blowing was the first, "real" Mahavishnu Orchestra. The very first concert I went to was Grand Funk Railroad, then the second one, a guitar-playing friend dragged me to see Mahavishnu in the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis. I didn't sleep for five days afterward, and I hadn't even discovered drugs yet... :eek: McLaughlin came close a few other times too, once with the first Shakti in '77 and once with the guitar trio in '83 - DiMeola, De Lucia, McLaughlin (and Steve Morse). I used to see the Dregs a lot in Florida. When I lived in Austin I used to go see SRV for $1.98 when he was just a little blues weasel in the early 80's and the Continental Club was just my neighborhood dive. On a "good" day, I could smell their clogged toilet from my house in South Austin.

hmm.. seeing van halen in dallas with david lee roth was pretty damn cool...
the last two queensryche concerts were awesome..

I went to the eric clapton crossroads festival. that was slick too..

My first "Big" concert when I was a young buck was Peter Frampton tho..  :laughing7: :icon_jokercolor:

stubhead...damn.  Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade...hehe

Top 3...

Metallica - Rexall Place, Edmonton, Dec 08 - Just an amazing show.  Had seen them previously on the St.Anger tour, but they blew themselves out of the water on this one.
Buckcherry - The Kooler Nightclub, Lloydminster, Feb.06 - Say what you will, Buckcherry is pretty decent live.  This show was amazing for a couple of reasons - they had just gotten back together and were climbing back up the ladder so they were playing hard and kickin ass...and it was in a bar, so I was 5' away from them.  Love bar shows...Lloyd had quite a few good ones roll through town.
George Carlin - Jubilee Auditorium, Edmonton, Feb.08 - Not a concert per say, but it was amazing to see Carlin do his thing.  I've been a fan of his since I was about 10.  His last HBO special had some of his best material in a long time.  72 years old, and he still had the magic.  I feel good that I got to see him before he passed away.

I really, really want to throw Eagles of Death Metal in there from when they played Edmonton Event Centre (stupidest name for a venue...just call it Red's again and get it over with...and Rexall Place...I'm just back to calling it the Coliseum...but those are different stories...) Eagles rocked the house hard.  And Jesse was really into playing the crowd and getting us vibed up...before the show we were first row up against the rail, I was having a beer...all of a sudden I hear someone say "hey guys, whats up?" I look and it's Jesse, the lead singer for Eagles...got to say hi, he shook all of our hands, apparently he was walking around the mall all day talking to people...cool guy.

Jeff Beck on the Guitarshop tour.
ZZ Top playing a 3000 seat venue (about 7 years ago?)
Frank Zappa c.1987

Hmm difficult....

1) Roger Waters, Birmingham NEC, 2007 - All you need to know is that RW and his band played Dark Side of the Moon in it's entirety and paid tribute to Syd through the set.

2) Porcupine Tree, Norwich UEA LCR 2007 - This was my second PT gig, the first gig was mostly song from Fear of A Blank Planet and Deadwing, the Norwich set was much more diverse and therefore better.

3) Van Der Graaf Generator, Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall 2007 - This was the first tour by the current line up and they played early version of a couple of songs that eventually appeared on Trisector, oh and they also managed half of Pawn Hearts although sadly not the half that consists entirely of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. Plus I was in a front row seat, so I got the full power of VDGG right in my face, some songs were fairly terrifying as a result (Gog in particular).

2007 was a good year for me, 2008 was awful though, and all the gigs I'll be attending this year are bunched up over the next three months, although having said that they should be bloody brilliant. 

vtpcnk said:
third best show was zappa plays zappa in madison square theatre. nelson murphy brock was in killer form but the highlight was the duel between dweezil and steve vai.

I saw them too and it was amazing. I never got to see Frank so this was the next best thing. I was very impressed with all of it and for me the highlight was the times Dweezil did songs with Frank on the big screen. It was pretty emotional for me, because I love that man.

[quote author=texicus]George Carlin - Jubilee Auditorium, Edmonton, Feb.08 - Not a concert per say, but it was amazing to see Carlin do his thing.  I've been a fan of his since I was about 10.  His last HBO special had some of his best material in a long time.  72 years old, and he still had the magic.  I feel good that I got to see him before he passed away.[/quote]

saw George twice - once on the Back In Town tour in 1996 and once in 1999 for You're All Diseased. He was incredible both times. Really really glad I got to see him. Love him a lot too.

#1 David Gilmour - On an Island tour 2006. I traveled to Glasgow to se him. Amazing  :guitaristgif:

#2 Iron Maiden - Edward the Great

#3 U2 - Vertigo

1 - Some then unknown guy opening for the Moody Blues in 1983 - went by the name of Stevie Ray Vaughan
2 - 1979 Van Halen blowing Black Sabbath off the stage
3 - Queensryche, New Years Eve 1991 (knowing their Engineer, Tom hall helped make that show)
So many more...  Rush in 1978 on the 2112 tour was awesome, KISS on the Destroyer tour, OZZY w/ Randy Rhoads, The Stones in 1981, etc...

