Soundbrenner Pulse

wildbill

My rhythm is terrible (luckily I can't get pregnant) so a metronome is very essential. I hate them, they are distracting and annoying.  Since I am a tech junkie, I bought a http://www.soundbrenner.com/  Soundbrenner Pulse that you wear on your wrist or other body parts  :tard:, it comes with a watchband and long strap. Has an app for Android and Iphone, works with most DAW (haven't tried that yet) and vibrates a pulse at your preset beat. Got it today, so far, pretty cool.

Good for you! And don't beat yourself up - bad timing is as common as bad breath. In fact, kudos to you for recognizing that you might be off here and there and doing something proactive about it. Far too many players think they alone were singled out and blessed with innate cesium decay-based timing accuracy while the rest of the world ticks along based on some erratic, unreliable muscle twitch if they bother to regulate themselves at all, when in reality they're just as guilty of playing at some other point on the space/time continuum.

I saw those things back several months ago and wanted one - still do for the same reasons you cite about aggravating ticks and das blinkenlites. But, as cool and functional as they are, at $100, it's going to have to wait.

As an aside, my dad used to say the reason all us kids played some instrument is because we were all rhythm babies  :laughing7:

My rhythm is terrible (luckily I can't get pregnant
Sorry to hear you can't get pregnant neither could I but my wife could so that is how I dealt with the metronome thing. My wife gave birth to two sons, both of which grew up to be drummers. That is the way to do it.  :headbang4:

If you make a mistake does the Pulse also send an electric shock...... ?  :icon_jokercolor:

Hehe! Yeah, that's what we need. Vindictive practice aids. Make a mistake? Get a shock! That'll learn ya, ya little birdbrain! Get collars for the rest of the band as well and band practice would look like the epileptic ward at Danvers Lunatic Asylum  :laughing7:

Re-Pete said:
If you make a mistake does the Pulse also send an electric shock...... ?  :icon_jokercolor:

I could wire it to a stungun, bet I don't make that mistake again....

Cagey said:
Hehe! Yeah, that's what we need. Vindictive practice aids. Make a mistake? Get a shock! That'll learn ya, ya little birdbrain! Get collars for the rest of the band as well and band practice would look like the epileptic ward at Danvers Lunatic Asylum  :laughing7:

Sounds like my piano teacher when I was little.

Cagey said:
Good for you! And don't beat yourself up - bad timing is as common as bad breath. In fact, kudos to you for recognizing that you might be off here and there and doing something proactive about it. Far too many players think they alone were singled out and blessed with innate cesium decay-based timing accuracy while the rest of the world ticks along based on some erratic, unreliable muscle twitch if they bother to regulate themselves at all, when in reality they're just as guilty of playing at some other point on the space/time continuum.

I saw those things back several months ago and wanted one - still do for the same reasons you cite about aggravating ticks and das blinkenlites. But, as cool and functional as they are, at $100, it's going to have to wait.

As an aside, my dad used to say the reason all us kids played some instrument is because we were all rhythm babies  :laughing7:

Kudos to you Mr. Cagey, I'll admit my first reaction was not so...fatherly.
But I can offer you this little tidbit for resisting the dark side.

Some folks I play with (some seniors, retired) think they are "above" or "too good for" using a metronome, or that a metronome is to be used during a players infancy when learning how to play an instrument. But would you ever get into a car, or a boat or on a plane built by someone who didn't use science to construct the vessel? More specifically, by someone who did not use a tape measure, or yard stick to measure twice (let alone once) before cutting/aligning. No! You would not. And even the greatest craftsmen in the world, DaVinci, Michelangelo, Hephaestus, Flint Fireforge, Theros Ironfeld etc. would still use a metronome to measure their lengths properly before cutting.

*tape measure* whoops! my bad, I knew I should have measured twice  :doh:

I'm a firm believer in metronomes, as well as any measuring device, and I include clocks on the list. In fact, clocks that aren't right are a pet peeve of mine, although you don't see those as much as you used to. Still, makes me crazy to see a clock that isn't right. Second wife used to drive me nuts setting various clocks around the house to "custom" times that only made sense to her. Bedroom clock at one time, bathroom clock at another, kitchen clock at another, and not a one of them right. You had to know her system to know what time it really was. So, I divorced her.

Back