Someone, please, make Jerry proud with this one!

NeilStryker

I'm drooling.  Only $549!  there are actually 3 Pau Ferro top on mahogany Garcias all for that price.  So nice.

rep_edvard_munch_the_scream_oil_painting_art_prints.jpg

You'll need to spend about $2-3K minimum for custom inlay work to "make Jerry proud", might be hard as it already has a poly finish on it....

That is a gorgeous body.  However, my vile hatred of all things Dead, would pretty much keep me from ever wanting anything to do with a WGD body style.  They really seem to be made specifically for a niche that I will never be a part of. 

guitlouie said:
my vile hatred of all things Dead, would pretty much keep me from ever wanting anything to do with a WGD body style.  They really seem to be made specifically for a niche that I will never be a part of. 

Yes! I couldn't agree more.

Deadheads...

We Are Everywhere!

That is a beautiful body but if you really want to make Jerry proud just practice you scales and play from your heart. Besides, Jerry played all his best stuff an Strats (I prefer the Alder strat with a roswood fretboard over the '57 "Alligator" which I believe was Swamp Ash with a Maple on Maple neck), Les Pauls, and the immortal "Wolf" by Doug Irwin (which would make a great WGD-2 body shape Warmoth Folks).

Oh yeah, whoever gets that be sure to include Jerry's design for an onboard effects loop.

"Once in a while you get show the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

guitlouie said:
That is a gorgeous body.  However, my vile hatred of all things Dead, would pretty much keep me from ever wanting anything to do with a WGD body style.  They really seem to be made specifically for a niche that I will never be a part of. 

You already admitted to being a "passionate patriotic right wing conservative nut."  We finished beating down Shrillery and nominated the O-man today; you have already been targeted for rendition to one of the virulent wards of the camps we will be setting up in the desert Southwest we will be resettling your kind to after we seize control in November. Reply with a suitable misogynistic response and you could wind up with Ted Nugent as a roomie; but be careful what you wish for, after a few weeks of an enforced brown rice and alfalfa sprout diet he might skin and eat you with his bare hands....

You already admitted to being a "passionate patriotic right wing conservative nut." 

OK, you have definitely got me confused with someone else.  The right wing neoconservatives are the absolute bane of my existence, in that all that they claim to be in favor of, smaller government, personal freedoms, they then contradict by shoving their religion down your throat.  And while I have spent the last eighteen years of my life as a non meat eater, I ain't no hippie.  The Dead may have been the pied pipers of the unwashed, but if it is late sixties San Fran psych you are talking about, I'll take the Charlatans and The Airplane, The Quicksilver and the Grape over them any day.  That is not to mention the Flaming Groovies, who were just a little late to the party. 

guitlouie said:
You already admitted to being a "passionate patriotic right wing conservative nut." 

OK, you have definitely got me confused with someone else.  The right wing neoconservatives are the absolute bane of my existence, in that all that they claim to be in favor of, smaller government, personal freedoms, they then contradict by shoving their religion down your throat.  And while I have spent the last eighteen years of my life as a non meat eater, I ain't no hippie.  The Dead may have been the pied pipers of the unwashed, but if it is late sixties San Fran psych you are talking about, I'll take the Charlatans and The Airplane, The Quicksilver and the Grape over them any day.  That is not to mention the Flaming Groovies, who were just a little late to the party. 

My bad; that was Alfang; but speaking of the Charlatans/Flaming Groovies; what ever happened to Mike Wilhelm? He was an old bud of mine from when I was kid out in SF in the 70's,  last I could get a hold of him was in the late 80s,  said he was working some deal to resurrect Flaming Groovies, and then poof vanished from the face of the Earth. If anyone knows how to get a hold of him, my email's in my profile here.

I know that you could google him just as well as I could, buuuuttt, as the Flaming Groovies are one of my absolute favorite bands (up there with The Chocolate Watch Band, The Thirteenth Floor Elevators, and Moving Sidewalks) I just happen to have this close at hand:

http://www.flyingsnail.com/Scrapbook/Mike_Wilhelm.html

He is apparently still active.

Quicksilver Messenger Service!!!
The Charlatans!!!
Jefferson F!@#$%G Airplane!!!

It good to know I'm not the only one still listening to these guys. Let me throw out some props for The Sons of Champlain and It's A Beautiful Day while we're at it.

