Sonc Blue strat build #1! - Update: FINISHED! NEW PICS!

boredstate

**************SEE PAGE 4 FOR COMPLETED PICS!!!!!**************

my first warmoth project.  it was a christmas present from the wife..  she knows i am a huge weezer fan and i was always talking about building a cuomo-inspired strat..

swamp ash body:
DSC_8419.jpg

DSC_8415.jpg

flamed maple/ziricote fingerboard, standard thin, 1-11/16", 6150 frets
DSC_8426.jpg

DSC_8428.jpg

I am waiting a new bridge to get everything together.. so far, i've finished the neck, put the string ferrules in the back, and wired up the pickguard.. the suspense is killing me!

Max said:
Both nice pieces. I like that light flame on the neck.

i do, too! when she said it was flamed maple, i was actually hoping it wasn't a heavy figure..  turned out great!

Yeah, welcome.
Maybe some tru or tung oil will make that neck look perfect with that body. Something that ambers it up a touch.

And the fretboard is amazing.

thanks dudes!  always lurked but never had a (good) reason to post until now

already rolled the fingerboard edges, tru-oiled & waxed the neck up, & lemon oiled the fretboard!  ambered up the neck a touch & darkened up the fretboard.. the grain is poppin!  is it just me or does the board look more like a pau ferro grain?  most ziricote i've seen had distinct contrasting grain, but maybe it's just the way it was cut....

the pickguard is loaded & wired & ready for action!  waiting on this stupid bridge to get here to get the pickguard lined up & mounted.  stupid me didn't check the string spacing and ordered one that is too narrow (also for sale in the classified section!!!)  

got the ferrules in place, drilling the pin holes for the tuners & strap button holes tonight and getting those mounted up. after i get all the hardware in place it's going to my tech for neck attachment, nut install & final setup!

As impressed as we are with the guitar, hat's off to the cool wife who picked out the parts,

back2thefutre said:
you hit a homerun on that one dude :headbang: I never understood why people put locking tuners on hardtails, but whatever floats your boat.

thanks!  it's a convenience/already-had-them-lying-around thing on the tuners

boredstate said:
already rolled the fingerboard edges, tru-oiled & waxed the neck up, & lemon oiled the fretboard!  ambered up the neck a touch & darkened up the fretboard.. the grain is poppin!  

Was it the lemon oil that darkened the fretboard or did you do something else?

back2thefutre said:
you hit a homerun on that one dude :headbang: I never understood why people put locking tuners on hardtails, but whatever floats your boat.

I'll never understand why some people can't understand the beauty of locking tuners in any application.  And your "whatever floats your boat" statement is Is childish

Back