Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't...

Great video, but the whole locking nut radius complexity is still somewhat mindblowing. So, all the OFR nuts have a 10” radius, but the FR 1000 R3 nut is 12”. And then Schaller (who manufactures the OFR’s) sells R2 and R3 nuts with the following radiuses: 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16”!

If you did come up with such a joke you'd BEE BUMBLin' into it.

Arent' Bumblebee capacitiors paper in oil?

Great video, but the whole locking nut radius complexity is still somewhat mindblowing. So, all the OFR nuts have a 10” radius, but the FR 1000 R3 nut is 12”. And then Schaller (who manufactures the OFR’s) sells R2 and R3 nuts with the following radiuses: 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16”!

Ya, it's confusing.

I'm not so sure about the FR 1000 R3 being 12". I know that FR themselves have published that in various places, but in others I've seen 10".

So....ya.....it's confusing.

So, all the OFR nuts have a 10” radius, but the FR 1000 R3 nut is 12”.

FR1000 products are not part of the original series made in Germany, but rather they are made in Korea. The original R3 is 10"
RAnd then Schaller (who manufactures the OFR’s) sells R2 and R3 nuts with the following radiuses: 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16”!
That is a relatively recent thing which probably accounts for the radius on new FR nuts made by Schaller being marked on the nut, see link below.

Ya, it's confusing.

I'm not so sure about the FR 1000 R3 being 12". I know that FR themselves have published that in various places, but in others I've seen 10".

So....ya.....it's confusing.
For the sake of science 😜 I have actually purchased 3 locking nuts (R3 size) for my upcoming guitar
  • OFR 10”
  • FR 1000 12”
  • Schaller 12”
and I’ll let my guitar luthier try them all on the guitar neck and tell me if there is any difference.

The FR1000 R3 seems slightly taller when I tried to measure it, but I don’t have the means to say for sure. The package says it is 12” and the Floyd Rose web site claims that too
https://www.floydrose.com/products/1000-series-special-locking-nut-2?variant=31372832964717

I personally insist on a clean input jack.
Which gives rise to the usual debate about whether it's an INPUT jack or an OUTPUT jack, with concomitant potential for crass innuendoes.

Not that I would ever engage in that sort of behavior.

Inlays..................................on and on it goes, what a sexy instrument

Back