Soundport Acoustic Guitar

Johnhamdun

I am thinking strongly about "installing" a soundport in a blueridge BR-63 I just bought today. I was thinking about binding the exposed wood with something like curly koa from StewMac. My question is, do any of you know anything about cutting into a laminate? The back and sides are Brazillian Rosewood Laminate on top of Mahogany.  Also, how difficult is the task of attaching binding? Can you sand down binding to round it?

I know this is about acoustics but I figured yall know enough about electrics that it might spill over into acoustics haha. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks
Duncan

Soundports: http://www.mcknightguitars.com/soundports.html

Cut very carefully.......that's all I can suggest....

But seriously, if you'e just doing a round hole a hole saw would work on a cordless drill. Just drill slowly......

I wouldn't do this, myself.  I can't imagine it will do anything positive for the looks or sound of your guitar, though it will let you hear a bit more of the guitar when you're playing.  This might be a better project for a less-expensive used instrument, or an acoustic guitar kit.  This kind of thing is very hard to execute well as a retrofit - it's much better to build it into the instument the first time.

Having said that, cutting into laminated (aka fancy plywood) sides is actually a better idea than doing it on a solid wood guitar, since the cross-grain lamination will help keep the side from splitting.  Binding on the edge of an acoustic guitar is glued on to a ledge routed into the kerfing strips, so there's a lot more surface area for it to stick to than the thin edge of a hole in the side - getting traditional binding to stick in this application would be a real challenge..  Also, it'd be nearly impossible to bend a piece of flame maple into a radius that small.  You might wind up with a better result by lining the port with a piece of black PVC pipe sized to fit the hole.  You could bandsaw a slice to match the curve of the side, glue it in place, and scrape the front and back level with the sides with a razor blade.

I recommend Bob Benedetto's book on building an Archtop for tips and tricks about binding.  Besides the fact that the guy does some stellar work, just about every corner on an Archtop is bound.  There are several jigs that attach to dremels or that are designed to cut binding channels out there, but get the proper ones.  I have to admit, I think it is really cool, but it scares the tar out of me to think about doing it myself.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
I recommend Bob Benedetto's book on building an Archtop for tips and tricks about binding.  Besides the fact that the guy does some stellar work, just about every corner on an Archtop is bound.  There are several jigs that attach to dremels or that are designed to cut binding channels out there, but get the proper ones.  I have to admit, I think it is really cool, but it scares the tar out of me to think about doing it myself.
Patrick

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm with you on it being terrifying, which is why I am going to do it on my cheaper acoustic, but its supposed to have an awesome effect. I found some forums and the guy that builds the ones from the links (Tim McKnight) has instructions on how to do it that involves exactly what youre talking about - a Dremel with a Router Base from StewMac.

I wont be attempting this until Christmas time, but I'll post pictures when I do.

Soloshchenko said:
Slightly off topic but aren't Blue Ridge acoustics wonderful instruments?

YES! I was BLOWN away. Mine is China-made but you wouldn't know it. I was able to push the price down to $400 dollars and it gives my Avalon a definite run for its money despite being (literally) 1/12th as expensive. I tried a lot of other guitars in its range because I wanted a "beater" guitar that I wouldn't be afraid to knock around a little bit, but I had given up because they all sounded so "dinky" and pathetic. The Blue Ridge is resonant, it is rich, it is just wonderfully toneful and for its tiny size it has incredible projection. Again, I was really leveled by this guitar. They will definitely have my business in the future and I recommend that anyone here check them out next time you're in the market.

On a side note, weird to anyone else that a company called "Blue Ridge" is based in San Francisco?

Pictures:
2753251631_5d760e85dd.jpg
2753251441_bed0bbe80c.jpg

Blue Ridge you say?

I just got back from the Blue Ridge Mountains yesterday.

Coming back with me was a potentially $450 ruby that I may sell to get some money for a new computer, and a great picture for use on forums...

bump.jpg

The mountains were amazing, by the way.

And back to the topic...

Max said:
Blue Ridge you say?

Were you in Virginia? I went to Blue Ridge School in Charlottesville and you're right, they really are gorgeous.

Johnhamdun said:
Max said:
Blue Ridge you say?

Were you in Virginia? I went to Blue Ridge School in Charlottesville and you're right, they really are gorgeous.
I passed thru Virginia the other day on my way back from visiting my wifes son in PA...

Back