So what kind of music do you play?

dNA

I suppose this might belong in off-topic, but it's about music and in turn guitar playing. Move me if you like!

Anyway, i was just curious what kind of music everyone here is in to. I've only ever been active on one guitar forum before, and that was sevenstring.org and it was a while back. And of course, 98% metalheads there. the discussions about music got a bit monotonous, especially after i wandered farther and farther from metal and eventually sold my sevenstring.

Me: I'm into a broad range of stuff, mostly modern music. My roots were in hard rock, but i gradually got more into alternative, indie, and some experimental stuff. Nowadays i listen to as much hip hop, ambient, electronic, and world music as i do rock. What i play is a fairly eclectic mix of everything, and i'd probably call it "experimental indie rock" if i had to put a label on it.
You can hear samples of my music at www.myspace.com/danmazuz
Most of the stuff that i produce entirely myself is not actually guitar centric, or often has no guitar at all. it's mostly because i don't like the way the lo-fi recording quality of my guitar playing blends w/ that uber clean sound of electronic drums and synths and stuff. But i have years worth of guitar based material that's waiting to be fleshed out with the right band. Having people to talk to about it is also a good motivator to get recording more.

So now tell me about yourselves. and clips are encouraged!

Solo guitar and bass stuff.
I'm not really sure what kind of genre you would call such playing? :icon_scratch:

On guitar I usually play rock stuff from grunge to van halen to tool to cannibal corpse.
otherwise i dabble with drum & bass and dubstep and occasionally house music.

Well I was trained for a while in solo acoustic guitar, some modern stuff and classical as well. I am a lot better with an acoustic than I am with an electric. When I do play electric, occasionally I adapt my acoustic stuff but usually I like simple, 'garage' rock type stuff. Folk and blues sometimes. I just like to play!

EDIT: I am 22.

EDIT EDIT: Also, I play banjo. Yep.

I play mainly all kinds of rock/blues and I also have my Jackson in drop C always loaded for my death metal side :evil4:

i only play honkey music of the strictly whiny angst-ridden college rock pitchfork hipster haterade-spewing-at-the-jocks oh-woe-is-me-its, like, SOCIETY and stuff and it makes me so mad UGH!!! skinny jeans noodle-arms 98-pound weakling variety  :help:

Probably adding your age to this wouldn't hurt either as I think you're going to see a difference in preferences by age group.

Me, I'm 42. Grew up in the 80's so I was weened on lots of 80's hard rock/metal. Van Halen, Metallica, Gun's 'n Roses.....hell, anything 80's. I'll even admit to liking Poison, Cinderella, Bon Jovi etc.... If I'm in a band situation that is the stuff I focus on. Last live show I did was all AC/DC covers.

With that said, in my free time I try to concentrate on blues....because I really like blues music but suck all kinds of ass playing it.
MULLY
my white guitar was my blues project....but I still stuck a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. :party07:

I'm 29.  Growing up I was into 80's Top 40 stuff, so I have a love for synthpop stuff and metal ballads.  After that it was pretty much all hard rock, punk and metal.  My tastes are pretty wide range today, I tend to like some of just about everything, though I still tend to be picky about what I listen to.

When I play though, I gravitate toward acoustic rock, punk and metal stuff.

1. Don't diss Bon Jovi.  :doh:
2. I'm into a lot of different music, mostly classic rock a la Zeppelin and Floyd on up to 90's Bon Jovi (which was a lot more classic sounding than 80's Bon Jovi). I'm also into U2-ish rock on up to Foo Fighters-ish grunge (?). Love to play blues, wish I were in a blues trio, and I'd love to play drums or bass in an alt-Jazz trio. That would be sick.
 'Course I'm in a band that plays Boys Like Girls covers (if you haven't heard of 'em, don't bother googling them) and all sorts of other alt-crap (no offense to anyone who digs that but it's mostly 4 chord alt so I think most warmoth-owners have graduated past that by the time they're willing to spend their life discussing sweet guitars, playing, and gear  :redflag: ) Anyway there's a huge difference between what I like and what I play. There aren't whole lot of musicians over here to chose from.  :help:

I'm 15.

I listen to and attempt to play just about everything; attempt being the key word.  What I play out is primarily Texas Country (Reckless Kelly, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Robert Earl Keen) and some Acoustic Rock (Audioslave, Black Crowes).

I play whatever I'm listening to, which is usually current indie or classic rock.  Right now I'm playing a bunch of She & Him songs because I can sing them pretty easily.  I have a low voice like Zooey Deschanel.  Sometimes there are other things, but it's usually that.  I like to improvise weird gypsy sounding songs too, and blues. 

Back