Soloist w/ P90s

Phrygian

I think this would be a cool build.  Too bad I'm broke.

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=SL127&menuItem=8&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&binding_filter=4

SL127c.jpg

Yes. Especially when you consider that if a person was not into 'real' P-90s, mini-humbuckers in rings fit, as do Dimarzio's P-90-size humbuckers. So it's still a very versatile build in terms of potential sounds. But I think cream P-90s would look the best!!!

I've been salivating over a build with P90s myself (although, I was envisioning a Tele).  Cream P90s on this would look good with a darker finish.  I was actually thinking trans red, black P90s, and chrome hardware... a cream bound mahogany/ebony neck, maybe a Warhead headstock.

P90 are cool, with the right amp they have a nice crunch, but I like this better.....4 single coil EMG's set up like hums..... :toothy10:

DangerousR6 said:
P90 are cool, with the right amp they have a nice crunch, but I like this better.....4 single coil EMG's set up like hums..... :toothy10:

I pretty much have that setup already with passive pickups, plus a middle pickup.  Lace duallies. :)

Phrygian said:
DangerousR6 said:

I pretty much have that setup already with passive pickups, plus a middle pickup.  Lace duallies. :)
How you like the dually's? How they sound? maybe the way to go with my "ultimate tele" instead of 5 EMG's.....
2397962684_b4280f0c33.jpg

Its funny, while contemplating my build I thought about doing this very thing and using EMG P81 and P60 pickups and a day or so ago I saw it on the Warmoth front page.

Looks even better than I thought it would :headbang:

DangerousR6 said:
Check this out the Lace Alumitone......kinda kewl looking.....
452287.jpg

I remember reading about them, the consensus was that they sounded great clean.  The duallies that I have are Hot Golds, and they are super hot when the coils are wired in series like a humbucker, especially the bridge dually.  Lace has the specs listed incorrectly. As humbuckers, the neck is actually 12k and the bridge is 26.4k.

Phrygian said:
DangerousR6 said:
Check this out the Lace Alumitone......kinda kewl looking.....
452287.jpg

I remember reading about them, the consensus was that they sounded great clean.  The duallies that I have are Hot Golds, and they are super hot when the coils are wired in series like a humbucker, especially the bridge dually.  Lace has the specs listed incorrectly. As humbuckers, the neck is actually 12k and the bridge is 26.4k.
cool, may have to go with lace instead of emg's...... :headbang1:

I quite fancy this body and noticed it's still in the showcase. How about a gold top on a soloist with cream P90s?  :icon_scratch:

I LOVE the look of those alumitones, very art deco, but I'm pretty sure I heard they sound kinda lame.  Anyone actually heard them?

Phrygian said:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=SL127&menuItem=8&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&binding_filter=4

SL127c.jpg

You bastard! Now I'm drooling over that body and trying to justify another P90 guitar in my arsenal! I have 5 guitars with P90s but not like this! Damn you! Ya had to go and show me this!

Transparent red/mahogany finish with cream P90s, gold hardware and a mahogany neck with the same red finish.  :icon_thumright: :headbang1:

djf67 said:
... How about a gold top on a soloist with cream P90s?  :icon_scratch:

Classic and great idea, just keep the back natural... :icon_smile:

Telenator said:
Phrygian said:

You bastard! Now I'm drooling over that body and trying to justify another P90 guitar in my arsenal! I have 5 guitars with P90s but not like this! Damn you! Ya had to go and show me this!

Transparent red/mahogany finish with cream P90s, gold hardware and a mahogany neck with the same red finish.  :icon_thumright: :headbang1:
Sounds like a plan!  :guitaristgif:

P90's are absolutely dreamy! LOL!

They're not good for hi-gain players because they're single coils but man, you get 'em rippin through a good amp with a civil amount of overdrive, and there's nothing like it!

Back in the 70's Mountain recorded and album called "Climbing!"

Just listen to "Theme For an Imaginery Western" and you'll hear that P90 goodness.

Ahh yes, the oh so sexy tone of  "Mississippi Queen".  :icon_thumright:

I seem to remember someone here saying that the solo in Freebird was done with P-90's as well

Back