Show me some Goncalo necks!

Disco Scottie

Really becoming intrigued by the look of Goncalo, but I haven't seen many on builds. If you've got 'em, show 'em! Also love to hear observations on tonal quality, stickiness, whether you have a different wood for the fretboard, etc.

I've not yet installed this neck on my tele, so can't comment the tone by my own... But the reports are that it is alike Mahogany with a bit fatter tone...

Sorry for the intrusion but I would ask:
what is more smooth to the touch goncalo, canary, wenge, indian rose o pauferro?
I've pauferro neck and it's simply incredible (next I would change, but always a wood no-painted/finish)

Bruno said:
what is more smooth to the touch goncalo, canary, wenge, indian rose o pauferro?
I've pauferro neck and it's simply incredible (next I would change, but always a wood no-painted/finish)

I can't speak to all of them, but I have a wenge and a pau ferro.  Both are GREAT feeling, but as far as straight-up smoothness, pau ferro wins.  It's much more tight grained and less porous than the wenge (at least on my two necks).   

Jmohill said:
Bruno said:

I can't speak to all of them, but I have a wenge and a pau ferro.   Both are GREAT feeling, but as far as straight-up smoothness, pau ferro wins.   It's much more tight grained and less porous than the wenge (at least on my two necks).   

How would you characterize the sound of the pau ferro neck? Does it have a different fretboard wood, or is it all one piece?

me too:

July212008024.jpg

Bruno said:

Wenge is a bit coarse... Gonçalo is really smooth... great feel!

Disco Scottie said:
Jmohill said:
Bruno said:

I can't speak to all of them, but I have a wenge and a pau ferro.   Both are GREAT feeling, but as far as straight-up smoothness, pau ferro wins.   It's much more tight grained and less porous than the wenge (at least on my two necks).   

How would you characterize the sound of the pau ferro neck? Does it have a different fretboard wood, or is it all one piece?

My neck is pauferro/pauferro.
IMO it sounds ~like~ maple

Ha, he asked to see your wood  :toothy12: :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7: :toothy10: :toothy11: :laughing8:

hey . . . I'm fine with seeing wood as long as it ain't Bret Favres  :tard:

So, good story from this last week . . . My roommates and I are all sitting around, watching some HIMYM, when one of the guys (who is on ESPN on his laptop), reads us the news on Number 4's . . . er, "exploits". He mentions that the original source for the information is a video. Next thing you know (naturally,) my other roommate finds the link to the video, and proceeds to watch it. It is a pretty standard news report-style video, complete with one special detail . . . pictures :eek:. Actual pictures :tard:. Of Bret Favre :sad1:. And not just of Bret Favre, but OF BRET FAVRE :help:, if you know what I mean . . .

So now at every possibility, we all remind him, "hey, Nick :glasses10: . . . by the way :icon_biggrin: . . . you've seen Bret Favre :toothy12:"  :cool01:

Disco Scottie said:
Jmohill said:
Bruno said:

It's tough for me to characterize pao vs . other woods...it's the only neck I've had on this particular guitar, and it's the only warmoth pro construction neck that I have.  A bit brighter, like maple, I'd guess?  And it is all pau ferro, but it is a two-piece.  I don't think one-piece is an option with pau ferro.    I begged and pleaded for W to make me a vintage modern 1-piece, and they said they don't stock pau in the appropriate size to do it (at least on a tele neck).  I'm really pleased with what I have though...the guitar as a total package sounds superb!

and SOUND is what really counts (although, most warmoths tend to do pretty good in the looks department as well  :laughing7:)

Its not a Warmoth neck, its Karosa.  But its beautiful.  I recently sliced it open and put in a new Truss Rod.

5222109717_e5ab828ef9_z.jpg

5081404949_4302d6fab2.jpg

3242523018_0311f371b0.jpg

3242520220_7604034b7e.jpg

Wow, thanks to this thread I'm pretty sure I'm going to order a Goncalo Alves neck myself! I thought it was darker so I didn't want it just because of the looks but damn, looks great!

Back