Slapshot Neck Without a Floyd Rose?

80MP86PROC

I am looking to build a super strat style guitar with a slapshot reverse headstock, Gotoh tremolo and locking tuners.

Has anyone had any experience with slapshot necks with a standard nut with a non locking trem? is there is tendency for this type of neck without a floyd rose locking nut to go out of tune? I expect minimum use of the trem or even potentially going with a hard tail bridge

have no experience with this type of headstock other than my Kramer which has a locking nut.

Hi there, you should have all questions answered here:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32690.msg456283#msg456283

After a lot of fiddling around with lube, bar retainer height, truss rod adjustment and bridge tremming, i got my slapshot neck to be in tune like a charm without a locking nut. I think, if you stick with a floating trem, you'll be in trouble though tbh. You can check out guitar #4 in the April GoM submission to see how mine looks.

I would not recommend it. If you are not going to use the tremolo then a hardtail is a better option or if you are and have no locknut you need a straight non angled headstock.

See the other thread more discussion there.

I agree with stratamania. I am very relieved it worked out for me at the end but it caused me a lot of trouble and tweaking. If I could go back, I'd either go for a locking nut, a hardtail or, most likely, no more slapshot - despite the AWESOME looks :)

In the 80's before I got an actual Kramer Beretta, I bought Kramer Focus 100ST, just like the one pictured only in black. It has the non fine tuner Floyd and no locking nut. And I wanked the crap out of it for more than 20 years and never had any trouble out of it. But any guitar even without a trem can go out of tune. Even a stop tail bridge has it's problems. Les Pauls have been notorious since the beginning of time for being unstable...
000000113697162-00-1000x1000.jpg

Back