-Never Trust a Prankster :icon_jokercolor:

The Dead rule... American Beauty is one of three albums I heard my dad play most often when I was a kid, so it makes me feel happy just hearing it start.  :)  (The other two are Graceland and Clapton's Unplugged

dbw said:
The Dead rule... American Beauty is one of three albums I heard my dad play most often when I was a kid, so it makes me feel happy just hearing it start. 
Yeah, ever since I first heard American Beauty I have been a devotee...  the pity is I only got to see Jerry with the Dead one time before he died.  I find it odd that there can be so much hostile opposition to a band that to me symbolizes only good things... freedom, indivuality, questioning the norms of society and reality, and just being yourself and having fun living life and not hurting people, and peace and love and music.  Although, admittedly not all deadheads exemplify these tenents, I don't hold the band responsible for their followers.  I think overall the impact of the Dead rivals that of most other bands.  And even though Jerry didn't use this body style till later on, it is so unique to him that the body shape alone being offered attests to his impact as a guitarist.  I'm not one to build "artist copies", but I think this body is so beautiful and unique that Jerry would be proud to see it made into something amazing.
So that being said...  I picked it up myself...    :cool01: 

I saw 'em four or five times, I guess? It was David Crosby who said that on any given night the Grateful Dead could be the best band in the world, or the worst band in the world - gee, I wonder if it had anything to do with substance ingestion, and which member had ingested what when?... seems like Crosby might know a thing or two about that.  :toothy12: To hear the peak of the peak, you have to buy "Dick's Picks volume 10", from their 1977 year-ending run at Winterland. The band was just closing down a six-month tour, and they were on fire - it's nothing like any of their movie appearances or studio dreck, they never could play good when they thought someone was watching..... :eek:

When I try to make a list of the best 25 guitar solos ever I have to leave that 3-CD set out of the loop cause Garcia was uniformly transcendent. Sometime in the next year, he began smoking China White heroin and that's all she wrote, as far I'm concerned. I did see what I thought was a great concert July 4th, 1981 in Austin, but I'd had a few substances meself, believe it or not. I had to go stop seeing them when they became their own mediocre cover band, and the kids began trying to hallucinate on Budweiser.... it takes a lot.... :help:

That sugarmegs.org site was streaming all the old Dead shows for free on the net, but they're down right now. Hopefully they'll be back, cause they had about ten Mahavishnu Orchestra shows and a bunch of killer jazz shows too.

Stubhead said: To hear the peak of the peak, you have to buy "Dick's Picks volume 10", from their 1977 year-ending run at Winterland. The band was just closing down a six-month tour, and they were on fire - it's nothing like any of their movie appearances or studio dreck, they never could play good when they thought someone was watching.....

The Grateful Dead had a 30 year career with many distinctive eras. Debates amongst deadheads about which is the best are fierce and frequent. Often times people don't think that they like the Grateful Dead because all that they have heard are samples that don't conform to their personal tastes. I'm a huge fan of the earlier periods (1965-the mid seventies) because I feel that the band was tighter and much more musically inspired during that time. My uncle finds that stuff a little too heavy for his tastes and prefers the late seventies through 1995 because that was the period when he caught several hundred shows though I find most of that era to be bloated, junked out and uninspired. Different strokes for different folks.

The bands studio output is in almost cases disappointing compared to what the boys could do live but there are some gems. "Working Mans Dead" and "American Beauty" (1970) are essentially a double album since they were both recorded at the same time and represent the bands most cohesive, accessible, classic song oriented material. "Blues for Allah" (1977) is another favorite of mine and is probably the best studio showcase for the bands jazzy instrumental virtuosity. For those into sonic experimentation "Anthem of the Sun" (1968) is a chaotic masterpiece that was way ahead of it's time in terms of studio emperimentation and sonic collage. All of these albums are now available in great remastered editions with additional bonus tracks of live performance and studio out-takes. As far as live performances go...

There are almost 100 official live releases from the Dead that cover their entire career. I'll try and break down the eras as best I can with my recommendations in another post.

-"Sometimes we live no particular way but are own"

For those who love the Dead, that is great.  I've heard their recorded stuff, and never cared much for it.  I saw them live once, and didn't care for that, either.  That said, perhaps I missed something. 

However, I do kind of dig on the WGD body style.  It is different, and kind of cool. 

Well, The Dead is to me an yes/no situation. Either they hit you, or they
don't, and no amount of arguing on either side is going to change anyones
mind. Which is okay. I remember exactly the day and place it "hit me", and
yes, an altered state of mind was part of the equation. I'm not one of
those people who thinks folks are idiots because they don't like the same
music or flavor of ice cream that I like. What DOES irk me is when people
mouth off about Garcia's guitar playing. Hate The Dead all you want, but
don't tell me the man could not play his ass off.

For the record, Garcia didn't play lead. He played counterpoint. Phil Lesh
played lead. Which may explain why so many guitarists despise The Dead.
Why, the NERVE of a lowly bass player leading a band! As if.

And if you haven't heard the "China Cat Sunflower" into "I Know You Rider"
combo on Europe 72, you really, really should. It is sublime, and a perfect
example of how six people playing blazing solos all at the same time can
create something much larger than the sum of its parts

stubhead said:
That sugarmegs.org site was streaming all the old Dead shows for free on the net, but they're down right now. Hopefully they'll be back, cause they had about ten Mahavishnu Orchestra shows and a bunch of killer jazz shows too.

Although I only got to see them once at the Boston Garden, I got it.  Jerry's noodling can truely be a thing of beauty. 

Good friend of mine is an avid collector of Dead bootlegs, he's got almost everything available.....seriously! 
Some good streams here:  http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3AGratefulDead%20%2Fmetadata%2Fstream_only%3A(1)&sort=-avg_rating%3B-num_reviews

Back