somthing not right...pick ups

dmraco

Master Member
I have installed a Dimarzio Super.  this is their super distortion with "chopped treble."  It is in a mahogany bodied LP.  however when playing it sounds like my amp is a tin can...SOOO BRIGHT!  This is supposed to be a rocker...not a twanger.  since I am new at wiring...where should I start.  I used 500K pods.  I am thinking maybe switch to 250K because it does shound better when turning down the tone, but I loose some of the bite.

thanks

What wiring diagram did you use? I think you got some wires wrong...

I did this the first time I used dimarzio pickups... I followed the Duncan wiring diagram but didn't realize that the two manufactures have different wire coding...

it was out of phase...I already fixed that...I sed a duncan diagram for dimarzio pUs  Still tinny...

Sure you have the right wires in the right places? Remember that Duncan's wires are different colors from Dimarzio's...

If that's not the problem maybe a faulty pickup or pot?

it is like that with both neck and bridge PUs.  I will tripple check the wires...then swap out the pod.

The first time I wired my first Warmoth, I had the hot and ground reversed on the output jack.  Sounded like it was at the end of a tunnel.

guitlouie said:
The first time I wired my first Warmoth, I had the hot and ground reversed on the output jack.  Sounded like it was at the end of a tunnel.

did that too.  I had a tech at Sam Ash look at it.  He thinks its the pod too.  Question...Volume seems OK.  DO I need to swap all pods or just the tone?

Hmmm I dunno - I'm not sure that any pot will have that a dramatic affect on frequency response.

Did ya give it a try yet?

It could be the tone pot but equally it could be the tone capacitor, if both of these are at a certain ratio the tone control would become a high pass filter so it would only let the bright treble tones through and all the bass stuff would be blocked.

Definately sounds like the pickup is accidentally tapped.  (only 1 coil working).

Oh...woops...I'm not allowed to give out advice or opinions on here...because I run a repair business...my bad. :(

In any case...could you post a picture of your wiring?

StockwellGuitars said:
Definately sounds like the pickup is accidentally tapped.  (only 1 coil working).

Oh...woops...I'm not allowed to give out advice or opinions on here...because I run a repair business...my bad. :(

In any case...could you post a picture of your wiring?
Settle down, no need to take offense from people you don't know.

i will post a photo.  I used a .022 capacitor...that is what dimarzio recomended.

Back