My first Warmoth project...have questions

rauchman

Greetings,

I'm putting together a Warmoth based Tele using a Roasted Maple neck and Swamp Ash body.  The neck came yesterday and the body is supposed to arrive today.  I'm gathering a list of supplies, have been reading a bunch of threads on this forum, watching YouTube vids, etc., and I have some questions if you don't mind.

The neck - As mentioned, the neck is Roasted Maple, and it has a Wolfgang profile (I'm really digging this, I also have a Gibson Midtown, which features Gibson's asymmetrical neck, and the Wolfgang is very similar....luv it), with SS6115 frets (really digging this too!), a TUSQ XL nut and drilled for Gotoh/Grover tuners.  Of course, I was fondling the neck for a bit last night.  I've never really played a Tele much and, not that I'll ever be playing behind the nut, but the ergonomics of the Tele head stock are really comfortable.  It's like it was designed to ergonomically grab behind the nut.
Questions....
Tuning pegs - Will Fender locking tuners work for the Gotoh/Grover dimensions?
Finishing -
- I've read a few threads on using True Oil for the backside/headstock of the neck.  Being that the entire neck is the same piece of maple, can the fretboard also be finished using Tung Oil, or other?
- Can the fretboard be dyed?
- I'm thinking of recontouring the heel on the body to something more modern.  Aside from drilling a new pilot hole for a screw, any other things to watch out for?  An issues with reshaping the neck contours by the heel to match the new profile heel on the body?

The body - As mentioned, the body is Swamp Ash with all the contour cuts.  Even though it has the contoured heel, I'm hot on the idea of reshaping the heel to something more modern and without the corner on the bottom outer screw.  Final finish is planned to be True Oil, but have some questions....
Inlay -
- Thinking about doing some kind of inlay pattern on the body.  Is the correct sequence, route for inlay shape, then apply any stains/dye's, filler, inlay then True Oil, or some other sequence?
- Any issue with using purfing as inlay?
Natural Wood Binding - Another possibility.  I can't find it, but I've seen recommendations on "pro" grade masking tape to use for borders and what.  Can anyone provide some recommendations on the tape?
Changing neck pickup route - The body came with a Tele neck route.  I had called to have the route changed, but the body had already shipped.  Thinking about attempting to route the neck for a humbucker.  StewMac has the routing templates.  Can this be done using a Dremel as the router?

Edited to add....

Filler - Was originally going to use Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Clear Sealer and Filler.  Is something like Crystalac, Aquacoat or Old Masters a better choice?

Very much appreciate the help.  I'm excited to sink my teeth into this project and make this guitar "mine".

The two step holes would need to be adjusted so I doubt the Fender tuners would fit easily. Gotoh/Grovers would of course.

Roasted maple does not require a finish, but if you are going to use tru-oil yes you can do the fretboard with that also.

Recontouring if it is a modern construction be careful.

Dremel might struggle a little for routing.

The rest of the questions on inlaying dying, filling and sequence there are too many variables and choices given to give an easy answer. Same for grain filler, dependent on the rest.

One piece of advice would be to keep it simpler rather than trying too much and the result may be falling short.

stratamania said:

The two step holes would need to be adjusted so I doubt the Fender tuners would fit easily. Gotoh/Grovers would of course.

Roasted maple does not require a finish, but if you are going to use tru-oil yes you can do the fretboard with that also.

Recontouring if it is a modern construction be careful.

Dremel might struggle a little for routing.

The rest of the questions on inlaying dying, filling and sequence there are too many variables and choices given to give an easy answer. Same for grain filler, dependent on the rest.

One piece of advice would be to keep it simpler rather than trying too much and the result may be falling short.

Very much appreciate the info.

Yes, I'm contemplating a lot for this venture, but will probably go for something a bit simpler.  I received the body yesterday.  I spent a good hour just looking at it, imagining the possibilities.  I got "the look" from the wife yesterday, which translates into something like "ahhh, there he goes again, obsessing".

I think I'm nixing the inlay idea for this one, but still would love any tips on that process....for the next one.  Watched some interesting vid's last night of lightly burning the wood, scraping off the carbon, staining and colored filler.  Interesting idea, not necessarily for me, but interesting.

My biggest quandry right now are the pickups.  Really tossed between a single soil sized split humbucker (SD Rails, Dimarzio Area T / Chopper T, Bill Lawrence Twin Blades) or some flavor of noiseless single coil.

Again, appreciate the help!

I've been thinking about the BL twin blades myself. Bill did some things very right.

A thing to consider on the SD rails. I used a pair of P-Rails in one build and they are really fine pickups with some cool switching options.

Rgand said:
I've been thinking about the BL twin blades myself. Bill did some things very right.

A thing to consider on the SD rails. I used a pair of P-Rails in one build and they are really fine pickups with some cool switching options.

Thanks for that info.  I'm not familiar with P-Rails.  Is that SD.  I've used their Hot, Cool and Vintage Rails.

rauchman said:
Rgand said:

Thanks for that info.  I'm not familiar with P-Rails.  Is that SD.  I've used their Hot, Cool and Vintage Rails.
Yes, they are SD. They're a P-90/rail together. Here they are.

iA6a7fL.png

Rgand said:
rauchman said:
Rgand said:

iA6a7fL.png

Thank you.  They look very interesting.  I'm not familiar with the P90 sound, but again.....interesting

rauchman said:
Rgand said:
rauchman said:
Rgand said:

iA6a7fL.png

Thank you.  They look very interesting.  I'm not familiar with the P90 sound, but again.....interesting
This is one demo of the P-Rails I found on Youtube that gives a bit of an idea of how they can sound. There are other demos if you want to seek them out.

Back