Soldering AAARRRGHGHGH!!

NOW I understand what y'all are talking about; previously had ordered CTS pots from guitarelectronics.com or bought the 250Ks sold for $5 bucks @ GuitarCenter as Fender replacement pots; those have a solid metal back that's more a natural matte metal finish than the ones I just got from Warmoth with the holes in the metal back and what appears to be a laquer finish on top of shiny metal.

This is about the third thread on this subject and I thought everyone was crazy or stoners that forgot to plug the iron/gun in....

To get a quick solder joint on these you need to pull out your trusty dremel with a rough stone and buzz off the top finish/metal, photo below was hard to discern so I painted in red. You could use a file or sandpaper, but it took several passes with the dremel set @ 6000rpms to do the job... A dremel is very handy to have around if you're going to be working on guitars, you can find Chinese knockoffs at most discount tool stores for around $30.

CTSpot.jpg

The Black and Decker one at Home Depot is $30, has better bearings than the Dremel, takes all Dremel accessories and... was built on molds burnt by my friend Kenny!  Its a good tool!

Hey CB Those are some lovely LPs. What do u think of the P90 in the neck position?

I think enough of the P90 in the neck position, that I'm building two more guitars just like it - except teles.

That is, the LP BFG is hollow (yup!) and so I'm doing up two Tele Thinlines - one for Vic one for moi.

Both will Burstbucker bridge pickups and P90 at the neck.  Both will have series, normal, and semi-out-of-phase switching, with LP style toggle.  Both will have volume, middle, and treble controls. 

Its a great tone, and you get 5 very very useful flavors from it with the switching. 

Sounds great, make sure u upload them once uve finished. and tell us how they sound.

I'm having a HB size P-90 in my SG build. I love P-90's in the neck position, awesome lead tone.

Ted, I've tried the P94, the Phat Cat and the P90. 

You have to realize that there is no "p90" sound, as much as there is no true PAF sound.  The pickups have been very variable over the years.  I fellow I know (Voxman) has a nice collection of older P90s and they run all over the place in both DC resistance (from about 8k to about 14k) and in magnet type/strength.  Some are very sweet toned, while others are agressive and uber-raunchy. 

The Phat Cats tend to be sweeter toned, a bit light in output, and very balanced... think of them in terms of a lighter wound P90.  The P94 (Gibson) is very hot, raunchy, screams, thumps, blisters.  Think of it as a hotwind P90 tone.

I love the Phats in my Gibson ES-333 (like a 335, only no appointments).  However, in a solid body, I'd pick the P94 any day.

This is kind of like trying to solder copper pipe with a soldering iron instead of a torch.  I use a butane soldering iron for big soldering jobs, when I want to get the metals as hot as possible to insure good solder flow.

Back