So, "unofficial warmoth" is looking more like "official" warmoth.

I agree with ValeBliz. There's no problem whatsoever with the "unofficial" part - as Aaron explained very accurately. However, I have also seen some rather random deletions of posts in the past that weren't easily explicable via the forum rules (there used to be a woman on here, remember?). In any case, could it be that the general tone here has gotten a bit rougher in the last few months?

I agree with ValeBliz. There's no problem whatsoever with the "unofficial" part - as Aaron explained very accurately. However, I have also seen some rather random deletions of posts in the past that weren't easily explicable via the forum rules (there used to be a woman on here, remember?). In any case, could it be that the general tone here has gotten a bit rougher in the last few months?

Over the last decade we've had several female members that I can remember. None of them have been banned. :) OTOH, I have had to ban a lot of people over the years for various reasons. It usually starts with a PM to the offender, then warnings, then the ban. Meanwhile other members are PMing me to complain about the issue, and I have to respond to and placate each of them. Trying to be fair while keeping everyone happy hogs up a lot of time.

I can definitely confirm that over the last year I've had to deal more than ever before with slap fights between members, complaints about something being unfair, people subtly pushing boundaries/agendas, posts on contentious topics that have nothing to do with guitars or music, or users being inappropriate in some way. Not sure why. I've also been adequately informed about how much the new website sucks. No need to let me know again.

When one of the aforementioned issues comes up I usually reach out to people via PM's, then delete posts. Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly fatigued I opt for the nuclear option and delete the entire problem, guilty and innocent alike.

From the forum rules:

* Negativity: Don’t be a jerk. Members that habitually post negative comments or foster arguments may be banned from posting without warning.

Over the last decade we've had several women members that I can remember. None of them have been banned. :)

I can confirm that over the last year I've had to deal more than ever before with slap fights between members, complaints about something being unfair, people subtly pushing boundaries/agendas, posts on contentious topics that have nothing to do with guitars or music, or users being inappropriate in some way. Not sure why. We've also been adequately informed about how much the new website sucks.

When one of the aforementioned issues comes up I usually reach out to people via PM's, then delete posts. Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly fatigued I opt for the nuclear option, and delete the entire problem, guilty and innocent alike.

From the forum rules:

* Negativity: Don’t be a jerk. Members that habitually post negative comments or foster arguments may be banned from posting without warning.
tbh, you're right. It's always easy for anyone of us to judge from the outside and I certainly don't wanna be the one who gets dramatic PMs (and be forced to stay neutral). From a very personal standpoint, I have seen some of the posts that were subject to the "slap fights". I can only say it's bewildering to me how people actually took real offence by any of them. But then, story of our generation I suppose :)

All in all, the community in this forum is still the most friendly and hospitable I've seen. So let's be grateful for what we have, talk about guitars and stop hating. There's enough of that out there already...

I've also been adequately informed about how much the new website sucks. No need to let me know again.
Well, to be fair it became somewhat better now, it doesn’t freeze up anymore when you try to put in some search filters in the showcase, it’s just a bit slow.

Well, to be fair it became somewhat better now, it doesn’t freeze up anymore when you try to put in some search filters in the showcase, it’s just a bit slow.

You're right. It has gotten better since we launched just over a year ago, but unfortunately it still has major issues. A mandated shut down and two years of pandemic survival measures right in the middle of development, followed by the great resignation, has not helped our cause. We are working on a replacement that hopefully will be launched by year's end. It will essentially have the same look and feel, but the engine behind it will be optimized for faster performance.

Fingers crossed.

You're right. It has gotten better since we launched just over a year ago, but unfortunately it still has major issues. A mandated shut down and two years of pandemic survival measures right in the middle of development, followed by the great resignation, has not helped our cause. We are working on a replacement that hopefully will be launched by year's end. It will essentially have the same look and feel, but the engine behind it will be optimized for faster performance.

Fingers crossed.
The old site had some great features, IMO, that made it way more user friendly than the new one.

I liked that you could add parts to the virtual body builder. It gave a good idea of what different pickguards and pickups would look like, instead of having to picture it.

The other was the showcase layout, and the separate showcase page.

The options menu on the left allowed an easier and smoother, again IMO, experience in searching for stuff.