Foo Fighters - Monday, Sept. 8, 2008...PHENOMENAL SHOW/SHOWMANSHIP by Dave Grohl & the Foos...a rescheduled show to make up for a prior cancellation due to Dave being ill, throat problems I believe, but they came out and played full on for almost 3 hours and kept saying that they were sorry for the delay and really wanted to make it up to the fans...constant talking w/the crowd, played everything you could ask for from their catalog and some covers. Just a KILLER CONCERT!

Buddy Guy - Saturday, August 9, 2008...another PHEMOMENAL SHOW/SHOWMANSHIP by a BLUES MASTER! Second time seeing BG and he never disappoints. Firey playing, plenty of banter w/the crowd, walked out into the crowd and up the stairs while playing, talked w/fans, etc. There aren't a lot of blues guys left out there, esp. from the Classic Period...IMHO Buddy Guy & B.B. King are the last of a dying breed. If you get a chance to see him...GO...you will not be disappointed and will totally understand WHY JIMI HENDRIX AND STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN WERE INFLUENCED BY BUDDY!  

Prince - Pepsi Center August 27,2004 "Musicology Tour" - REPEAT: INCREDIBLE SHOW/SHOWMANSHIP...if you've never seen PRINCE....you're missing out! Talk about putting on a show. Seeing Prince playing solo acoustic guitar...center stage in the Pepsi Center...playing & singing "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" and candidly talking with the audience and instructing them when and where to sing along...the only thing that topped that was seeing His Purpleness playing "Purple Rain" on his Purple Symbol Guitar from the 1st Floor Stage Level from only a few yards away....it just doesn't get any better!

All three shows...JUST CHOCK FULL OF GREAT GUITAR WORK!!!

But as everyone says...there are so many more...Living Color opening for Guns N Roses opening for The Stones @ the Colliseum in L.A. on the Steel Wheels Tour in '87...Motley Cure opening for Ozzy in Nashville in 1983...more recently...Mars Volta/Red Hot Chili Peppers a couple of years back on their last album tour at the Pepsi Center...Rise  Against/My Chemical Romance on the Black Parade Tour at DU...

I haven't seen a whole lot, but Bon Jovi last year was really good. 

I saw the Foo's to. They were GREAT.  But the opening acts were HORRIBLE, and Dave swears just a little too much for comfort, good showman though.

I'm goin to see the ZZ Top/ Aerosmith thing this fall and Creed as well. And I REALLY need to see Rush live to.  And Pearl Jam...and Stone Temple Pilots....

i'm more into small venues and small bands, but the few bigger shows i've seen have been awesome

1. SR-71 at the recher in towson, MD. great live show, the best stage presence i've ever seen
2. Thrice at the 2005 warped tour in DC. debuted some great songs, and they've gotten kind of strange since so i'm glad i saw them when i did haha
3. A Thorn for Every Heart at 2005 warped tour. small band, i had been a fan for years so when i found out they were traveling all the way to the east coast i had to be there! and i'm very glad i was

Atreyu is one of my favorites too, saw them at warped. and the Beach Boys came to the fair grounds near where i live, that was awesome. it was forever ago, and there was only one original member left, but it was great. they still sound like the Beach Boys.

Van Halen -w- Dave in October 2007 KC Sprint Center. I'd been waiting to see them together since 1984.

Metallica -w- Queensryche Justice tour (89?) Queensryche was touring for Mindcrime.  Great Show.

Incubus at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City 2001.  My favorite place to see a show.  Nice vibe, great band.

honorable mention.............

Hearing Metallica played over the PA at Judas Priest's Turbo Fuel for Life tour in 1986.  Life changing moment.

thumb55 said:
Incubus at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City 2001.  My favorite place to see a show.  Nice vibe, great band.

I lived in Kansas City for 16 years.  The Uptown Theature is one of the best places for a concernt I have ever been.

Love it  :headbang1:

bbl4ck said:
thumb55 said:
Incubus at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City 2001.  My favorite place to see a show.  Nice vibe, great band.

I lived in Kansas City for 16 years.  The Uptown Theature is one of the best places for a concernt I have ever been.

Love it  :headbang1:

it's great isn't it.  Liberty Hall in Lawrence and Starlight Theater are nice too.

Not necessarily in order:

1.) Texas International Pop Festival 1969 - groups: B.B.King, Canned Heat, Chicago, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, Freddie King, Grand Funk Railroad, Herbie Mann, Incredible String Band, James Cotton Blues Band, Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, Led Zeppelin, Nazz, The Quarry, Rotary Connection, Sam & Dave, Santana, Shiva's Headband, Sly & the Family Stone, Space Opera, Spirit, Sweetwater, Ten Years After and Tony Joe White

2.)  Original live tour performance of The Wall with elaborate stage show 1981, Dortmund, Germany

3.)  Have to think about #3 for a while, too many candidates, will come back and edit later....

