snap, crackle, pop - help?

GoDrex

not sure where this should go but...

Any ideas why the screws for the control plate on my LP make static noises through the amp if I move and they rub against my clothes or if I touch them? It's pretty annoying. I never knew what it was before. I noticed it happening when I was bending to adjust my amp, and I though my cord was crackling (which wasn't making me happy either) but the cord is fine.

That's strange.  Are these static noises like if you rubbed the tip of the cord when plugging in?  It sounds like the screws are making contact with the hot lead somehow.  Possibly through any shielding or one of the push/pulls.

I take it it doesn't do that with your other grounded parts (bridge etc?)

Are the screws grounded by shielding foil or something?  I assume the are otherwise they couldn't affect the sound.  But the connection to ground might be weak.  Try measuring with an ohmmeter from one of the screws to the bridge or some grounded point.  It should be either infinite (open) or zero.

Which control plate are you referring to ?  Do you mean the screws holding your control cavity plate ?

If so, here is what you can do :-

If you have shielded the cover using copper conductive tape, remover a small area of the tape around each screw hole so that it will not be in contact with the ground circuit.

To reduce further cracle, use a piece of dryer anti-static sheet (ones they throw into the washing machine with clothes) and rub the plastic control cover to discharge any static present.

I'm referring to the one that the pots are under. It's my LP. The screws are going into the wood. I didn't use any shielding.

I just looked at it and it seems like it's because of the plastic cover is sort of close to the pots. I tried lowering them as much as possible, but it didn't seem to help. I guess the static on the plastic is getting in through the top of the push/pull pots.

Looks like I need one of TheKlanch's wood covers - -too bad he got banned.

I think he got hit with the ban stick again.  Its been two weeks since hes been on.  There's other guys that make them, but his prices were much better.

There's always the other way around, you could shield the cavity and cover.

Static is a bitch especially when the weather is dry. Try the dryer anti-static sheet first and see if it works.  Costs next to nothing if wifey's got some in the laundry room.

I know exactly what's happening.  It's static electricity that's building up and discharging through the plate.  Telecaster pickguards do the same thing.

The cure is to apply copper shielding to the back of the plastic cover, then ground the shielding.  That will create a path for the static electricity to go to ground instead of to the hot lead - where it makes that crackly sound.

Tried it and it seems to be working. Thanks for the tip Mayfly. :icon_thumright:

Back