So what kind of music do you play?

Some sort of mix between Metal and Fusion. I try to blend modern Metal riffage with Fusion guitarsolos. The Metal part is something I feel relatively comfortable with but the Fusion part is something more new to me... I TRY...

I guess you could call my style progressive metal. I don't write lyrics but progressive metal is for sure the direction I want to take. I'm really inspired by bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth, Meshuggah, Nevermore, Necrophagist, Scar Symmetry, Iron Maiden, Metallica and guitarist like Allan Holdsworth, Shawn Lane, Brett Garsed, Guthrie Govan, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore. I try to steal as much as I can of them all  :toothy11:

You may go if you wish. But remember this: walk away now and you walk away from your crafts, your skills, your vocations; leaving the next generation with nothing but recycled, digitally-sampled techno-grooves, quasi-synth rhythms, pseudo-songs of violence-laden gangsta-rap, acid pop, and simpering, saccharine, soulless slush. Depart now and you forever separate yourselves from the vital American legacies of Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Jimmy Reed, Memphis Slim, Blind Boy Fuller, Louie Jordon, Little Walter, Big Walter, Sonnyboy Williamson I and II, Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Elvis Presley, Lieber and Stoller, and Robert K. Weiss.  Turn your backs now and you snuff out the fragile candles of Blues, R&B and Soul, and when those flames flicker and expire, the light of the world is extinguished because the music which has moved mankind through seven decades leading to the millennium will whither and die on the vine of abandonment and neglect.

We do blues, rhythm & blues, jazz, funk, soul. We can handle rock, pop, country, heavy metal, fusion, hip hop, rap, Motown, operetta, show tunes. In fact, we've even been called upon, on occasion, to do a polka! However Caribbean is a type of music, I regret to say, which has not been, is simply not, nor will ever be a part of this band's repertoire.

- Elwood Blues

>Caribbean is a type of music, I regret to say, which has not been, is simply not, nor will ever be a part of this band's >repertoire

i got into reggae very late - primarily because initially i was only drawn to 'serious' music.

but now i love marley with the wailers (the older ones especially), tosh, 'the harder they come', burning spear, toots and maytalls ...

There is precious little music that I do not play or appreciate.  I'm huge into Soul, Reggae, Roots Rock, but also Jazz before 1970 and Punk Rock.  Also, chaotic contemporary music like Tom Waits, Mr Bungle, Idiot Flesh etc.  Oh, and I'm a nerd for a lot of orchestral/symphonic music.  Yes, I play as well as appreciate all of the above.

-Mark

I play real music.    :icon_jokercolor:

(...and yes, I actually play instead of talking of playing)  :laughing7:

knucklehead G said:
dNA said:
nobody else has any recordings or anything to share?

Check here: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=10903.0

Speaking of which, when is that album coming out?  I need something to throw on my CD player...

If it's played WELL, I'm probably interested. But I more specifically foray into Redneck Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Rockabilly, R+B - Soul - Shuffles - Blues, World (more typically middle eastern or FAR eastern - a chunk of my heritage is russian), and YES, even country things. When I get carried away I end up doing a lot of BIGRIFF type stuff, but I have grown so damn far from being interested in metal or shred-anything that I could never go back.

mayfly said:
knucklehead G said:
dNA said:

Speaking of which, when is that album coming out?  I need something to throw on my CD player...

I'm listening to it right now. The link to download the completed album is at the top of the first post. Its been out since mid-February. I put it in my sig too.

I'm in two bands. One is a cover band, we do 60ies and 70ies blues, hardrock and some jazz (eg. Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Santana, Blues Brothers, Booker T. and the MG's...) we have a hammond player, so thats kinda perfect.

The second band is fairly new, been there since one year. There's only me and another guy. Our guitar player left us last summer.
We are working on our debut at the moment. The sound is a mixture of Foo Fighters, Motorpsycho and some Sonic Youth, I guess. I hope the CD will be done soon, we are currently working on the mixdown...  :)
After that, we need to find one or two guitar players, so we can play live again. For the album, it wasn't such a big deal as both the drummer and I also play the guitar...

I am not good enough to play the music I listen to  :icon_biggrin: (well, some of them :))
I haven't played in a band for 10 years, but before that I was in metal and rock bands, a funk band and a top 40/covers band... I am open to (almost) anything though.

knucklehead G said:
dNA said:

word. thanks dude. i'm at work now, but i'll check it out when i get home

Play (or played, we'll see) bass in a mainstream pop-rock band. Currently playing Americana type of stuff with a new musical partner. Country blues to gospel to indie stuff, we're still at the jamming stage but it's in the Neil Young / Gram Parsons orbit in some way. Lead guitar, harmony vocals, harmonica. Partner sings and plays guitar and keys. Lap steel on the way.

Cantopop and Cantonese rock. I play songs whose lyrics are an utter mystery to me beyond the odd prepositional phrase.

I lucked into a gig as 2nd live guitarist for Dear Jane, a local band and my good friends.

We taped a TV spot last week (both guitarists playing Warmoths!).

We just played a short set with a local Cantopop singer last Saturday night. I've never played in front of 1,500 people before. I played my new Soloist with the custom paint job.

The best part of the show for me was starting into the band's radio hit from last summer. You know that sound that you hear between songs on Cheap Trick's Live at Budokan? That high pitched screaming? I heard that sound. As a (tangential) recipient, not a spectator.

It was cool.

:headbang: Awful nice of you two to hold the Warmoths on stage so everyone could cheer for them.

Van halen, skid row, Alice in chains, Motley crue, Nuclear assault, Vio-lence, Megadeth, Scorpions, Ratt, Slaughter, Black flag, BLACK SABBATH!, Exciter, Guns n roses, God smack....etc..

16,..and love anything from muddy waters and buddy guy to Death :).

Back