For instance, to search for a strat body, you go to the strat body page, then in stock, then filter, then browse. How about if you want to look at the vintage strat bodies? You gotta back out, go to that page, and do it all over again.

The old way, you went to the separate showcase page, and selected your stuff. Different body type? Just check a different box!

I would spend hours just looking through the showcase for ideas or for something special. That's how I got my tele. I didn't want a tele, but fell in love with it an bought it.
The new way has prevented me from all that by being clunky and not as user friendly.
Oh, how I long for the good old days.......

the new one looks slicker though.

Fingers crossed.
wow - that's cool. Looking forward to seeing that one up and running.

I can definitely sympathize with dealing with user complaints. I spent many, many years as an admin for a Star Wars fan group (not just forum admin, but part of the organization leadership group). It wears on a person after a while, especially when it's a volunteer position. It's mind blowing how absolutely childish, entitled, and immature grown-ass adults can be.

In the end, it got so bad that I got burned out on Star Wars itself BECAUSE OF toxic fan behavior.

I see similar behavioral characteristics in other genres. The smoking/barbecuing community is full of it, surprisingly. Lots of knowitalls, lots of walled gardens, and lots of bullying. Their way is best and the only way. If you don't follow their rules, you have no business trying to cook meat.

The fitness community was another, and I'm ashamed to say that for a while several years ago, I got caught up in that behavior. It wasn't until one epiphany that it dawned on me how badly I was treating someone that I realized I'd become one of those toxic people. The kind that SHOULD have been spoken to and possibly banned by forum administration.

Unfortunately, the forum admins were ALSO part of the problem.

I quietly left, closed my account, and have spent every year since then trying to be more mindful of my own behavior and keeping my arrogance in check.

It doesn't matter what the topic is. An Internet forum is going to have a subset of the community that constantly and consistently behave poorly. Proportions may differ, but the population will always exist.

The smoking/barbecuing community is full of it, surprisingly. Lots of knowitalls, lots of walled gardens, and lots of bullying. Their way is best and the only way. If you don't follow their rules, you have no business trying to cook meat.
Is this on the BBQ Brethren site? I was heavily involved in The Smoke Ring forum for a while. Even became an admin before Garry decided to delete the forum. I got him to send me a backup though, but haven't had time to put it back together yet.

Is this on the BBQ Brethren site? I was heavily involved in The Smoke Ring forum for a while. Even became an admin before Garry decided to delete the forum. I got him to send me a backup though, but haven't had time to put it back together yet.
I don't remember any specific community names. I read through a couple and when it started getting into the "well, I've won this-and-that competition so my way is best and my equipment is best and your gear is garbage and your technique is garbage and you should just quit" attitude, I left.

Didn't even make me want to sign up and ask questions. I don't need to be abused when I'm trying to learn.

everybody loves barbq, its the potatoe salad that starts the trouble
Being from NY, I grew up on NY style. Macaroni salad too!

Now that I am a man of the south, I prefer the egg salad/potato salad mix.

You know, I never really had BBQ until I moved? It was not a "thing" up there, up until I left in '05. Who knows now.

I don't remember any specific community names. I read through a couple and when it started getting into the "well, I've won this-and-that competition so my way is best and my equipment is best and your gear is garbage and your technique is garbage and you should just quit" attitude, I left.

Didn't even make me want to sign up and ask questions. I don't need to be abused when I'm trying to learn.
Yup, sounds like the BBQ Brethren site. Everyone is an elitist over there.

I am surprised there is even such a thing as a BBQ forum.
People get worked up about all sorts of things. For example, the difference from 'real' BBQ (where you dig a pit, fill it with hot coals and meat, and letting it sit there for hours) and what I call BBQ (flipping on the gas grill and throwing some burgers on it). One is obviously more work than the other, so I can very much imagine people getting worked up about it...

People get worked up about all sorts of things. For example, the difference from 'real' BBQ (where you dig a pit, fill it with hot coals and meat, and letting it sit there for hours) and what I call BBQ (flipping on the gas grill and throwing some burgers on it). One is obviously more work than the other, so I can very much imagine people getting worked up about it...

I suppose so. Digging a pit sounds a bit like hot stones in the ground that some New Zealand colleagues I had in London mentioned in the 80s. As I recall, it was called a hangi and was a traditional Māori method

Personally, I prefer a kitchen overall :)

Back