So is it this DL technique that is allowing you to do these insane quilts?

Lucky #7

LPCP162a.jpg

The quilts you guys have been putting up in the last week are freaking insane.

As a fan of the quilt maple myself, I only have two words for that. "HOLY FU@K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 

erik

I know, they are Amazing. There's a lot of wasted sawdust on the floor when you do a carved top. This DL technique lets us form the super figured quilt over the already carved standard maple underneath. It sure makes for some extraordinary looking bodies!

So basically you don't have to carve down into the maple as much and lose the quilt due to changes in the figuring?

Insert Quote
If you put one up there that is purple. I'd buy it. Instantly.

you could custom order one!

Brian

What about this one? Close enough for you?

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=LPCP94&menuItem=4&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0

Gregg said:
I know, they are Amazing. There's a lot of wasted sawdust on the floor when you do a carved top. This DL technique lets us form the super figured quilt over the already carved standard maple underneath. It sure makes for some extraordinary looking bodies!

but still.. It feels a bit like cheating. When I got my guitar, I saw this double lam, and I felt, at first, I was being ripped. Shortly after the arrival of my body, I saw this technique, and I already figured this must have been the case, but still... I have a solid quilt maple on another, old, warmoth, and that feels a bit more luxurious....

Orpheo said:
Gregg said:

but still.. It feels a bit like cheating. When I got my guitar, I saw this double lam, and I felt, at first, I was being ripped. Shortly after the arrival of my body, I saw this technique, and I already figured this must have been the case, but still... I have a solid quilt maple on another, old, warmoth, and that feels a bit more luxurious....
Yeah, it's a trade off. The alternative is just not to be able to offer Quilt Maple for carved tops. I'm hoping we can add other woods that are super expensive too like Flame Koa. Whether the top is thick or thin, the view is the same.

"I have a solid quilt maple on another, old, warmoth, and that feels a bit more luxurious...."

it's all in your mind, Orpheo.

W is probably getting three insane quilt tops outta the same hunk of wood they used to get one. Sounds good to me.

Brian

I think the reason they're doing them this way is because they couldn't get the same wood as before or it got too expensive.  I don't think they just decided to do it this way on purpose, though it has turned out quite nicely.

Lucky #7 said:
I think the reason they're doing them this way is because they couldn't get the same wood as before or it got too expensive.  I don't think they just decided to do it this way on purpose, though it has turned out quite nicely.

While quilt is through the roof; problem is it's harder to find pieces thick enough to do a carve top, plus it's more efficient usage of a limited resource. Can't argue with the results...

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
What about this one? Close enough for you?

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=LPCP94&menuItem=4&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0

Ah, not close enough! Thanks though. I'm talking deeeeeep deeeep purple.

bpmorton777 said:
Insert Quote
you could custom order one!

Brian

This is the plan  :glasses9: Of course the only factor right now is my money  :sad1: I'm gonna get the standard Warmoth purple dye (this right here) and hope it's bright enough for me :)

But, seeing as I don't really dig the LP bodies I'm gonna just get a flat-top soloist with the purple quilt. It's either that or a candy purple Iceman! :headbang1:

Gregg said:
Yeah, it's a trade off. The alternative is just not to be able to offer Quilt Maple for carved tops. I'm hoping we can add other woods that are super expensive too like Flame Koa. Whether the top is thick or thin, the view is the same.
Sir SchmoopY said:
i wanna see a bangle burst lp with a burl maple top

Hope they can do it someday with Flamed Spalted Maple  :evil4:

Lucky #7 said:

I don't mind the DL technique since the quilt tops are rare these days, the grain patterns are turning out very symmetric :icon_thumright: and that's a good thing.
I was expecting though the prices would go down. The LP's have been very expensive these last months and I don't think they would go down anytime soon.

bpmorton777 said:
"I have a solid quilt maple on another, old, warmoth, and that feels a bit more luxurious...."

it's all in your mind, Orpheo.

W is probably getting three insane quilt tops outta the same hunk of wood they used to get one. Sounds good to me.

Brian

I know, I know...but it still feels a bit wrong. If i knew it before I bought the body, no problem, but when I bought it, the double lam thing wasnt known yet to the public, and that still bugs me a bit.

"I was expecting though the prices would go down. The LP's have been very expensive these last months and I don't think they would go down anytime soon"

That's an unreasonable expectation...  If you look at the quality of the quilt being used for the DL carve tops, it's definitely 5A quilt; a thinner piece of that quality is going to cost as much as a thicker piece of lower quality. On top of that, physically making a DL carve top takes more time in labor than one CNC'ed from a single piece of wood, which leaves near the equivalent of another laminate top on the floor in dust.

The costs for ALL high grade exotic woods has done absolutely nothing but go up over the last few years and will continue to do so in the future. Sad fact of microeconomics... We need to figure out some way to stop the madness of wasting it on furniture/paneling/etc.

Back