Side jack hole too tight for switchcraft jack?

JonatanOTG

I'm trying to install a switchcraft jack in a strat body with 3/4" side jack hole.

I have to push it quite a bit to get the jack into the hole, but it should be tight anyway so I don't mind that. The problem is, when I then connect a guitar cable to the jack it won't go all the way in. Because the switchcraft jack has to expand a bit in order to lock the cable, you know.

It seems as the side jack hole is too tight. Perhaps I should have chosen the 7/8" side jack instead, but nevermind. Is this a common problem? Do I have to make the hole larger?

I think I can put the jack in a way that allows me to press the cable in, although with a looot of pressure - and I don't want to damage my guitar (more than necessary)...

You may have to go with a different type jack.  The Deep Panel mono jack by switchcraft will work on the 3/4" hole.

Bill

riverbluff said:
You may have to go with a different type jack. 
The Deep Panel mono jack by switchcraft will work on the 3/4" hole.
Yes I've done that .... but then I had to enlarge the hole in the Jackplate. (no drama thou)

I had a build like the OP one time and ...
I enlarged the inside of the hole with a dremel. Easy as ....  :icon_thumright:

After that happening to me that time, I now test with a plug inserted while finding where to mount.
Sometimes it's only 2 hairs width to fit neatly / snugly.

Always get the 7/8" side jack.  The football plate, square plate, and electosocket all work with that size.  The deep panel mono jack requires a 1/2" hole, not 3/4".

Updown said:
I had a build like the OP one time and ...
I enlarged the inside of the hole with a dremel. Easy as ....  :icon_thumright:

I think I'll try that, it can't be that hard  :icon_thumright:

I'm curious though, with the larger pre-drilled hole that Warmoth offers, is the jack hanging without touching the wood at all? Wouldn't that put a lot of pressure on the jack plate everytime you plug/unplug a cable?  :icon_scratch:

I'm not aware of any incidental contact of the jack and cavity lending structural integrity to the plate.  Ideally, you don't want the jack to touch anything but the plate. 

Updown said:
I now test with a plug inserted while finding where to mount.
Sometimes it's only 2 hairs width to fit neatly / snugly.

Perzactly. I have a loose 1/4" plug I use while placing the jackplate. Gives me something to hang on to, and insures the plug will insert/remove once the plate is mounted. Plus, always order the 7/8" hole.

I just did a Strat that had a 1/2" hole, and had to switch to the panel mount jack. It works, but I suspect the finish in that area of the body is going to get gouged up over time from feeling around with the plug to find the jack.

Back