Single Coils and mahogany

rauchman

Greetings,

Contemplating new build ideas.....

For Strat'esque single coils, I can't say I recall ever seeing a mix of Strat SC's and mahogany.  Does this combo play together well?

Thinking of a Soloist in mahogany using single coils

My next build will have a mahogany strat body, probably a set of Lil 59's or Dimarzio mini hums.  Why? Because I like the sound of mahogany bodied guitars, and like these pups.  So why not combine them ... and make it a 12 string!

Go take a look at the videos. There are differences, you can hear them if you listen carefully. But... they're more like learning to tell the difference between your identical twin friends. After a while you learn it, but even their parents might mistake one for the other at a ball game.  It's just a personality coloration to celebrate, I wouldn't fret about it.

IMO Mahogany sounds great with single coils.
I have a 7/8 strat body in mahogany with two P90s and it sounds phenomenal.
Mahogany is my second favorite body wood (Korina/Limba) being my most favorite.

In case you have not seen "the video" yet,
Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k_A8GhN0L8&t=229s

and I personally can tell a big difference in sound, even from the video.

I find that mahogany has a lot of character with an open field of harmonics and lovely midrange that just sounds really pleasing. Limba/Korina to me is like a more focused version of that, less open and cuts through really well with strong fundamentals. Alder is just too boring and dull to me. I have owned three 7/8 warmoth bodies, alder, mahogany and black korina but I let the alder one go.

macrossgeorge said:
I find that mahogany has a lot of character with an open field of harmonics and lovely midrange that just sounds really pleasing. Limba/Korina to me is like a more focused version of that, less open and cuts through really well with strong fundamentals. Alder is just too boring and dull to me. I have owned three 7/8 warmoth bodies, alder, mahogany and black korina but I let the alder one go.

I agree with your take on Mahogany and Korina.
I have 1 Korina and 3 Mahogany bodies.
Most of my playing time is unplugged (no amp but with ear plugs in) and just going by the feel of the guitars
mahogany is my go-to.

The ear plugs dull the high "plink' of the pick so what I hear, and feel is mostly the resonance
and mahogany is more open and resonant than korina.
Korina is similar but with an extra bit of lower mids covering the "open" feel of the mahogany.

If I were to say mahogany was scooped out in the middle, then I'd also say korina was only about 1/2 as scooped out.

To me Alder is like chicken ... it goes with everything, hence its popularity.  I totally agree with your take on the Korina, a little less scooped mid.  Still tasty.

Back