Best Concert Experience I've ever had...at a metal show  :headbang1:
1.  Machine Head, Neurosis, Biohazard, Pantera. Johnnyland, Corpus Christi, TX. Damn what a line up. I got to the front at the very beginning and MAN was it a rough show! I've seen each of these bands a few times but never at the same show!

MH was in top shape that night. The show opened with the craziest feedback and Robb coming out and yelling the chorus from Davidian. That set the crowd on FYAH! One of those times Machine Head came out with Dime guitars and explained to the crowd that Pantera broke their guitars the night before and gave them 2 of Dime's to make up for it!  :sad:
Neurosis terrified everyone!  :evil4: I think only me and my freind Ian knew any of the songs. Everyone else just stood there slackjaw.
When Biohazard came on you'd think that civil war had started. To this day, I've never seen anything more violent and chaotic. Getting caught in that mosh brought out true animal panic. Even Slayer couldn't touch that pit! At one Biohazard show later on, Billy jumped into the crowd and landed on me! The edge of his SG hit me in the face and boy that sent me ringing...I was gonna roll him, but it's Billy...he'd have killed me! And Pantera! Oh Pantera was...SO LOUD! That show was during the bad times in the band and Phil wasn't funny anymore. Dime was having a great time but Phil was starting to get into his whole "I'm invincible" thing. I stood infront of Dime the whole time and tried to learn his parts. He gave me a pick!  :dontknow: yeah it was cool. I was lucky to catch them about nine or ten more times before the break up. Never saw Damagepran.

2. Clearlight, Clutch, C.O.C. at Emo's in Austin, TX. I got to meet Pepper Keenan and have a beer with him at the bar! He's a cool dude, and a hell of a showman!
Clearlight was kinda cool, but not my fave. Actually they may as well have not played. Clutch and C.O.C. stole the show. Anyone who's seen Clutch knows they can kick it out! So much fun! That crazy Neil Fallon was fantastic that night. He got everyone dancing! C.O.C. was the highlight of the night. Emo's is small so I was right up front singing along with Pep! I'd seen them a few times, but never that close. They played for a long time too and kept on getting the crowd to sing along. I'm a little...energetic...as I'm sure y'all can tell, so I kept getting worried looks from that funny bug eyed Keenan  :tard:. Then after the show I saw him just standing around by himself...I had brought all my CD covers of course and went all fan boi on him. I'm so stupid that I brought something for him to sign from before he was in the band...  :doh: He was real cool though and chilled me out, signed my stuff and sat down with me to have a beer and talk about music! Just an overall GREAT rock show.

3. Get ready for it............ELVIS CRESPO in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Not a rock show at all, he plays Merengue and Salsa with an incredible band. I was lucky enough to be working security that night and I opened the door for him and his band, wished him a good show and saw the whole thing from back stage side right. I dunno...it was just a BLAST! He was the only band that night and they played for about 2 hours, I think. It was cool, The band went on stage first and Elvis stayed on the stairs. He got his mic and gave me some nod like, "Ok Mang, les pley." I was lost  'cause I had nothing to do with sound...Just physical security. So, I just did the 'snap and point' and he started to sing Suavemente...So many people dancing and drinking, OH MY...it looked like that Biohazard pit at first glance then you realize that all these people are dancing and smiling and jumping and singing. Quite an exhilerating night I must say.

Metallica is my favorite band overall, so I should list their show in Houston last year, cause it was Awesome! Loud as bombs! Plus DOWN played too, and that was great even though they didn't play Three Sons and One Star. 
Honorable mentions go to:
Gypsy Kings at the Woodlands
Blue Man Group in Corpus.
Santana in S.A.
ACL a few years back had The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Rocky Erikson!, Blues Traveler, Allman Brothers!, Buddy Guy!, Black Crowes! The Black Keys, Robert Randolph...too many others. That was the best one. Maye the next year when Bjork played...oooh Bjork...
Oh, man there's this band from Austin called Fatback Circus that played in SA a while back. ist off they were awesome, but they ALSO did a out of this world cover of Zepplin's Communication breakdown. Awesome show there too.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Soul to Soul tour at Will Rogers Convention Center in FT. Worth

Scorpions, Pure Instinct tour at the Starplex in Dallas...Front row seats...Darringer and Alice Cooper opened...

Joe Satriani, Crystal Planet debut in L.A. at the House of Blues with Derek Trucks...We were at the edge of the stage...

Honorable mention, Van Halen 3 (Gary Cherone) debut in L.A. the night after Satriani at the Billboard Live on Sunset strip...Also at the front of the stage....

Back