Side project

Sadie-f

For now this (maple burl) will be a side table. Eventually I'll probably cut out a guitar body, replacing that part in the table with a matching insert.

3 layers of tung down and wet sanded with #500 paper. I have no idea how many layers I'll carry this to, it's fun to work on and also is my work surface for oiling the body I've got in progress.

Attachments

• 16503122535791.jpg
    16503122535791.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
That's interesting ... what kind of wood is that and how does one come-by such a chunk?

rick2 said:
That's interesting ... what kind of wood is that and how does one come-by such a chunk?

Oops, I should have said, post edited.

It's maple burl, bought at the local Rockler location.

To make a guitar body, it'll need another 5/8" thickness added, I'm sure I can find something good when the time comes.

I guess this is up to 10 coats of Tung, I've now switched to polymerized tung oil and I'm really only carrying it further because it's still serving as my work surface for the maple body.

I've also done some more wet sanding now with #600. It's going to be a nice table top :).

Attachments

• 16514098097160.jpg
    16514098097160.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
Excellent score on the Burl Sadie-f. I think it should work out nicely for what you have in mind. Good luck on the project............ :icon_thumright:

Back